X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X Type iPod / iPhone adapter?

Old 01-29-2009, 12:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X Type iPod / iPhone adapter?

I've searched the forums here and on the internet and haven't been able to find any suitable iPod (touch) or iPhone adapter that will allow me to play music through the stock CD head unit. I know the Jaguar ACM is available, but obviously for a large price!

I read on here, I believe, about a possible ACM substitute from Kenwood, or some other well known brand that basically allowed an AUX ports to hook up iPods and USB memory sticks. Does anyone know what I'm referring to?

Or are there any other suggestions on how to hook up an iPod to the stock CD player? I've seen the FM modulators, but heard nothing but bad things about them.

Any suggestions or lists of the parts you are using to do what I'm trying to do would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Thanks!
Jon

Old 01-29-2009, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: X Type iPod / iPhone adapter?

for what a new head unit would cost (not to mention how bad they look), for as bad as the FM modulators are, and for any rigging you would do to the stock radio.... the ACM is the way to go. It is hands down the best feature my kitty has!

Old 01-29-2009, 09:35 PM

Thanks jvegas! Does anyone know where to an ACM up relatively cheaply? I've installed stereo's before in previous vehicles. Is the install very hard or is it something the dealership has to do?

Thanks!
Jon

Old 01-30-2009, 12:11 AM
Veteran Member

if you know what you are doing, I don't see why you cant tackle the job yourself. I don't know of anywhere to get one cheap (what ever cheap is). maybe one of the guys on here will come along and offer you help in that department.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:21 AM

Thanks! Anyone have any suggestions?

Jon

Old 01-31-2009, 08:45 PM

Anyone? Can anyone tell me where I can buy an ACM online? I've looked but apparently I'm not too good at searching! I would just go to my "local" Jaguar dealer, but they're over an hour away.

Any links would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Jon

Old 02-01-2009, 02:10 PM

Thanks Breeze! Looks like a definite possibility! I'm going to do some more research on it. If you do get it, please let me know what you think!

Thanks!
Jon

Old 02-02-2009, 12:20 AM
Veteran Member

can't the dealer ship it to you?

Old 02-02-2009, 12:29 AM

That's always a possibility. I wasn't going to get into it, but the Jaguar dealership here in Saint Louis has jerked me around more than once and I really don't want to deal with them again.

Long story... I had a leaking transfer case, so I had the seal fixed at a local repair shop. I wanted them to top off the fluids in the TC since it had been leaking. They told me I would have to go to the dealership for that. So I call the dealership and they told me that normally they have to drop the TC to do it, but they have a way they can do it now and it would cost me approximately $150 in labor and $100 for the fluid. Not cheap, but not terribly expensive. So I make an appointment, drive an hour to get there. Wait an hour because the main tech I was talking to was running late. He pulls my car into their bay then comes back with the bad news. He was mistaken when he quoted me the above amount on the phone and the only way to top off the fluid would be to drop the TC. He quoted me $4,200 to do it. I was almost on the floor with laughter. That amount just to fill up a pint of fluid!!! I later did the method mentioned on here for under $50 and about an hour of my time. Anyway, that's why I don't want to deal with the Saint Louis Jaguar dealer :-)

Anyway, I'm liking what I see with the link posted above. I just want to do a little more research. My main goal is to have the sound quality as close to CD as possible, so I just don't want to have to do this over again.

Thanks for the replies!
Jon