XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Bloomberg-

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Bloomberg XE review

A surprisingly scathing review, but then this woman suffers from extreme German bias and nitpicks on EVERYTHING.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/2...110017462.html

The 2017 Jaguar XE Falls Behind the Competition—and Other Jaguars

By HANNAH ELLIOTT, Bloomberg

Jaguar has done great things lately.

The sexy F-Type is the best-looking coupe of its caliber you can buy for under $70,000; the XF is a welcome fresh face among a sea of interchangeably good and mostly boring sedans. The F-Pace SUV, with its cool-cat good looks, novelty, and relative affordability, will probably capture conquest buyers from Cadillac, Lexus, and Infiniti.

Unfortunately, the new 2017 XE doesn’t push the company nearly as far forward as those do. Instead, if you compare the $34,900 sedan against such class leaders as the BMW 3-Series, Audi A4, and Mercedes C Class, it feels inferior. This isn’t a step backward for Jag per se—it struggled far more under Ford Motor Co. ownership until Tata bought it in 2008—but in the ultra-competitive luxury sedan segment, the XE feels behind schedule.

More from Bloomberg.com: Uber to Sell China Business to Rival Didi After Losing Billions

A Mixed Bag Behind the Wheel

The new XE is certainly better than its predecessor. How could it not be? This was Jaguar's first smallish sport sedan in nearly a decade, following Jag's introduction of the X-Type line in 2009. The $57,545 XE 35t R-Sport that I drove comes with a 3.0-liter V6 engine supercharged to 340 horsepower and 332 pound-feet of torque.

A 240hp, rear-wheel-drive model and an 180hp diesel version in RWD or AWD are also available, but if you’re getting the Jag, stick with the R-Sport. Base price on this version is $51,700, and upgrades add more. The very base model of the XE, the XE 25T, has a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine and starts at $34,900.

More from Bloomberg.com: Why China Is Handing Soldiers Big Payouts to Retire Quietly

That’s plenty of power—more than in the 340i xDrive ($47,800). It’s also, I should say, less power than offered by the cheaper C450 AMG ($50,800), which at 4.8 seconds is also much faster to reach 60 miles per hour. The XE has a loose lack of urgency you don’t feel in either of them.

Zero to 60mph in the XE takes 5.1 seconds; top speed is 120mph. Once you get really going, you’ll feel fine: The XE performs capably and supplely, like a well-fed tomcat making neighborhood rounds. The eight-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifting is appropriately smooth and light; I barely noticed its presence last week driving out to Rockaway Beach. I did notice, though, that the brakes suffer some disappointing fading if you punch them hard.

More from Bloomberg.com: Backlash Grows Over Trump's Comments on Dead Muslim Soldier's Parents

Jaguar has updated the electronic power steering, with intelligent stop-start (which I promptly deactivated on account of its annoying nature) and torque vectoring, which we are seeing with such prevalence and success in this segment that I predict it’ll be de rigueur in all sedans within a few years. The improvements are necessary and good, though not enough to make this car as even-keeled, responsive on straightaways, or nuanced around corners as the competitors from Audi, BMW, and Mercedes. (Are you catching a pattern here? Yes, those three are better; and yes, I keep bringing them up. Jaguar should be eyeing them above all as it continues to improve product. Consider it an automotive #Squadgoal.)

The bottom line is that you will find the XE more than capable; as a stand-alone sedan, it certainly deserves to be in the premium class. On paper, the numbers are competitive, with performance superior to what we find at lower pricing levels. I don't even have a beef with the rotary-dial controller that switches you into park, neutral,and drive, though others have criticized it as retrograde. But there is a gap in real-time performance—and interiors—between the XE and the front of the pack.

A Handsome Sedan

On the outside, Jaguar has sculpted this sedan well enough to elicit surprise from casual observers. One friend in Queens (an Audi man, mostly) voiced his unexpected pleasure at its svelte body and athletically wide (for a sedan) stance. I tend to agree. The XE is distinctive looking, even slightly more dynamic across the body than Audi’s updated A4. The diamond-lattice front grille is offset nicely with the red scowl of the Jaguar logo; the red caps on the 19-inch rims carry the red idea down through the sides and rear of the car.

