XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Potential XJ buyer.. questions

Old 11-23-2011, 03:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Potential XJ buyer.. questions

Hello all,
Im looking at getting the new XJ S/C or the Audi A8. I have some questions about the XJ. Coming from Lexus, I have really enjoyed their customer service and vehicles. I am new to the Jag line but negative media and some consumer reports have steered me away.. but I LOVE the new XJ. Anywho, I do have some questions for those lucky members who know a lot about the XJ.

1. Does the XJ have front fog lights? If not, it seems like all of the Jags models dont have them.
2. On the supersport models or ones equipped w/ the RES, what is the black box located on the roof in between the two vanity mirrors?
3. Which models have semi-aniline leather? and is it a better hide/more durable than the soft grain leather
4. Do the puddle lights under the outside rearview mirrors light up when approach the car with the Smart Key? I know Lexus does and its a nice feature!
5. Did they change anything for 2012 or are they waiting for the 2013 model year?

Old 11-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Good questions, I am in the same boat. Been lurking here for a year now but didn't pull the trigger yet due to the same horror stories posted here - they gave me pause. I drive a LS-460 that I bought brand new in 2007 and it is still flawless but I'm ready for a change, and I like the new Jag style. Hopefully some owners here can answer your questions.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:43 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JAGGER11
Hello all,
Im looking at getting the new XJ S/C or the Audi A8. I have some questions about the XJ. Coming from Lexus, I have really enjoyed their customer service and vehicles. I am new to the Jag line but negative media and some consumer reports have steered me away.. but I LOVE the new XJ. Anywho, I do have some questions for those lucky members who know a lot about the XJ.

1. Does the XJ have front fog lights? If not, it seems like all of the Jags models dont have them.
2. On the supersport models or ones equipped w/ the RES, what is the black box located on the roof in between the two vanity mirrors?
3. Which models have semi-aniline leather? and is it a better hide/more durable than the soft grain leather
4. Do the puddle lights under the outside rearview mirrors light up when approach the car with the Smart Key? I know Lexus does and its a nice feature!
5. Did they change anything for 2012 or are they waiting for the 2013 model year?

1: The XJ does not have fog lights, however it does have side lights that turn on when you make a turn lighting up the road to the right or left of you, very helpfull IMO. they are hidden in the main light cluster.

2: I own the supercharged and not a supersport so I have no idea what that black box is, sorry

3: semi aniline leather is supposed to be of better quality. But the standard leather is very good quality as well.

4 : The puddle lights do not turn on automatically on approach, you would have to unlock the car with the key fob to do so.

5: No major changes for 2012 some color changes and the rear seat massage option are a few.

The A8 is a nice car but the looks and performance of the jag are superior IMO.
as far as reliability I don't think the Audi will be any better, most of the issues so far on the XJ revolve around some pops in the roof (which looks to be corrected now).

Hopefully someone with a supersport can answer the black box question cause now I'm curious.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Some more of the other guys would have to answer your questions and even though this is the Jaguar forum, if you come down to really want the Audi, Id go for it. It would be my choice.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:48 AM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

There was an article in the November 14th issue of Autoweek on the Audi S8--this is the model that would have to be compared to the XJ SC for performance, although considerably more expensive. They summed it up by saying "the S8 fails to connect with the driver in the way a dedicated luxury sports sedan should. You marvel at what it can do, but it doesn't leave you breathless". IMHO the XJ does a very good job at this and looks way better. Although a very capable car, the Audi's style is nothing special. The XJ is a real looker.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:43 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
There was an article in the November 14th issue of Autoweek on the Audi S8--this is the model that would have to be compared to the XJ SC for performance, although considerably more expensive. They summed it up by saying "the S8 fails to connect with the driver in the way a dedicated luxury sports sedan should. You marvel at what it can do, but it doesn't leave you breathless". IMHO the XJ does a very good job at this and looks way better. Although a very capable car, the Audi's style is nothing special. The XJ is a real looker.
I agree 100%. I had the last generation S8. I was very happy with the car, but I never connected to that car the way I have with the Jaguar. I thought about waiting for the new S8, knowing that it would be even more powerful and have all of the updated electronics. It would also have a much higher price. However, as soon as I drove the XJL SC, the decision was easy.

