XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

VelocityAP Jaguar XE Exhaust System Development

Old 09-29-2017, 01:20 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
Here is the video of the resonator delete on my RR Sport V6. I kept the center muffler before the resonator and rear mufflers.

https://youtu.be/clW5mNZBCsc
Sounds great, very close to the F-type tonally. Definitely leaning towards doing this. Does it crackle and pop like the F-type more now?

Old 09-29-2017, 01:29 PM

I've noticed that without fail, I can make the XE crackle A LOT and very loudly on deceleration when the engine is cold. Turn the car on (cold start), put it in S mode, drive 1st gear up to about 4-5k rpm and let off the throttle... it'll crackle just like an F-type for a solid 2 seconds or so.

After about 10 minutes of driving, things warm up and it won't do this at all anymore. So what's going on? Either the cats are heating up and muffling the sound or the ECU is changing the fuel tables after the car is warm.

Thought the VAP folks might find this interesting since it could provide a way to make the XE crackle like the F-type...I know it's capable!

Old 09-29-2017, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Whomever comes with something to transform the non-FType cars to sound like an FType will have many orders in their inbox.

It's not just the XE owners who may want such a mod.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Whomever comes with something to transform the non-FType cars to sound like an FType will have many orders in their inbox.

It's not just the XE owners who may want such a mod.
it can be done:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-penny-194080/

Old 12-24-2017, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

That does not sound like an F-Type at all to me.

Old 12-24-2017, 11:09 PM

Hard to tell on camera. To me they sound very similar. Also in my video I wasn’t holding the throttle down at the rev limiter to get that sound. One of the largest improvements from the resonator delete is the big increase in crackles and pops you get. It’s substantial, and a big part of what makes the FType’s unique sound.

Old 12-25-2017, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by alphakinase
Hard to tell on camera. To me they sound very similar. Also in my video I wasn’t holding the throttle down at the rev limiter to get that sound. One of the largest improvements from the resonator delete is the big increase in crackles and pops you get. It’s substantial, and a big part of what makes the FType’s unique sound.
The cracks and pops the F Type has in purpose due to adding extra fuel that get burnt in the exhaust. The computer does something different on the F Types similarly what Porsche does to give that sounds; unspent fuel being ignited in the exhaust.

Old 12-25-2017, 03:02 PM

Oh, I’m aware.

The XE does it too, I suspect in the same way. With the stock exhaust, the crackles are muffled to the point where you can’t tell they exist. With the resonators removed, the crackles are very apparent. I’ll have to record another video to prove it I suppose.

One thing to note, is that the crackles and pops on the XE will subside if you hoon the engine too much and it heats up. Interestingly, there’s a post in the FType forum about this same thing. Apparently it has to do with maintaining emissions compliance.

So while the XE clearly has the code built in to generate crackles, it seems to be quite sensitive to manifold/catalyst temperature. And with the stock exhaust, you’d have to be paying attention to even notice the crackles because it’s muffled so effectively.

I’ll try to make another video when I get time. Happy holidays.

Old 12-25-2017, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

The first video with the drive byes sounded pretty close to the f type to me, maybe without the active exhaust engaged (which after a year and a half of driving I'm now preferring to it with the active exhaust on).

The second where the car is stationary didnt sound much like the f type stationary. That is probably because the f type (S, at least) has a real bellow when it starts up, I think the exhaust baffles are open then they shut after 10 seconds or so.

Sounds pretty good to me.

Old 12-25-2017, 04:38 PM

Thanks Bruce. From what I can tell from watching FType videos, the FType has a bit more low end rumble than my setup, but otherwise it’s pretty close. This is in line with your comments Bruce.

Old 12-25-2017, 07:54 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The pattern seems very similar in those two cars but the sound is quite a bit different. The F-Type has much deeper tone while the XE sounds like you cut out the resonators ...... not the same nice deep sound at all. Best comparison would be if they were standing next to each other with the same camera.

Old 12-25-2017, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member

I talked to a British exhaust manufacturer (will leave their name out for now) that specializes in Jaguar and they said they could not make the XE sound like the F Type with an exhaust or tune. They said there was more to it than either piece. Could there be additional different hardware between the two engines?

Old 12-25-2017, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

I think the f type has a X pipe as well.

I did the resonator delete + x pipe in my XKR and it totally changed the sound of the exhaust as well as giving some pops and crackles, especially grumbling away during the engine braking. But it made the engine sound more howly than growly which wasnt really what I was after.

Old 12-25-2017, 10:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I think the f type has a X pipe as well.

I did the resonator delete + x pipe in my XKR and it totally changed the sound of the exhaust as well as giving some pops and crackles, especially grumbling away during the engine braking. But it made the engine sound more howly than growly which wasnt really what I was after.
I think that's exactly what I was talking about, not that special growl most of us would be after.

Old 12-25-2017, 11:49 PM

There is no X pipe on the factory F type exhaust. There’s pictures of both the XE and FType exhaust towards the beginning of this forum thread that I posted. the entire exhaust from the manifolds to the middle section is identical in the XE and F type, except the F type doesn’t have the resonators. That’s why I removed them.

The following 2 users liked this post by alphakinase:
BruceTheQuail (12-26-2017), mosesbotbol (12-26-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 04:14 PM
Sponsor
Received 821 Likes on 467 Posts

I talked to a British exhaust manufacturer (will leave their name out for now) that specializes in Jaguar and they said they could not make the XE sound like the F Type with an exhaust or tune. They said there was more to it than either piece. Could there be additional different hardware between the two engines?
Well, the cats in the downpipes are the same diameter, and are in fact virtually identical to the AWD FTypes. Your main differences are A. Resonators, B. does the XE have a center 2x2 muffler like the V6 FType? C. Twin rear mufflers versus a single transverse muffler.

Acoustically it must be possible to get it pretty close.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 12-27-2017, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP

Acoustically it must be possible to get it pretty close.
How about the fuel injection into the exhaust to give it that unique pop? Can that be mimicked in a tune?

Old 12-27-2017, 02:02 PM

How about the fuel injection into the exhaust to give it that unique pop? Can that be mimicked in a tune?
I believe the XE is already employing the extra fuel injection to make exhaust crackle/pop. Still it’s programmed to occur to a lesser extent than the F Type. Correct me if I’m wrong Stuart. With the resonators removed, it’s more apparent.

Old 12-27-2017, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
B. does the XE have a center 2x2 muffler like the V6 FType?
Yes, the XE has a 2x2 center muffler. In fact removing the resonators makes the XE and FType essentially identical, with the only difference being overall length and the rear boxes.

Last edited by alphakinase; 12-27-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:16 AM
Received 148 Likes on 80 Posts

That’s not exactly how JLR does it, even in the stock file that would send the fuel trims incredible rich and flag faults. I know because I’ve tested it with a few forum volunteers. The XE file is almost a mirror image to the F-Pace and also a mirror very similar to the F-Type 340ps version with AWD. Only real difference between F-Pace, F-Type and XE is the radiator/engine cooling maps and stuff related to coefficient drag, final drive..etc. But all AFR, the timing, Torque..all the same BUT..if you want..I can do something similar, to increase the pops/crackles noise. If you already have a tune with us, just send me a msg and I’ll send you an edit back. Be advised with the holidays, I’m kind of delayed/slowed, not due to tune overloads(although it’s starting to become that) but more of a family holiday vacationing period while my kids of off from school for Xmas. Once the holidays are up, I’ll be back on track returning files in around 24hrs

The following 2 users liked this post by Tuning@VelocityAP:
alphakinase (12-28-2017), mosesbotbol (12-28-2017)

Search this Thread