XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

stone rash

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 02:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stone rash

i have a jaguar xe and i have noticed a stone rash on the paintwork on the rear sills and in front of the rear wheels.jaguar are respraying the area. is ther some way of stopping this recuring

Old 07-12-2017, 03:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

clear wrap maybe? It hasnt happened to ours, though

The following users liked this post:
peter1 (07-13-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 07:45 AM
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

It’s an official annoyance that many owners have filed with Jaguar about the car. The paint Jaguar uses (maybe forced to use, by regulatory agencies today?) is VERY soft and easily pitted and chipped in small portions.

If you drive or live in areas with lovely rural roads (like the UK drivers, and many US suburban drive-throughs) the rocker panels (ESPECIALLY the back of the XE where it flares at the rear wheel), gets the rash.

Mine has minimal rash (I use the SatNav to avoid unpaved or construction roads as much as possible), but mine is subject to numerous tiny pits across the entire hood area.

Bruce is right, there is a “vinyl type” film that you can buy and lay along the leeboard.

I prefer to use Mother’s Plastic Polish, which is suitable for the car paint in that area, since that panel, like the front and rear bumpers, is actually a painted plastic mold. The Mother’s makes the surface super slick, cling-resistant, and will even rub out the tinier amounts of your rash.

The actual pits, will need the re-spray, OR, if you feel like a do-it-yourself owner, will need a couple of Jaguar’s paint pencils and some Polishing Compound (I strongly recommend Maguire’s Ultimate Compound, which is actually not a compound but an astonishing polish that grinds).

Incidentally, is Jaguar re-spraying your rash under a warranty? If not, how much is the charge for doing that?

peter1 (07-13-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 08:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by peter1
i have a jaguar xe and i have noticed a stone rash on the paintwork on the rear sills and in front of the rear wheels.jaguar are respraying the area. is ther some way of stopping this recuring
I thought I was the only one with this issue. I live in a rural area and from day one I've noticed that it was having issues in that area. Did jaguar cover it under warranty? Mine has about 3-4 white small chip spots on each side. right in front of the rear wheels where it flares out a little.

peter1 (07-13-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 12:26 PM

I HOPE it is covered under some warranty.... But so far, from the owners in the UK (their problem tends to be even worse than the US, since the UK countryside is famous for gravel and dirt roads), I have only read misery. I haven’t read anywhere that Jaguar is considering it a “detect” or fault of theirs.

That flared area under the car is beautiful, and I’m sure it’s aerodynamic and all that… but its position causes it to take a lot of road abuse. Some owners accept it as “character lines that a good car will gain over the years”.

If that’s the way some owners feel about it, when my rash gets really visible, I’m going to start to “de-character” my car.

peter1 (07-13-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Paint quality on the XE is not as nice as it was on my XK.

One would think they are all painted the same, but maybe not? Or maybe a decade later (owned an '07) they have changed paints or how they are applied?

peter1 (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 07:40 AM

I am very sure they have changed the way “paint” in general is composed and applied to surfaces. Not necessarily because the makers want it to change, but because regulations about “what” can be allowed in paint, and what chemical agents can be allowed to escape into the air during spraying of paints and curing of paints…. I know the changes are for the better healthwise—but without a doubt the “old” paint of 10 years or 15 years ago was far more rugged.

I haven't tried it yet, but maybe the softness of the new paint will make it easier for owners to touch up paint chips with smoother results. ...Maybe?

Softness aside, I’m okay with today’s paint appearance. I think past paints definitely used to SHINE up much better and STAY shiny. Today’s paint colors seem to “glow” and be “warmer”, no matter what color you’ve chosen.
So getting them to actually “shine” is really hard work for us do-it-yourself owners.

peter1 (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 08:31 AM

Not under guarantee, but after many calls to customer services,5 months later they agreed that the car was not upto Jaguar standards, but denied that this is a known problem. Thanks for advice, think i will try the film,but pencils are probably a good i dea for bonnet.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:38 AM

Hi no jaguar would not repair under guarantee, or as an act of goodwill,after 5 months arguing with them,and going as high as CEO,they have agreed to respray as they said the car was not to Jaguar standards.According to the salesman in the Dealership this is a very common complaint