XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Spirited driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 07:29 AM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Spirited driving

I noticed that if my car is in dynamic and sport mode and I drive it in a spirited fashion that there is an abundance of heat and a different odor coming from under the car. This is not driving crazy or on a track but pushing a bit in sport the rpm' stay up. Ore. Maybe the cats getting hot. Anyone else notice this same thing?

Old 03-29-2017, 08:30 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Joearch
I noticed that if my car is in dynamic and sport mode and I drive it in a spirited fashion that there is an abundance of heat and a different odor coming from under the car. This is not driving crazy or on a track but pushing a bit in sport the rpm' stay up. Ore. Maybe the cats getting hot. Anyone else notice this same thing?
yep, I noticed this exactly. I think it's normal, the cats are just getting hot as you say.

Old 04-02-2017, 01:44 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes I also can smell it in my garage when I park after work.

Old 04-02-2017, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

yep, that is how I get busted by my wife after driving enthusiastically

Old 04-06-2017, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

It's also coming from the brakes. Perfectly normal from a good spirited run!

Old 04-07-2017, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

I never smell a thing and I drive mine very spirited similar to those commercials lol.

Old 04-08-2017, 03:59 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

It all depends how and where you drive.

If you do repeated stops from high speed, you will definitely get the smell of rubber/brakes.

I did some very aggressive driving on Kancamagus Hwy in NH back in November and could smell my clutch/transmission oil. Things get hot and it is expected.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I had a loaner XE R-Sport and was curious to see what it could do. I was pleasantly surprised how lively it was for a sedan. However, with a cold day outside I didn't manage to get anywhere near overheating brakes or cats.

So how "spirited" were you driving exactly? If it isn't in reckless driving territory, you shouldn't smell brakes.

Either way, take your car to a track day. Chances are, there is a club in your area that runs event for novice drivers. People with less capable cars go there all the time, XE will be more than enough.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:17 PM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
I had a loaner XE R-Sport and was curious to see what it could do. I was pleasantly surprised how lively it was for a sedan. However, with a cold day outside I didn't manage to get anywhere near overheating brakes or cats.

So how "spirited" were you driving exactly? If it isn't in reckless driving territory, you shouldn't smell brakes.

Either way, take your car to a track day. Chances are, there is a club in your area that runs event for novice drivers. People with less capable cars go there all the time, XE will be more than enough.
The smell and heat I referred to is not from the brakes. In open traffic or on the freeway in dynamic and sport mode with RPM's being kept higher than normal there is an odor most likely from heat in fluids etc and maybe the cats. My car has the ECU tuned so it is naturally producing more heat from additional output. My driving on public roads would not come near the reckless category. Not sure what track day has to do with this discussion.