XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Eco On/Off and Secondary Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 11:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eco On/Off and Secondary Battery?

So, I have had my XE for about two months and love it. It really has exceeded my expectations hands down. One thing that I do not like at all, however, is not being able to permanently disable the ECO engine On/Off feature permanently.

I've read on some Land Rover forums and on some XF sites, that in those vehicles there is a secondary battery that is used when the engine cuts off to power the electrical stuff running in the cabin. Evidently if you disconnect it, those vehicles will simply not use the On/Off system.

Does anybody know if this is the same system used in the XE? If so, does anybody know where the secondary battery is located?

Thanks!

Old 08-24-2016, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Ninerdawg
So, I have had my XE for about two months and love it. It really has exceeded my expectations hands down. One thing that I do not like at all, however, is not being able to permanently disable the ECO engine On/Off feature permanently.

I've read on some Land Rover forums and on some XF sites, that in those vehicles there is a secondary battery that is used when the engine cuts off to power the electrical stuff running in the cabin. Evidently if you disconnect it, those vehicles will simply not use the On/Off system.

Does anybody know if this is the same system used in the XE? If so, does anybody know where the secondary battery is located?

Thanks!
My 2015 F type R has the 2nd battery and its easy to disconnect.. however I believe my XE Sport is only one battery, same as the Fpace..

Take a look at the Fpace threads and I believe you will see one on how to disconnect the eco crap ... I have not gotten around to it yet, but our XE's should be similar.
Lawrence.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mulmur:
BigCat09 (10-11-2016), Ninerdawg (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

If the XE is anything like what they did in the 2015 and on XJs they replaces the second battery with a capacitor next to the main battery.

The following users liked this post:
Ninerdawg (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 09:34 AM

Thanks - indeed, looks like there is a control box you can unplug one connector from in the F-Pace and it takes care of it. Probably similar in the XE, but I have no clue where that connector would be - probably in the back, but exactly where is hard to say. Hopefully somebody with me mechanical/tech skills than I will find it and post!

Old 08-29-2016, 01:08 AM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I would love to know how to disconnect the ECO on off feature

Old 09-01-2016, 08:48 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

OMG, Yes! I'd love to disable that "feature" which annoys me so much.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

couldn't we wire something up with a timed relay?

Like a "push" for 1 second after 10 seconds of car first being turned on?

We don't like this feature either...I always forget to disable it until the car shuts off at a stop sign lol

Old 10-11-2016, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

This will be the first mod I will dig into and report back when my XERS comes in this week.

I can't stand that ECO button.

Ninerdawg (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 10:38 AM

Were you able to find a way to turn it off?

Old 03-08-2017, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

I went with the VAP solution so I dint have to unplug anything. They just flash it it to turn it off and I must say this has been great!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by BigCat09:
C-Los (03-21-2017), Tuning@VelocityAP (03-22-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 07:47 PM
Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by BigCat09
I went with the VAP solution so I dint have to unplug anything. They just flash it it to turn it off and I must say this has been great!!!

+1 !!!

Old 03-09-2017, 04:03 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin7

+1 !!!
I found the location of the plug in the XE. Basically in same spot as F-PACE. you can see it without removing any carpeting in the trunk, through the fusebox area, but unplugging it would be another story... it's basically impossible to do at the angle of approach the fuse box gives you. I tried and failed haha.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:12 PM

What is the "VAP" solution? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

Velocity AP sells a handheld that tunes the car and also remove the Auto Start/Stop feature safely.

C-Los (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 01:55 PM

Velocity AP sells a handheld that tunes the car and also remove the Auto Start/Stop feature safely.
Awesome! Thanks! Looking into it now. I want!

Old 03-21-2017, 03:42 PM
Default VelocitAP tune Defeats Auto Stop and Sooooo much more!

Originally Posted by C-Los
Awesome! Thanks! Looking into it now. I want!
I saw BigCats results and also bought the VelocityAP tune. I too got outstanding results so far (seat of the pants review only so far) A few comments about the VelocityAP upgrade.

1) It removed the speed limiter.

2) It can disable Auto Start/Stop. They sent me two mod files...one with Auto Start Stop Enabled, and one disabled. So its your choice.

3) Instant and excellent power, exceeding the 400HP v6 (same engine) found in the $80K 2018 F Sport 400. around 420Hp is very realistic with no other modifications, just update the ECU with your included tuning module, and BAM.

