X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-type few issues

Old 06-08-2012, 04:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-type few issues

Hi all,
I have bought an accident damaged(front end) 2001 xtype. Have done the main work to get her on the road again so she is running and to be honest running well. I have a constant ECL and abs light And have ordered a code reader so should be pointed in the right direction by that. I am a bit stumped by my cruise control not working though, I have no messages to say it is unavailable. I was hopping that by fixing the ECL light it would cure that problem will have to wait and see. I have checked the fuses which are all ok, just find it unusual as no display warning to say unavailable as that is all I can find in the searches on here. I am thinking maybe the switch on the steering wheel or the break micro switches from what I have read. When I first put her back together there was a few misfires and jittery pulling away but had been sat for a while although the seller didn't mention that but the moss on the window rubbers told a different story. She now pulls like a train and runs so quiet it is unbelievable for an 11 year old car so I am happy. Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on the cruise control issue.

Thanks in advance

Old 09-24-2012, 02:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there

Don't know if you were albe to fix the cruise control on your X-type. I drive a 2002 3.0 a/t. The cruise control was working for more than a year now, but since I bought the car the ABS and hand brake lights were on and would occasionaly go of for two seconds, till the speed exceeds the speed at which the doors lock - almost immediatly after driving off. And then they stay on for weeks. I thought I would lift the beauty and remove the wheels to see the effect when I remove the wheel sensors. I could only remove the front sensors with ease and then time was running out. After I have everything restored again, the cruis contol was not working. When I push the swich on button, nothing appears on the message centre as if no buttons were pushed, and no response when I continue with the other buttons.

If you were able to fix your X-types cruise control troubles, what have you done to fix it?

Kind regards

Wiekus

Old 09-25-2012, 11:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Addressing the ABS light. You definitely need to put a code reader on it. write down all the codes it shows then reset the code logs and pull the codes again to see what shows up. A bad ABS speed sensor is what most likely causing the light to come on. If the car has been in an accident be sure to trace the ABS speed sensor wires to make sure none of them has been frayed like mine. Remove the trouble sensor and clean it thouroughly then using a flash light check inside the hole that the sensor fits into and make sure you still have teeth on the gear inside. This is how the sensor gets it's data and if the gear teeth are worn out your problem will cost more then just 50-80 bucks. make sure the contact rings are clean. that's the part where the hex screw goes on the sensor and the on the car.

I did this for all sensors even though I only had a problem with one just for maintenance sake. In my case I did not end up needing a sensor, due to the accident the car was in somehow the ABS sensor wire on the RR was damaged. I had to resplice the wires and I was good as new. Put the code reader back on the car and reset the codes and bye bye check engine light.