Old 11-24-2011, 03:18 PM
Received 170 Likes on 140 Posts

I believe the black box you refer to is to do with the connectivity of the wireless headphones to do with the entertainment package, unless anyone else knows different.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagger11
Hello all,

1. No, But it has rear fog lights. Figure that one out.
2. I have the RES and the black box is for the whitefire headsets. There is also a receiver in the front as the car was originally designed to have a dualview screen in the front.
3. The supersport is the only model that comes with a semi-aniline leather headliner. The rest come with a suede-like material which is still pretty nice. The rest of the leather is the same quality regardless of model.
4. No. But you would think this is something that can be fixed with a software update.
5.Well some things that were standard are now optional on the 2012. And the 2011 model comes with a better warranty.

Now with that all said its what is important to you. If tech is your thing go with the Audi because honestly the Jaguar can't match it right now. The MMI Plus and B&O system is the class leader. And it has all the driver aids you can think about and even the interior lighting has three color choices. And lets not forget those Audi daytime running lamps. You know an Audi by those before it can even get close enough for you to recognize the car. Jaguar skimped on ours. Now with that comes a cost because the audio system alone is an additional 6 grand. VW, BMW, and Mercedes have cash for days. Jaguar is a smaller company with lower volumes. If handling and driving experience is your thing the Jaguar is the way to go. They are both aluminum cars but the Jag just preforms better as a sports car. It's like you are getting two cars for the price of one. Now one thing that the Jag has in spades over BMW, Mercedes, and Audi is a soul. I know it sounds stupid because we are talking about a car, but the car just feels special. You feel a sense of something. Maybe its because its not that many on the road compared to the rest who knows. I think its that whole British thing. The car just has style and class. When you get in the car and see all the leather on the dash and the stitching it just feels bespoke like it was made especially for you. You just get the sense of history. Of heritage. Also at that class its the closest thing you are going to get to a sports car without actually buying a sports car. You would have to jump to Maserati to get close to the same thing or maybe a Panamera.

Lets be honest, the 750, A/S8, S500/600, Lexus 450 are not meant to be drivers car. They don't look like drivers car and are not really built to be drivers car. They are akin to the Cadillacs and Buick our parents drove when they had reach a certain level in life. They are seen as old peoples car because frankly most people have to be a certain age before they can afford to buy one. It is kind of the way the old generation Jaguars were. I have an advantage that most people on this forum don't have and its the fact that I am an American living in Germany. I get to push my car to the limit on a daily basis. I have made a M3 driver look stupid. I have crapped on Porsches. I do a 100 mph just on my daily commute to and from work. I was driving to the Frankfurt airport last night to pick up some Hooter wings and it start raining(they have micro climates) and I remarked to myself here I am doing 130 mph in the rain with no concerns. Only in a Jaguar can you feel you are in a flagship sedan and a sports car at the same time. And you get all of this at a reduced cost. Massage driver AND passenger fronts seats are standard!

Bottom line:If you want a car with every bell and whistle you can think of and pay over 100g to get it and take your wife to the opera and feel good about handing the valet your key go with the Audi. But if you are willing to sacrifice some of that unnecessary drivers aid crap(lane departure warning Really?) and take your wife to the opera and really not want to give your key to valet and then after you are done drop the wife off at home and go for a spirited drive then you only have one choice. The Jag!

Last edited by ExpatJag; 11-28-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:50 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Well said expatjag!!!!

Old 11-28-2011, 10:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree 100% with expatjag. Prior to my XJ SC, I had a 2008 Merc S550. It had a luxurious ride and a pleasant interior, but I NEVER felt connected to it. It was almost too big. In fact, I sort of felt like my father driving it (he has always driven Cadillacs). The XJ is current, cool, and a thrill to drive.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:12 AM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

Here is a comparo by C&D from a couple of months ago. To me the choice is obvious, but... happy hunting!

2011 Audi A8L vs. 2011 BMW 750Li, 2011 Jaguar XJL Supercharged - Comparison Tests

Old 11-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Bingo. You guys hit it on the head what it is. Its the feeling connected thing. It doesn't exist in any Lexus. I don't feel it in the Audi A8. I get only some of that in my CLS63 mostly due to the sporty ride, but the spare interior isn't making you feel so connected.