If you should glance at the XE from the rear, I doubt you will be able to identify it as a Jaguar unless you see the badge. Then again, given a blind, badge-less test of most of cars in this segment, few would find it easy to differentiate one brand from another. Still, the quad tailpipes and curled trunk lip look good. Jaguar has done a thoughtful job here, and it shows.

Standard packaging on XE R-Sport brings keyless entry, blind-spot monitoring, adaptive headlamps, “sport” badging, and parking aids, among other technology. The model I drove also came with Rhodium silver metallic paint ($550) and 20-inch propeller 10-spoke wheels ($1,000), which are welcome additions to make the car look more your own. Add those, choose a darker color for the exterior paint, and you’ve got yourself a handsome, if a little reticent, compact luxury car.

Internal Drama

Life inside the XE, unfortunately, brings some confusion. Each door is split into virtually three levels—one that controls windows, one that controls locks, and a top ledge thing that is the most convenient to grab when closing the door after you. It’s unclear why the three functions weren’t grouped together in one minimalistic handle, as in most other cars.

Elsewhere, I expect you might find the 10-way “sport” seats a notch more comfortable than the chairs in your average dental waiting room, but not much more than that. Remind me (again) why we need sport seats in a sedan? The backs are flat—and harder than we should expect nowadays in this segment.

You may also find the 10.2-inch touchscreen ($2,700, part of the Technology Package) frustrating in its responsiveness, or rather, lack thereof. The graphics and resolution should be better, and so should the plastic that encases it, but that wasn’t the main problem I had with them.

Nope, the real issue with the entertainment system is that at one point, after we tramped back in off the sand and engaged the car, the radio/Bluetooth/audio system didn’t make a peep. The graphics were engaged—the system showed that it was on; we tried Bluetooth, mute, un-mute, and so forth—but it had no sound. This happened once before in a Land Rover. (This is from Jaguar Land Rover Ltd., which hints at a broader problem.) Even though a full stop, turn-off, door open-and-close restarted the system with full sound, it was not a good thing to experience.

If you are concerned with space, though, the XE has plenty of it. The wheels are set wider across than in the 3-Series, for instance; the rear fold-through seat and trunk offer more than enough room to make this viable as a do-all, carry-all driver. The moonroof comes standard; the electric rear sun blind does not.

Does this sound like a negative review? Well ... I didn’t hate the car. The Jaguar XE is a solid premium sedan priced fairly for what it offers; if you buy one, you should feel very proud to drive it. But does this mean the XE is on par with Audi, BMW, and Mercedes? Definitely not.

That just leaves it plenty of room to grow.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:08 AM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

I prefer her honest review than sugar coating everything. I thought it was pretty good.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:27 PM
Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Is it really honest though? The strong suits of the Jag are it's steering ad handling. If the reporter was any kind of motoring journalist she would know this. Not only does she put the Jag behind all three German cars (which itselfs stretches the credibility of her review) , she describes the XE as being 'like a well-fed tomcat making neighborhood rounds'. Did she actually drive the car?

The following 2 users liked this post by stever_51:
mosesbotbol (03-15-2017), Wolfy (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't be concerned with the views of these 'reviewers'; they likely all have their bias. Better to just drive it and decide from the experience of driving in the real world. along with what ever car you like to look at.

I recall a review of the F type R that said it was uncontrollable etc. etc.. which is total nonsense.
Lawrence

Old 08-01-2016, 11:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

She drove the same version of the car that the folks at Jalopnik did not like either -- the 35t R-Sport AWD. It looks like the AWD version fails to wow even in the steering/suspension department.

http://jalopnik.com/the-2017-jaguar-...est-1782004733
"A rear-wheel drive supercharged V6 XE wasn’t available to test here (but is available to you, the buyer) and the AWD neutered the fun considerably."

With BMW, e.g., the standard/sport suspensions are super soft on xdrive cars. Is that the case with the XE AWD versions as well?

Jaguar should not send AWD versions for reviews.

Last edited by anoop; 08-01-2016 at 11:57 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't take her review of the XE seriously. It's pretty obvious she has a bias to the German brands which is alright. Everyone has the right to their own opinions, and in this case I wholeheartedly disagree with most of her assessment of the XE.

