XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

XE Jaguar broken wheel stud - RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 10:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down XE Jaguar broken wheel stud - RESOLVED

Hi

I have a question for XE Jaguar drivers. While removing the wheel nuts from a rear wheel last weekend, using the tool provided with the vehicle, one of the studs sheered off. They were tight but not overly tight such that I had to use excessive force. I have removed and replaced wheels on many vehicles in the past and have never had this happen. The vehicle is not 6 months old so was somewhat surprised. However, not as surprised when told how much it will cost to replace it. It's a big job requiring the rear hub to be disassembled.
Is this a known problem with XE Jaguars? Should it be a warranty issue?

Last edited by GGG; 05-31-2018 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Add 'RESOLVED' to thread title
Old 05-29-2018, 02:12 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Welcome to the forum mferguson,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X760 forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Graham

Old 05-29-2018, 09:58 AM
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought out another person's lease on a 2017 XE and had the exact same problem! While inspecting the car I noticed some damage to a wheel and requested that the previous owner (who had the lease) fix it. He pulled the wheel with a regular lug wrench (not a torque wrench), put in the spare and sent the stock wheel out to be fixed. Then he took it to the dealership for the first service (also requested that before I take the car) and the dealership said the wheel lug was broken, it wouldn't be covered under warranty, and the whole hub needed to be replaced because you can't just replace the lug on these cars.

I thought it was either a bad lug or a bad dealership who wouldn't go to bat on the warranty, but seems it could be a much bigger problem. The dealership told the previous owner he should have used roadside assistance to replace the wheel instead of doing it himself.

The following users liked this post:
GGG (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 10:38 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by Fretwire
I bought out another person's lease on a 2017 XE and had the exact same problem! .....
Useful to know this isn't an isolated incident. The diagram from the Parts Catalogue shows why this is an expensive repair.

The studs are likely to be the standard splined pattern which are pressed or driven in from the rear.

There clearly isn't sufficient space between the back of the hub and the hub carrier to drive out a broken stud and fit a replacement so the hub must first be removed from the carrier.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails XE Jaguar broken wheel stud - RESOLVED-xe-rear-hub.jpg  
SinF (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 02:44 PM

Given that, wouldn't it follow that they would make the studs slightly more robust? I've changed boatloads of wheels over the years and I've been pretty rough with lug wrenches more than once without ever breaking a stud. Sure, you should always use a torque wrench when tightening lug nuts but that isn't always an option in the field.

I didn't take up any battles because it wasn't my car at the time, but if that had happened with my car and the manufacturer refused to make reparations the car would be gone right after the repair was done and my relationship with Jaguar would be at an end.

I don't like to sound negative but we should hold manufacturers to higher standards.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mferguson
Hi

I have a question for XE Jaguar drivers. While removing the wheel nuts from a rear wheel last weekend, using the tool provided with the vehicle, one of the studs sheered off. They were tight but not overly tight such that I had to use excessive force. I have removed and replaced wheels on many vehicles in the past and have never had this happen. The vehicle is not 6 months old so was somewhat surprised. However, not as surprised when told how much it will cost to replace it. It's a big job requiring the rear hub to be disassembled.
Hi

I can't see why it wouldn't be a warranty issue. In fact, JLR should be a bit concerned that it's wheel bolts can snap so easily. Hate to think my car could have the bad luck to have two defective bolts on the same wheel.
One hard corner and you own a three-wheeler!!

Good luck

Old 05-30-2018, 07:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi

I am pleased to say that Jaguar Australia repaired to broken stud under warranty. The service received from my local dealership (Berwick Jaguar) was exceptional. Definitely no complaints with the outcome.

GGG (05-31-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I am pleased to say that Jaguar Australia repaired to broken stud under warranty. The service received from my local dealership (Berwick Jaguar) was exceptional. Definitely no complaints with the outcome.
Excellent

Old 05-31-2018, 04:22 AM
GGG

Good to hear it. I've added 'RESOLVED' to your thread title.

Members are often quick to criticise Jaguar Dealers when something goes wrong but few take the time to post when the service has been good.

Graham

Old 05-31-2018, 07:36 AM

That's great news!! Gotta admit I still get a little steamed when I think how Jaguar Canada abandoned the previous owner of my car when he had the same problem but not knowing the whole story I decided to go ahead with the purchase anyways.

Nice to hear this one worked out to your satisfaction.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds as if there is an issue with the wheels being over torqued.. Maybe the factory has a robot or two that are over zealous?? If one is concerned they could take their car into the dealer and ask that all wheel nuts be loosed and re-torqued by hand using a Torque Wrench.. Air Guns are never good on parts that have specific torque values. Even if not covered under warranty it won't be more than 30 minutes labor..

From the owners manual:
  1. Tighten the nuts, in the sequence shown in the illustration, to the correct torque of 92 lb.ft (125 Nm).

Last edited by ErikM; 06-27-2018 at 01:06 PM. Reason: more info