XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Wiper scratching the hood

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 03:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wiper scratching the hood

I bought my 2017 Jaguar XE in Nov 2016 and since then i had lot of issues from Audio System to Side Mirror. But the wiper scratching the inside of the hood pissed me off to the core which has left a big gash on both the wiper and inside of the hood.

Anyone has the same issue? is it a one off situation?

Regards

Old 04-16-2017, 04:04 PM
Default Continue

Second part

Old 04-16-2017, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Is it scrapping with hood open or closed while the wiper is going?

Old 04-16-2017, 04:42 PM

Closed. Looking at the gash I think it's happening from a long time, I just noticed today.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:19 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Your hood seems perfectly aligned with the rest of the body panels so the issue has to be with the wipers.

They are probably not extended all the way (there is a pivot where they bend) or they are improperly installed.

Have you contacted the dealership about it?
On my car wipers have plenty of space to move around

Old 04-16-2017, 06:55 PM

I will contact them tomorrow. Let's see what they have to say.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:26 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

They should exchange the wipers and your hood free of charge. It definitely looks like a manufacturing defect that needs to be covered under the warranty.

Good luck

Old 04-17-2017, 02:44 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

First I've heard of this issue. Definitely a defect somewhere. I strongly suspect the dealer will cover this without issue.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:44 PM

I have an appointment next Tuesday, let's see what they have to say.

Some other issues with the car

1. Left speaker on the driver side makes crackling noise
2. Center console hangs and reboot sometimes when i start the car
3. Sunroof shade doesn't work sometimes
4. Right side window after few days doesn't comes back to the original position.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:06 PM

One interesting thing that i noticed on the jaguar assistance app, the car was repaired in Sept 2016 by the dealer, two months before i bought the car.

Now i'm really skeptical about my car.

Last edited by CeaseArdor; 04-17-2017 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:03 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CeaseArdor
One interesting thing that i noticed on the jaguar assistance app, the car was repaired in Sept 2016 by the dealer, two months before i bought the car.

Now i'm really skeptical about my car.

Definitely bring that with you and ask if they have a record of what service was performed.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

Where do you see this info at?

Old 04-18-2017, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by BigCat09
Where do you see this info at?
Jaguar Engage app, i think at the moment it is only available in the US and South Africa.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member

Great App, just looked mine up and it shows that my car had " Repairs" done 1 day before I walked in and bought it. Does this seem normal or was this new car prep etc done or is it something fishy? I can't get a pic to attach so what service do you all use to post pics here?

Old 04-18-2017, 08:19 PM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Probably just the PDI, taking the vehicle out of transport mode, diagnostic check, etc.

I use TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting for picture uploads/hosting.

It's okay, if you can stand all the advertising and dumb pop ups.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:38 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

In both cases I'd be willing to bet that the "repairs" done were just the recalls and software updates all of us have had done. Better the dealer do it while they have the car, rather than waiting until the customer has it since they'd have to provide you with a loaner. In fact I don't think they are allowed to sell you the car unless the known issues/recalls on Topix have been addressed and fixed.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:06 PM
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Hate to bring it up, but I am seeing it happen a bit too often. It’s the possibility (good possibility) that your dealer damaged the vehicle en route or in-care before you received it.

In the US, we have this thing called “Dealer Prep Fee” in the price of the car. We all pay it, and often presume it’s the fee for cleaning and spiffing up the car after its dusty and labor-intensive transport to your pick-up location.
But, it actually is used to offset ANY thing that nicks, cracks, or “OH, ___!”s your car while in the dealer’s care.
I was one of the loopy-owners who wanted to track my car’s trip from the plant in Solihull all the way to the port, gps across the ocean, etc. The transport vessel that took it across was spanking new to the fleet, the ports looked cool,… but can you imagine how many opportunities for damage are all along the route, especially a car that takes 6 weeks of shipping and customs to reach you. Let’s face it… in the process of putting on your plates, or driving your car off a ramp or through a handwash, something falls out a man’s hand and, CRACK!

When it happens, the dealer is responsible for making that car look like it never happened. He will not tell you, “we bumped the windshield, and ground the glass down to erase a 4 inch scratch in the surface---it’s now only 2 inches long, but we’re sure you won’t notice it when you pick the car up. (if you do spot it, then the dealer is responsible for what----for getting you a whole new Jaguar/Pilkingtion attenuated windscreen?)

IF while in their possession, a mechanic “bent” a wiper arm while prepping the car for your pick up… I'm sure they have the burden to "restore it to new". I'm just not sure if they will swap out a brand new replacement... or do an expert straighten-n-spitshine job on it. And I’m just not certain they will admit it. But I tend to believe MOST of the moving part problems or body panel problems we discover 3 weeks after driving the car,… were the result of the dealer not successfully repairing something that secretly happened on route to delivering your car. NOT a defect or poor assembly that was missed at the Jaguar factory.

Will a dealership ever admit that to us? I guess they’re not legally required to.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member

I am told they don't have to disclose it if it is under X amount of dollars. I bought a new 2010 Maxima here in NJ once and the dealer rear ended someone in traffic before I took delivery. I caught wind of this and a friend sent me pics of the car crashed with VIN and when I went to take delivery they denied it and then tried to force the car on me and then fessed up and said we didn't have to tell you since it was under X amount of damage. Thats when I walked out on them and never returned.

I even think my XE has some minor damage they cleaned up well but I didn't feel like going threw the whole process and only a trained eye can tell so I have to settle for it now its been many months since I have it.

Old 05-12-2017, 04:07 PM

Thanks everyone for your valuable input. I got back my car today and what i found out about the wiper just blew my mind.

The left wiper of my car was from Jaguar F-Pace. I still can't believe how the car made it to the market with a wiper from a different car. This is seriously beyond pathetic.

Below is a pic from the service record. What should I do now? How do i escalate it further?

Wiper scratching the hood-jw4la9v.jpg

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (05-15-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Was there a big premier league game the night before your car was made? I thought s*** like that only happened on Italian car lines....