4) Because you own the programming module and flash your car's ECU yourself, it is no problem for you to return the car to stock ECU settings before a dealer visit (and evidently you SHOULD flash back before any dealer visits. Takes 5 Min.)

5) if you're not hammering the accelerator all the time, the car STILL DRIVES GREAT at 1/4 throttle, which is reallly important to me as a daily driver. In other words if you feather the accelerator, you wont notice the tune. But go pass 50% throttle with the VelocityAP in sport mode and this car will really stand up and boogie.

6) If you ARE on the accelerator all the time after your tune, better start a savings account for new rear tires, as this baby has big power on demand.

IMHO this could be the best $1000.00 you have ever spent on upgrading your car, you get one Horsepower for every $12 you spend. And let Stuart at VelocityAP know you're a forum member here, he visits often and treats us well.
(No affiliation with Stuart and crew other than a recent and great VelocityAP customer experience here, FYI.)

The following 6 users liked this post by Austin7:
alphakinase (03-22-2017), Big Owl (03-22-2017), C-Los (03-21-2017), lifted.n.lowered (03-31-2021), Safari1 (03-26-2017), Tuning@VelocityAP (03-22-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-21-2017, 04:01 PM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I took an easy path (read:lazy path). I called to Jaguar care NA (1-800-452-4827 option 9) and left a suggestion that they either put a stop delay or (preferred) make possible that it remembers the last settings (i.e if it was off when I turn off the car it remains off when I start it) I figured if enough people complain they might actually think of implementing it. Slim chance, but a chance nevertheless... So people, start dialing!

lifted.n.lowered (03-31-2021)
Old 03-21-2017, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Austin7
I saw BigCats results and also bought the VelocityAP tune. I too got outstanding results so far (seat of the pants review only so far) A few comments about the VelocityAP upgrade.

1) It removed the speed limiter.

2) It can disable Auto Start/Stop. They sent me two mod files...one with Auto Start Stop Enabled, and one disabled. So its your choice.

3) Instant and excellent power, exceeding the 400HP v6 (same engine) found in the $80K 2018 F Sport 400. around 420Hp is very realistic with no other modifications, just update the ECU with your included tuning module, and BAM.

4) Because you own the programming module and flash your car's ECU yourself, it is no problem for you to return the car to stock ECU settings before a dealer visit (and evidently you SHOULD flash back before any dealer visits. Takes 5 Min.)

5) if you're not hammering the accelerator all the time, the car STILL DRIVES GREAT at 1/4 throttle, which is reallly important to me as a daily driver. In other words if you feather the accelerator, you wont notice the tune. But go pass 50% throttle with the VelocityAP in sport mode and this car will really stand up and boogie.

6) If you ARE on the accelerator all the time after your tune, better start a savings account for new rear tires, as this baby has big power on demand.

IMHO this could be the best $1000.00 you have ever spent on upgrading your car, you get one Horsepower for every $12 you spend. And let Stuart at VelocityAP know you're a forum member here, he visits often and treats us well.
(No affiliation with Stuart and crew other than a recent and great VelocityAP customer experience here, FYI.)
I'm getting that warm fuzzy feeling inside. The added performance AND the elimination of the auto stop/start feature is a great combo.

Questions:
Does the programming module allow you to save your current settings? If the dealer updates something, can you save that before flashing with the VAP settings? Just curious how the module actually works.

Thanks!

Old 03-21-2017, 10:13 PM

I simply made a copy of my map when the controller came in, its pretty easy and self explanatory. It does help to have a stylus to use the interface.

Using the handheld interface and included OBDII cable, I plugged into the obdII port copied my map. I then used the USB cable to download this map file to my pc, then I emailed my cars map to VelocityAP, and they made same day modifications to MY maps and sent them back to me.

I chose the file with "Economy Disabled" to defeat the auto on/off.

It is a must that you flash the tune back to your original file before taking it into the dealer. This is not to "hide" the tune (it wont) , but to reset the ecu to factory so if the dealer updates your ecu through a flash, it sees the original data in there to build on. Very important.

Last edited by Austin7; 03-21-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vap seems very promising indeed, with disabling an irritating feature + a remap.
I hope they can come up with something for the 25T soon.

Quick Reply: Eco On/Off and Secondary Battery?