I can't pinpoint it and there is no scientific way to put this. But the XJ is the car I feel more "connected" than in any car I ever had, with may be the exception of my past Porsche. (which is a totally different type of car of course).

Guys, if you follow Jeremy on Top Gear (BBC America) you will see how much the "culture" can influence a car despite all the high tech and research. Germans, all functional and business correct, Italians, lots of temperament and fun, but never perfect and often lack of functionality, Japanese perfection to the point of boredom and absolutely no personality,
now I leave it up to you to describe the British and the XJ. Looking forward to your comments.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you guys for your help! The XJ is a phenomenal car. I actually prefer it to the Audi.. esp the styling and S/C engine, but I am enticed by some of the technological features of the Audi. I agree Jag skimped out on such features :dualview front screen, power rear side shades, front fog lights, power soft closing doors, night vison, led interior accent lights and a few other driver's aid systems, but it comes standard with great features that are options on most competitors. When it comes to the XJ, my top two color choices would be Polaris White and Lunar Grey with Ivory or Cashew Leather. I like the London Tan leather but I think its too much "orange" on the seats, lower door and dash panels. I wished Jag had a darker brown leather (tobacco color). I was initially concerned about the soft grain leather because a friend of mine recently got the XF S/C and he said he is noticing "creases" on the drivers seat. I was under the impression that semi-aniline leather didnt show "wear" as much.. lol My top two wheel choices would be the Polished Kasugas and the Orona wheels. Audis have been renowned for their remarkable interiors. The MMI and B/O are nice but I couldnt justify paying 6k for the sound system. The Bowers and Wilkens in the Jag is pretty amazing and I think a good competition to the B/O. I commend Jag on the interior of the new XJ and the materials used. I am very picky and detailed when it comes to cars.. and in this day and age you have to be. I am a stickler when it comes to engines.. esp the way it starts. I have backed out of numerous car purchases because the engine clunked on or didnt have that raw V8 sound..ex: MB 550... super nice car but didnt liked the way it sounded when you started it. I can attest Lexus' V8 engines have that sweet start up sound and so do the Jaguar/Land Rover V8 engines. I guess its a combination of the slight hestiation and the rumble of the exhaust note on inital start up.. I know.. I know.. it sounds crazy but dont judge! HA....If there is anyone in the Dallas area, please let me know what is the best Jag dealer in terms of service and dealer experience and what kind of experiences you've had. I know the Park Place in Plano is pretty new but I dont think they have many vehicles available to sell.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jagger11,
I just sent you PM with details concerning my Dallas purchase last week.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:15 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagger11
If there is anyone in the Dallas area, please let me know what is the best Jag dealer in terms of service and dealer experience and what kind of experiences you've had. I know the Park Place in Plano is pretty new but I dont think they have many vehicles available to sell.
Park Place is the only Jaguar dealer in Dallas now, having bought Millennium Motors in Plano and Overseas Motors in Dallas. There's also Autobahn Motors in Ft. Worth.

I bought mine from Park Place Plano. My sales guy, Steve Lester, did a great job on the sales and delivery process. I haven't had to use their service dept. yet (yeah!), so I can't comment on that side of the business.

The following 2 users liked this post by barryf43:
Cadillac (12-01-2011), Dochands (12-01-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Wink

Agree with Barry. Steve did well by me. Excellent on my trade and negotiated a much better price then I could get in Oklahoma.

Service department did all the current TSBs and provided me a printout of them. And they have a sexy redhead at the reception desk. lol

As far as the S8 and the XJL SC, I was wrestling with the same choice. Ultimately the Jag seemed the better value car. Audi is now in a premium position and their sales staff knows it. My friend was my sales person and even he could not do much on price or options. Also, long wait for a car that was not in stock and few S8s seem to be in stock. I thought the ergonomics of the S8 were good but ultimately it felt a bit small especially after testing the Jag. The Jag felt right from the moment I drove it. The S8 didn't. Love it's gadgets but I am hoping to aftermarket at least nightvision before this year is out (tried once but they couldn't get it working with my main display). Honestly listen to your gut after you test drive them. I'd hit the Jag dealer first and then Audi and decide.