From my perspective, the Audi A4 has the worst exterior design of the bunch. It's really outdated, bland and boring. The Mercedes C-Class looks like it's made for the elderly. The BMW looks alright. I've test drove all four cars, each car has good handling but some were better than others, and some were definitely better than others. I would be lying if I didn't say the XE was definitely one of the latter. Audi A4 felt a little too stiff, especially cornering. The BMW and Mercedes were good although the latter felt a little better. But I have to give the XE the nod here. Exceptional handling and very fun to drive. But I have it admit, the XE's interior felt a little lacking especially compared to the competition. The "cheap" plastic was a bit of a let down as well. This is where the others shined well. But being as a XE owner myself, I'm proud to be behind the wheel of this car. I also enjoy the fact that my XE isn't so common in the wild

Being from LA, driving on the road you'll see a BMW every five minutes. Audis and Mercedes are pretty common as well. BMWs, Audis, and Mercedes are so common like the gazelles while the XE is the true predator it is, solitary yet deadly. Making it a rare treat to be spotted in the wild.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have an issue with the article even if it's a bit biased...typically you'll find the truth somewhere in the middle. I currently have a 2015 C class...IMO the interior is definitely superior to the XE...however as someone posted the C class is extremely common...there's nothing that makes it stand out from the crowd. I'm hoping that the XE provides that sense of exclusivity...but who knows...essentially the XE is Jaguars version of the C class which could mean eventually it too will be as common as a taxi cab...but for now it definitely sets itself apart.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:25 AM

I think you can tell where a reviewer values cars when you read a little into things. Her primary complaints fall on the interior and the amenities/technology. I'm not saying those aren't valid gripes, but if you're the kind of person that leans more on performance characteristics then those won't bother you as much. Still good to see things from many perspectives. This review doesn't pull me away from my XE R-Sport Dream.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Not a good review and the reviewer does not sound like someone who is passionate about cars. Drive an E or C class Mercedes and then directly drive the similar XE. Mercedes is as dull driving as can be. Interior materials are the downfall of the XE I would agree, but beyond that I think the XE is top of class for the money.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
XE is top of class for the money.
I really agree with this. While looking for a new car I looked at all the usual suspects, Benz, BMW, Audi, etc. For every other car I could only get the base model with the performance characteristics I want. With the XE, I could afford the performance, the rims I want, the paint I want, the accents I want, the interior I want, the extras I want, it would be my Jaguar XE while any other car would just be another carbon copy Audi, Benz, or BMW. XE is where it's at for me.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:38 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It's a sports sedan. Not a luxury sedan. It's obvious Jaguar was aiming it's sights more at BMW than MB or Audi. The people who buy Audi A3's and A4's and MB's C-Class are a bit of the older crowd, usually 35+. But the people that gravitate more towards the 328i and 340i are the younger generation. The ones who want the BMW badge without spending a whole ton of money. And that's who the XE is aimed at. I agree that the interior is lacking, but it accelerates and handles better than BMW and Audi and miles better than the C-Class. And that's what a mid-20s kid like me wants! I don't need wood-grain interior with all these flashy graphics. I WANT TO DRIVE THE DAMN THING LIKE I STOLE IT!

I think Jag have positioned themselves very well with their range of products.

XJ: the super luxurious and spacious saloon
XE: the "baby Jag"; more sporty and smaller but with loads of oomph
XF: the perfect balance between sport and luxury

Old 03-16-2017, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

I thought that where the Benz interior looks more premium is the curve from the centre console up to the screen cluster. But while the XE doesnt have that pizazz, it makes up for it in practicality because I think the gap there is designed for your phone.

I must be the target market for the XE because I actually dont have any complaints about the interior. I find the audi interiors to be overwrought and the smaller Benzes a bit confusing. The BMW is a little stuck in the 90's, I think. The XE is more like a volvo, which I like. My wife loves it to pieces, she isnt a big fan of wood (boom boom).

The high point of Jag interiors was the first XF, I think, which blended luxury and sport perfectly, but that was a much bigger car and you can get away with more with all of that space.