X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Type Trip computer dead!

Old 01-31-2013, 03:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default X-Type Trip computer dead!

Hello Guys,

I have got Jaguar X-type 3.0 auto year 2001 and my trip computer and cruise control don't work completely. Trip computer doesn't display at all, so I can't check total mileage of the car or how many miles to the gallon I'm doing or how many miles I have got left on the tank. I have been looking online for while now, but nobody seem to have exactly the same problem. Another weird thing is that I'm not getting any warning lights on the dash and car drives faultless. I have checked most of the cables and fuses, but found nothing wrong with it. It has been like it for over 6 months. I know I could scan the car at Jag dealers, but trying to find fault myself to save the costs.
Please help. Any sugestions will be much appreciated.
Regards,
Chris.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:21 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Chris, the best advice that I can give you is to see what codes you have. You have a few different routes you can take. There is always the dealership (tends to be expensive, especially if you are getting the codes read over and over). Option 2 is to get a cheap code reader (can get them for around $40 USD) or you can go the "ELM 327" route and then download a free app (appropriately named "Torque") to use a laptop or a smart phone and monitor the car that way (I just did this, cost me $15 USD). The final method is to stop by your local auto parts stores and atleast here in the US, they will read the codes for you and tell you what the codes are.

As for your issue, I would first start off with checking fuse F84 (5 amp fuse) and make sure that is not blown. Another indication that you have a blow fuse is to watch the car as you start it at the little circle in the wood for the passenger air bag status. If that doesn't light up, this would be a sign that your airbag system is not functioning properly (ie, is not seeing the passenger in the seat and may/may not deploy the airbag in the event of an accident). From there, with the codes, we can get your problem resolved. If you find the fuse blown, install a new fuse and it blows again, let me know and I will help you get it figured out at that point.

The following users liked this post:
chrisp1981 (02-01-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 02:43 AM
GGG
Received 16,758 Likes on 12,147 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Chris, the best advice that I can give you is to see what codes you have.......
+1

This is the only place to start with a Jaguar otherwise it's guesswork and speculation. A Code Reader will be your best friend with these issues.

I replied to another of your posts asking whether the Instrument Pack light sequence check was running at startup. From you comment here, it seems it may not be.

This could be due to the two Instrument Pack harness connectors (item 2) not being seated:

X-Type Trip computer dead!-x-type-instrument-pack.jpg

The connectors on the back of the Instrument Pack have locking clips to ensure positive connection. Loose or damaged connectors cause many strange faults.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
chrisp1981 (02-01-2013)