X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X Type roof rack?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 05:43 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default X Type roof rack?

Anybody know who makes them for our cars and where is a good place to get one?

I searched google but all the manufacturers I found dont carry anything for the X. Mine has the mounting points on the roof though, so there's got to be something out there.

I want to carry a bike on it, BTW. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit... Nevermind just found one and ordered. I guess I'll just post pics in this thread when it arrives!

Last edited by ufoz8mycow; 03-15-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

A bit late but there are a number available, dealer,Thule,MontBlanc,Halfords etc

Old 03-16-2010, 03:08 PM

Yeah for some reason when I was googling it before nothing came up but I had another go with the search and found what I needed - Thule.

Walking around car shows is for the birds... Gotta bring the bike!

Old 03-16-2010, 09:18 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I see you got one but figured I'd post for anybody else who's looking. I got one a few months back as my x type doesn't have a split fold down rear seat so it makes it difficult to haul skis and my 4 year old. The Thule seemed quite pricey so I ordered one from www.jagparts.com 2 days later I got a call that Jag superceded the part number with a blank number and they couldn't get it. Searched www.partsvoice.com (which is a dealer inventory site) and found one in this country. Cost me $200 shifpped and it is definately a Thule model. Looks decent but of course not quite right on a jag. Definately makes some noise at highway speed. Quieter with a rocketboc though.

Jag part number is (was) C2S1669

Other option is to get a hitch and a hitch mounted rack.
Jag pa

Old 03-16-2010, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

please post up some pics when you get it installed, im curious to see what it looks like.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by benebob
I see you got one but figured I'd post for anybody else who's looking. I got one a few months back as my x type doesn't have a split fold down rear seat so it makes it difficult to haul skis and my 4 year old. The Thule seemed quite pricey so I ordered one from www.jagparts.com 2 days later I got a call that Jag superceded the part number with a blank number and they couldn't get it. Searched www.partsvoice.com (which is a dealer inventory site) and found one in this country. Cost me $200 shifpped and it is definately a Thule model. Looks decent but of course not quite right on a jag. Definately makes some noise at highway speed. Quieter with a rocketboc though.

Jag part number is (was) C2S1669

Other option is to get a hitch and a hitch mounted rack.
Jag pa
$200 shipped for a Thule? I'm assuming that's just for the crossbars or is that including some attachments to carry stuff?

And I'd rather have six elbows and gout than put a hitch on the back of my car.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:11 AM
ud

Originally Posted by ufoz8mycow
$200 shipped for a Thule? I'm assuming that's just for the crossbars or is that including some attachments to carry stuff?

And I'd rather have six elbows and gout than put a hitch on the back of my car.
No its the Jag version but looks exactly like a thule.

You might reconsider once you hear the wind noise at 120mph about the hitch. I got one for mine. I think it will be cute carrying a utility trailer around.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member

i think the jag will look sweet with a roof rack, my friend has a roof rack on his bmw 3 series and it makes the car look sporty for some reason.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:48 PM

Yeah some cars look pretty decent with them on... I wont be one of those people that keeps it on all the time though, only if I actually need to use it. The Jag gets crappy enough gas mileage as it is.

The thing that kills me is when I see this guy in my neighborhood who drives a Prius around with an empty Yakima rack on top always... There goes your 40mpg buddy.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:26 PM
ud

You can come take mine of anytime. Too much work. I'll try to post pics but it doesn't do much for the x type lines imo.

Originally Posted by ufoz8mycow
Yeah some cars look pretty decent with them on... I wont be one of those people that keeps it on all the time though, only if I actually need to use it. The Jag gets crappy enough gas mileage as it is.

The thing that kills me is when I see this guy in my neighborhood who drives a Prius around with an empty Yakima rack on top always... There goes your 40mpg buddy.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:43 AM
Veteran Member

a prius with a roof rack, now thats one to see lol

Old 03-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Roof bars versus towbar

I bought a Thule bike rack which mounts to the towball. I was a little sceptical of the whole load being taken purely by the ball, but it worked perfectly. It also meant no whistling, flapping straps or otherwise.

If you don't like having a bar permanently sticking out the rear of the car go for one of the detachable ones - they work well.

The other benefit of the rear mounted rack is that there is much less chance of damaging the paintwork or your back.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:25 PM
ud

I would highly recommend that anyone who gets a rack which comes with the Jaguar rack paint guards which go between the rubber and the paint to throw them away. I waxed the area prior to putting them on in early February, took them off today when I took the rack off for the summer and wouldn't you know it I'm now between spray touching up the black trim piece which pulled about a quarter size paint chip off. One of the others pulled a few specs of actual body paint off.

Great idea Jaguar. Need body shop business?

BTW I did snap a pic of my car with the rack on. Hopefully I'll have it posted tonight for those who want to see what a rack looks like on an X type.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:28 PM
ud

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x203/benebob/Jag/

Pic of the Jaguar OEM rack on the car. Looks very like a Thule to me!

Old 09-09-2014, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof rack

When I put my Jag roof rack on there was a procedure to follow, first remove the tiny covers which cover the threaded holes to mount the racks, then use allen bolt (supplied) to clear the threads of a black sticky goo apparently put in during the cars assembly to stop moisture running into the holes from the channel. anyway the black goo'y stuff was still covering the holes so it's either been there from new or someone has resealed the holes after they removed a rack sometime during it's earlier life, does anyone know what it is and do I have to reseal everytime I use the rack? which could be weekly. my local motor store who usually know everything didn't have a clue as all the stuff he sells sets hard which would be no good,

Old 09-10-2014, 07:41 PM
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts