X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Questions - new here :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 12:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Questions - new here :)

Ok, I love my jaguar and although Im a clueless girl when it comes to most things vehicular I have been able to take pretty good care of my car until now.

My AC suddenly stopped blowing cool air. The freon is full and right pressure. Air compressor is kicking on, fuses are ok.

I have looked online and some say it could be my ac compressor relay switch? I have an appointment to get it diagnosed by the only shop in my little town that will look at it and its going to cost me 75 bucks just for them to tell me what is wrong.

Sorry if this is repetitive, I did a search and didnt find much, but do any of you have any tips on what the problem could be? When Im driving at 30 mph and higher, the temp seems "slightly" cooler, but nothing comfortable.

Thanks for any advice. I hate driving in 100 degree weather with no ac in a black X-type.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Problem

Similar problem here, just come back from the independent dealer i bought the car from, they pressure tested, re gassed, no obvious leaks, compressor working, clutch engaging, but no cold air! Even 75 deg is too hot in a black jag in Berkshire :-)
Thanks

Old 05-28-2012, 07:27 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

effy/Chris, first off, welcome to the site. You will be able to learn a lot about your cars here. You will find that people are very friendly here and we like to chat and have fun. But, we do ask that you stop by the "New Member" section and introduce yourself. We are funny in that regards. We try to be that slightly different car group. We have lots of fun. This will also allow you to see who the movers and shakers are.

Based on your problem, you have 2 possibilities. You have a blend door that is stuck/failed and it is keeping it in the "heat mode". So, even though the A/C system is functioning properly, the air is not getting blown over the cooling coils, hence your no cold air. The other possibility is the compressor in our cars has a known weakness. But the fix for this is also really easy (but not something the average back yard mechanic can fix). There is a spring inside the compressor that gets weak and will result in the loss of cooling. The spring needs to be removed and the internal pieces rearranged. To do this though, you need to have the freon system evacuated, the work done, then refilled. If you need the TSB number to give your mechanic something to look at to help guide them, let me know.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

It could also be the fan controller module or fan. If you put your car in park and pop the hood, then turn the AC on max. You should see and hear the cooling fan turn on and feel a lot of air coming up from the engine bay. If this doesn't happen, that will also kill your AC performance. If your engine temp also rises when stuck in traffic, this is probably the problem.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ler-bad-71927/

Last edited by blaydes99; 05-29-2012 at 02:37 PM.