Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

x type estate, split fold boot

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default x type estate, split fold boot

hi all,
sorry its not the most imaginative of titles! i am having problems opening the glass split fold tailgate, the button depresses but nothing, is it common on these and is there a solution?

many thanks
andy

Old 07-26-2013, 05:34 PM
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

In a sedan, pushing the button to open the trunk ( boot ) just fires a solenoid that trips the latch. There might be an electrical problem. Does it make any noise at all when you push it? My solenoid is pretty quiet but if you listen, you can hear it.

Non of this applies if they didn't use the same idea on a different latch. Sedan vs Estate.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:32 PM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

Andy, Welcome to the site. I have both parts if you need them. Message me and I will let you know the price on each one.

Thanks and good luck,
The Dr!

Old 07-26-2013, 08:34 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Andy, first off, welcome to the Forums. I think you will find a lot of very useful information here. But, we do ask a simple thing from you. Please stop by the New Member Section and introduce yourself. We are quirky in that we like to get to know one another. This will also give you a chance to meet the movers and shakers of the site. May even get a surprise or two when you do it too.

As for your problem. First off, if you press the button to open the lift gate (not the glass), I am assuming that works. If that is the case, then I know the ground wires are good. Now, what I need you to do is to access the back of the "Tail Glass" switch. You will find that there are 2 wires there. Using a paper clip (or a short piece of stiff wire), what I want you to do is to short the two wires together by sticking the paper clip into the back side of the plug. Did the glass pop open? If yes, then your problem is a bad switch. Get a new switch and install it. If the glass did not pop open, then re-install the switch.

Now, you will need to remove the trim off of the lift gate so you can access the actuator for the glass. If you look at the actuator, you should see a 4 wire plug attached to the actuator. You will need to locate the green wire with a black stripe. Now, using a multimeter set to monitor resistance, stick the red lead into the back of the plug and then hold the black lead against any bare piece of metal on the body. Does the multimeter read 5 ohms or less? If no, then you have a bad glass actuator and it will need replaced. If yes, then the "Glass Shut" switch is good. Switch the multimeter over to read DC Voltage and then hold the red lead to the white wire (keeping the black lead to the metal of the body). With the aide of a second person, attempt to open the glass. Did the multimeter jump up to 12 VDC (anything over 10 VDC is good)? If yes, you have a bad actuator. If no, then you have either a wiring problem between the actuator and the GEM module or you have a bad GEM module.

Hope this helps and if you need more assistance, let me know.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:02 PM
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Old 07-07-2015, 07:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr dome
Andy, Welcome to the site. I have both parts if you need them. Message me and I will let you know the price on each one.

Thanks and good luck,
The Dr!
How much for the switch for the glass section pal including delivery?