XF (X260) 2015 onwards

2017 XF Potential Buyer

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 XF Potential Buyer

I am contemplating a 17 XF Premium.

What should I consider?

My limited research shows a tune and a pulley can add a little zip, thoughts?

Thanks for any input,
bob

Old 10-26-2018, 06:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've had my 3.0 V6 Supercharged for about three weeks now. To be honest the "zip" is pretty good as is with that engine. I was very impressed the first time I floored it and "took off". I'd be wary of a tune or pulley change due to the warranty issues if something goes wrong.

EKinSC

Old 10-26-2018, 08:36 PM

Dealer wont get any service from me unless its warranty work. ECU can be reflashed and original pulley easily installed. But since dealerships are paid by manufacturers to fix issues it has to be pretty significant to motivate them to "void" that portion of the warranty, even if they bothered to look and knew how to find out...so that wont really sway me.

Glad to hear it has some pep to it but I'm moving out of a well-tuned vehicle so it will be a tough step down, power wise. But I bet the Jag will be ten times nicer!!

Old 10-27-2018, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by floridabob
Dealer wont get any service from me unless its warranty work. ECU can be reflashed and original pulley easily installed. But since dealerships are paid by manufacturers to fix issues it has to be pretty significant to motivate them to "void" that portion of the warranty, even if they bothered to look and knew how to find out...so that wont really sway me.

Glad to hear it has some pep to it but I'm moving out of a well-tuned vehicle so it will be a tough step down, power wise. But I bet the Jag will be ten times nicer!!
Just as a warning / there is a flag that is triggered in the ecu computer system if you flash it with a non Jag tune. You cannot undo the flag even if you flash back to stock. So every time the dealer plugs it into their diagnostics it will tell them you had a tune in it. They can only not cover warranty work where the tune could have caused it - but for any major engine work that could be the case. So do so at your risk. Many people on the forum here have used reputable tunes without issues but worth at least being aware of the risks

Old 10-27-2018, 08:06 PM

I bought a 2016 R-Sport about 10 months ago and love most things about it.

My personal pros:
-Car looks fantastic. Personally, I exclusively looked for an R-Sport or S because I don't care for the stock front spolier.
-I also specifically bought a car that came with the optioned 20" wheels. They look stellar
-I painted the brake calipers yellow (black car) with the G2 caliper kit and added a "jaguar" name to them. Took twice as long as I thought but I've gotten a ton of compliments on the car since the work was done
-I purchased the VelocityAP tune and love it. (IMO) There is a flat power band around 2k - 3k RPMs and the VAP tune completely fixes it. I took the car in for the 2 year warranty work after flashing the stock tune back and it annoyed me while I drove to the dealer. The dealer didn't say anything about the tune YMMV
-Car drives great. I previously had an Infiniti M45 (v8) and I can't believe how light the XF feels in comparison. Almost floats around our pot-hole roads here

Cons:
-This is the most common complaint I've seen about the car- the interior. It just feels....flat. The piano black trim is nice but the silver dash is just boring.
-Try very hard to get the upgraded (20-way?) seats. I don't have them and wish I did. The seats aren't uncomfortable per se but they're a lot of less comfortable than my M45 seats on along drives
-Front-corner view angles. This is more of a personal gripe as I live in a city, it can be tricky to get a feel for exactly where the front corners are. There is a bit of an odd slope to it so sometimes when you think you can fit, you can't. The parking sensors are about 1-2 seconds behind reality (including the backup camera!) so you need to take it slow.
-Back seat legroom. I'm 6' 3" so when I have a comfortable driving position, there is essentially zero room behind my seat. The car is actually ~3" longer than my old M but somehow feels more cramped in the cabin. Go figure.

My word of advice is to drive a handful of XFs with the varying options to understand which you like, which you don't, and which you couldn't care less about. Once you have that list- search nation-wide for a car. You'll find the best deals, there are online services that will do a full test-drive and inspection for <$100 and shipping cross-country is generally less than $1k (open carrier). You'll be shocked at some of the deals out there as long as you're willing to buy the car "unseen" and wait 1-2 weeks for shipping. I purchased my XF that way and can't imagine purchasing a car any way else. I saved ~$4k off an almost identical car that was located at a local dealer.

Good luck!

Last edited by thomsonac; 10-27-2018 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by floridabob
I am contemplating a 17 XF Premium.

What should I consider?

My limited research shows a tune and a pulley can add a little zip, thoughts?

Thanks for any input,
bob
You get 40 more hp in the S and there's no pulley difference from the Premium so a simple tune should give you the extra. How much is enough ?