X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X type Help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 12:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default X type Help please

X type 2.2d Estate sport. I have vibration only under power ( not when coasting) at around 50mph and above. It is quite severe. Shaking steering wheel. I had wheels balanced today. Still there. I also noticed a noisy clunk when I change gear especially when I put it into reverse and start reversing. It happens going forward too after each gear shift. From what I have read ( I am no mechanic) it might be a universal joint that is causing both things? Any advice??? Also I understand on this car you cannot replace the u joint as the drive shaft comes as a sealed unit. Is this true? The transmission noise is a loud clicking, minor clunking. Many many thanks. Patrick

Old 12-17-2017, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 634 Posts

CV joint?

Old 12-17-2017, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

+1 on the CV Joint. The front axles are of the Constant Velocity Joint design and are replaced as assemblies. To determine if it is one or both you need to lift the front wheels off the ground and rotate it back and forth. There should be no play when the wheel and axle moves if the wheel moves and then the axle that joint has gone bad. Another indicator is torn rubber boots that cover the joint. They allow water to wash the grease out of the joint and accelerate the wear.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paddyt
X type 2.2d Estate sport. I have vibration only under power ( not when coasting) at around 50mph and above. It is quite severe. Shaking steering wheel. I had wheels balanced today. Still there. I also noticed a noisy clunk when I change gear especially when I put it into reverse and start reversing. It happens going forward too after each gear shift. From what I have read ( I am no mechanic) it might be a universal joint that is causing both things? Any advice??? Also I understand on this car you cannot replace the u joint as the drive shaft comes as a sealed unit. Is this true? The transmission noise is a loud clicking, minor clunking. Many many thanks. Patrick
I had the same issue. Rebalanced the tires did the alignment changed brake rotors then bam driveshaft bolts snapped at the rear differential. Also mine is not diesel Good luck.