XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Thoughts/Experiences blacking out chrome surrounding window trim

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 08:53 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Thoughts/Experiences blacking out chrome surrounding window trim

I'm considering taking my car to a tint/wrap shop to get it done in a high gloss black to match the paint.

I've seen it on XE-s and XE-Rs but never on the regular 35t.

If I decide to do it I'll post before and afters. First gotta get me some quotes

Old 08-30-2017, 10:35 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I just picked up my XE tonight and it doesn't have the black design back on it. It's getting pretty late in the year now to find one that had everything I wanted, so my concession was one that had everything except the black package. I have an appt on Tuesday to get the window trim and grill wrapped. (Tint on Saturday) FWIW, I had the same thing done on my Cadillac ATS and it looks like it came from the factory that way. $350 for the grill and window trim here. I don't know if the side vents can be properly wrapped due to the embossed lettering, but I scored a very inexpensive (comparatively) set of the black OEM vents that the dealer will install as a contingency of the purchase. They also painted the 5071 style rims black for me.

Last edited by carpenter75; 08-30-2017 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

We have the R Sport, I wrapped the skirts in it and it looks nice. I also wrapped the centre of the front spoiler foir a bit of fun. My wife caught me trying to wrap the silver blades and I have been banned from doing anything else. I think that is mightily unfair, even though it is her car.

Attached Thumbnails Thoughts/Experiences blacking out chrome surrounding window trim-screenshot_2016-01-08-17-11-43.jpg  

Last edited by BruceTheQuail; 08-30-2017 at 10:50 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by carpenter75
I just picked up my XE tonight and it doesn't have the black design back on it. It's getting pretty late in the year now to find one that had everything I wanted, so my concession was one that had everything except the black package. I have an appt on Tuesday to get the window trim and grill wrapped. (Tint on Saturday) FWIW, I had the same thing done on my Cadillac ATS and it looks like it came from the factory that way. $350 for the grill and window trim here. I don't know if the side vents can be properly wrapped due to the embossed lettering, but I scored a very inexpensive (comparatively) set of the black OEM vents that the dealer will install as a contingency of the purchase. They also painted the 5071 style rims black for me.
Before and after pics of the wraps please!

Old 09-02-2017, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by steel12
Before and after pics of the wraps please!

Will do.. I will say the chrome looks a little worse now after tint today. Just sticks out even more on a black car.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:25 AM
Old 09-05-2017, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by carpenter75

Wow looks excellent.

Thanks for the pics and congratulations

Old 09-05-2017, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by steel12
Wow looks excellent.

Thanks for the pics and congratulations
Thanks, one thing to keep in mind if you are looking for a wrap is that you definitely want to take it to someone that has patience and has done a lot of cars. The wrap isn't as easy on these cars as others since there is a rubber seal that overlays the window trim and the vinyl should be carefully cut and tucked under that rubber trim. That takes a lot of time and patience.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:59 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, that's a lot of black I have to say that black is my all time favorite color for cars, had previously owned black truck, car and motorcycle Even though white was not my top pic for the Jag I have to say XE is maybe the first car I do not like in black at all. I feel like it hides all Jaguar features that make it stand out.

Old 09-10-2017, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by RaffiNJ
Wow, that's a lot of black I have to say that black is my all time favorite color for cars, had previously owned black truck, car and motorcycle Even though white was not my top pic for the Jag I have to say XE is maybe the first car I do not like in black at all. I feel like it hides all Jaguar features that make it stand out.

Black definitely takes away some of the lines on a car. A cellphone pic like I posted exacerbates that even further. In person, as with any car really, it certainly looks better. Black was not my first color either. I wanted Caesium Blue, but this late in the year I couldn't find one that had everything I wanted on it. I would still have wrapped it as I don't like chrome at all especially on window trim on a black car. I don't mind hiding stuff that makes it stand out. I don't care about standing out. Not really flashy and would not have minded if this car was a Chevy or Ford or whatever as I am not a typical Jaguar driver (redneck from the sticks of Wisconsin ) but Jaguar did a fantastic job on this car and certainly cannot be overlooked for anyone looking for a great looking quick car with AWD (a must for me)

Old 09-10-2017, 02:25 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am not a typical Jag driver either came from an Elantra. The main reason I Was getting a Jag is because I loved the design, I feel with black all that is lost. I did see black Jags on the lot and on the road as black is usually the first color I go for and did not like them at all. But hey that's why they make all colors, everyone likes different things. My first choice would be Storm Gray, by miles best of all choices......

Old 09-14-2017, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks amazing!

I definitely would like to wrap the chrome trim... it just looks so much cooler!