XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

2017 XE -- can't talk to Siri over Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 10:00 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 2017 XE -- can't talk to Siri over Bluetooth

I have a 2017 XE with the newer infotainment system. I'm finding that I cannot talk to Siri over Bluetooth. This is the case with both my phone and my wife's iPhone (6s and 6s+ with the latest iOS 9).

When I'm in the car I can make and receive calls and stream music. But when I long-press the home button or wake up the phone with "Hey Siri", audio to and from the phone is completely dead. I don't hear the tone Siri makes when it wakes up, and the voice input wave graphic stays flatlined when I try to talk to it. It seems like audio is being routed to the car system because I can't use the phone's own speaker/mic to interact with Siri, but the car is not doing the right thing with it.

This works as expected on other cars, including earlier Jaguar and Range Rover models (various 2013-2016 models). It looks like the new Pro infotainment system screwed something up.

Anyone have any insight or experiences to share?

Old 12-04-2016, 09:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having the exact same issue on my new 2016 XJ. I have called Jaguar twice and also my dealer's service department is stumped as well. Let me know if you find a solution or work around. In the meantime, I have found the Jaguar voice system works well for calling others, but I can not text anyone via voice commands. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:51 PM

There is no workaround. I know exactly what is happening, and either Jaguar (less likely) or Apple (more likely) will need to make a fix.

There's a specific Bluetooth profile for this functionality. However, it is routine for car systems to advertise that they support this profile but implement it incorrectly. Specifically, the car system does not enable the microphone when it should.

As a result, handset manufacturers use a workaround: when communicating with a car Bluetooth system known to be broken, they initiate a dummy phone call instead of using the (busted) more specific Bluetooth profile. You can see this in action quite readily on the older JLR Infotainment system -- when using Siri you will see that the car shows a call in progress with your own phone number.

The problem is almost certainly that the newer JLR systems are not in the iPhone's internal list of car systems known to be broken. Therefore the workaround is not applied, and Siri doesn't work over Bluetooth.

JLR really should fix this, but my guess is that they won't ever do so. Eventually someone at Apple who owns one of these cars will hit the bug and they'll wind up adding the newer JLR Bluetooth system to the known-busted list.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:35 PM

Thank you very much, that was very helpful. What is the best mechanism to provide feedback to Apple and JLR?

Old 12-04-2016, 11:21 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

I can use Siri on my iPhone 6 in my old XJR and the LR2 over Bluetooth, you just need to press/hold the button on the phone itself to activate it, it then starts a "call" on the touchscreen.

Same for calls on Skype, voice calls on FB Messenger or WhatsApp.

You can't initiate anything from the steering wheel or touchscreen though, only from the phone itself.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:24 AM

Thanks all for the feedback. I have tried from the phone itself, but it behaves as tai4de2 described in the original post. The mic is not enabled so Siri just sits and waits and can not hear me, so it does not work.

The following users liked this post:
MikeOxmall (02-09-2024)
Old 12-06-2016, 01:58 PM

yeah it basically acts as if you are on a phone call, if you yell it will actually work I don't know if it is because the car's mic becomes activate or what but yelling isn't ideal for using siri in that way obviously. Also side note, I wish jaguar just gave in to apple carplay instead of making their own solution (incontrol apps)

Old 12-06-2016, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo
I can use Siri on my iPhone 6 in my old XJR and the LR2 over Bluetooth, you just need to press/hold the button on the phone itself to activate it, it then starts a "call" on the touchscreen
Yes, but the point of this thread is that this stops working on newer JLR models, for the reason I described a few posts back.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:29 PM
Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by drewguy
yeah it basically acts as if you are on a phone call, if you yell it will actually work I don't know if it is because the car's mic becomes activate or what but yelling isn't ideal for using siri in that way obviously. Also side note, I wish jaguar just gave in to apple carplay instead of making their own solution (incontrol apps)
I believe Jaguar has recently changed tack/caved in and will support carplay sometime soon. Not that that helps current owners.

For what it's worth, siri works fine on my ICT Premium system by pressing the home button on the handset. It apparently used to work from the steering wheel voice button too, buy this stopped from around IOS 8.4 onwards. As an alternative tp shouting, have you tried turning the volume of the radio/music down?

Last edited by stever_51; 12-06-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:12 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by tai4de2
Yes, but the point of this thread is that this stops working on newer JLR models, for the reason I described a few posts back.
Heh heh, guess I should have read al the posts in the thread first!

Old 12-14-2016, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my new XE (with the 8-inch inControl), Siri works. You press the button on the phone, and Siri works through the car speakers.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:01 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Out of curiosity, do you have the Jaguar Incontrol Apps app on your phone, and is your phone attached to the car via USB?

Old 12-14-2016, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by booklaw1
Out of curiosity, do you have the Jaguar Incontrol Apps app on your phone, and is your phone attached to the car via USB?
The phone is not connected through USB. I do have the Incontrol Apps on my phone, but it's not running, so I don't think it should make a difference.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:30 AM

Are you sure Siri is hearing you through the car microphone?
Did you install any updates on your iPhone recently?

Last edited by tai4de2; 12-16-2016 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:06 AM

Are you sure Siri is hearing you through the car microphone?
Did you install any updates on your iPhone recently?
Siri speaks through the car speakers, that's clear. Now, if Siri listens through the car microphone or the phone microphone is harder to tell. My phone is in the pocket. And Siri connects as a phone call. So, I would assume it listens through the car microphone.

I have an iPhone with the latest iOS.

Old 12-16-2016, 05:54 AM
Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ahost
In my new XE (with the 8-inch inControl), Siri works. You press the button on the phone, and Siri works through the car speakers.
It sounds like it is an ICT Pro issue as opposed to a general MY17 problem.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

I have this same issue on my 10' Pro, and I also can say I don't like the behavior or BT Profile Jag uses for mobile device connection. I don't hear any of my texts come in anytime try phone is connected to the Jag. Its as if it mutes all notifications on my phone except when the phone rings. I can drive 2 hour trips and never know I got any texts, etc unless I check for them or see the phone screen light up. ( iPhone 7 +)

I am pretty sure these issues is just the BT profile jag decided to use and not a defect imho

Old 12-23-2016, 12:46 AM

It's not jaguar who decides the profile, it's apple. In any case the notification behavior described sounds correct, and even if not it would be a separate issue from the Siri issue we're discussing.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

It's not jaguar who decides the profile, it's apple. In any case the notification behavior described sounds correct, and even if not it would be a separate issue from the Siri issue we're discussing.

Not sure I agree as my same phone works so different i the rest of my cars. Just the Jaguar profile is whacky and very poor.

Old 12-25-2016, 09:02 AM

I may have misunderstood you. I read your statement to mean the profile negotiated at connection time between phone and car. But maybe you simply meant the handsfree profile(s) as Jaguar has implemented them.

I think all of the weird behaviors may boil down to the behavior I described, e.g. the iPhone not having the newer system in its internal list of cars that require phone-side workarounds to get stable and correct functionality for various features.

Quick Reply: 2017 XE -- can't talk to Siri over Bluetooth