XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Moving back to the UK so good bye to my US spec Jag

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 10:51 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Moving back to the UK so good bye to my US spec Jag

So, apart from the steering wheel being on the wrong side of the car, I cannot take my beloved storm grey XF R Sport back to the UK, because is does not meet a lot of the requirements for the UK road system (lights being the big one, apart from the left to right hand drive tedious problem). You can adjust the side to which the lights dip, which seems pointless given the other issues e.g. front turn signals cannot be amber, rear turn signals cannot be red, no visible side indicators etc. All rather tedious. designed to ensure that you do not buy a car in one market and take it to another.

So I will say good bye to my Jag and, maybe (and given the prices in the UK, quite remote) look at one on the other side of the pond. I do wish that international standards were truly in harmony.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a shame but flip side hopefully the service departments over there have shorter lines given that Jag is right up the road.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:54 AM

Maybe. I am not hopeful based on comments from friends I have in the UK. I have never understood why my local Jaguar Land Rover Dealer here in town takes 3 to 4 weeks to schedule a visit and, when I do get there, they need 2 to 3 days to do a standard service. They are always 'running behind'. I compare this to our local BMW dealer where you can schedule for a service within 2 to 3 days and the service is usually completed the same day, 95% of the time. A vast difference in service capabilities.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Hopefully you will still have UK left to move back to after March 29.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:50 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by whitbyxf
Maybe. I am not hopeful based on comments from friends I have in the UK. ......
For non-stock parts, I can place an order with my local dealer (Stratstone Jaguar) before 2:00 pm and it is delivered from the Jaguar European Parts Centre in Frankfurt, Germany overnight for collection the following day. Servicing (fixed price) is booked at my convenience and a courtesy car ready and waiting.

Graham

Old 01-25-2019, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by SinF
Hopefully you will still have UK left to move back to after March 29.
Quite. It is not looking good these days and my wife and I are beginning to have second thoughts. It is motivated by the business I am in, but I am beginning to think it would not make much sense given the turmoil, or at least we should delay for a while.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
For non-stock parts, I can place an order with my local dealer (Stratstone Jaguar) before 2:00 pm and it is delivered from the Jaguar European Parts Centre in Frankfurt, Germany overnight for collection the following day. Servicing (fixed price) is booked at my convenience and a courtesy car ready and waiting.

Graham
I have noticed that a number of US resident Jag owners seem to have a similar experience to me, so this may be a US problem and not one that is experienced in the UK. If and when we get back to the UK, we may be able to test out the theory. Meanwhile, my local dealer does a reasonable job but it takes such a long time to get an appointment (2 to 3 weeks) and if you ask for anything outside the standard service it can take 2 or 3 days to get your car back (in my case I wanted new wiper blades and an alignment in my last service). They always provide a loaner, so I am not greatly inconvenienced but it seems as if they over whelmed by the service requirement for Land Rovers and Jags.

My experience with BMW in 4 states in the US has been that you can get an appointment within 2 to 3 days (a week at the worst) and if you bring the car in before 10:00 am they can get it back to you the same day for most common things like service + wipers + alignment + noises etc.I suppose this is a reflection of the fact that BMW sell a lot more cars than JLR in the US. I still love my Jag though!!

Old 01-26-2019, 02:39 AM
jbn
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by whitbyxf
Quite. It is not looking good these days and my wife and I are beginning to have second thoughts. It is motivated by the business I am in, but I am beginning to think it would not make much sense given the turmoil, or at least we should delay for a while.
Originally Posted by GGG
I am helping you hope that after 29th March the automotive supply chain for both parts and manufacturing will continue to flow just as easily.