XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Nav and traffic

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 12:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Nav and traffic

I'm picking up a 2016 XF S AWD this weekend ... it has the base InTouch system in it (base Meridian audio). Does the navigation do live traffic, and, if so, does it require a subscription?

How is the audio overall? Brought a CD to the dealership to check it out and was surprised you can't put it in the car

Old 04-12-2016, 03:47 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rp911
I'm picking up a 2016 XF S AWD this weekend ... it has the base InTouch system in it (base Meridian audio). Does the navigation do live traffic, and, if so, does it require a subscription?

How is the audio overall? Brought a CD to the dealership to check it out and was surprised you can't put it in the car
You likely know this by now but the live traffic does require Sirius XM subscription. You get 3 months after signing up, but then it costs. Sadly many other makes include lifetime traffic but Jaguar does not. I would have thought for a 75K car Jaguar could have negotiated a better deal.

Audio is excellent. I traded in a vehicle with the 825 watt Beats audio system and the Meridian at less than half the power sounds just as good. You can set the equalizer for mid, bass and treble and position the fader to set your needs as well. I had a Meridian in my 2013 Land Rover and my spouse has a Harmon Kardon in her 2013 LR4 and the Jag just sounds better than the HK.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:00 PM

I just realized my Sirius trial is in effect now ... but I still don't see any traffic on my navigation. Does it need to be enabled somehow?

Old 04-20-2016, 10:56 PM

Mine just came up after I activated Sirius. Unlike previous Garmin system in other cars, this does not seem to turn the roadway red or yellow for informing of congestion but does show signs warning of delays, accidents, etc. I would surmise it may be tied to the Sirius traffic channel reports?

Old 04-21-2016, 09:59 PM
Default Navigation

The older navigation sets were made by Denso, which appears to be the offshoot of Nippon-Denso who made phones and other electronics in the US and abroad.

Sirius apparently does not do the traffic, as their site shows they do not handle 2016 Jaguar for real time traffic.

So I am perplexed as mine works but then again, I only tried it after Sirius activation so maybe it was working all the time?

I also found updates for the 2014 and earlier system are through Denso using a USB Stick. We have SD cards so???

Old 04-22-2016, 12:40 PM

That's disappointing in a $70k car ... just want to be able to zoom out and see what the best route to take is as far as traffic. Amazing that you can do it on a $100 smartphone but not in a new Jaguar. I know that I can get some sort of bracket to stick the phone in and use Waze, but really ...

Old 04-22-2016, 01:52 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you guys sure that the base InControl includes nav traffic? I looked thru the order guide and it is not included. Then I searched the jag usa site, and it talks about traffic as part of the InControl Pro system's "Connected Nav." Jaguar Connected Navigation | Jaguar USA

It may be there, but I haven't seen anything similar for the base system.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by hinckley
Are you guys sure that the base InControl includes nav traffic? I looked thru the order guide and it is not included. Then I searched the jag usa site, and it talks about traffic as part of the InControl Pro system's "Connected Nav." Jaguar Connected Navigation | Jaguar USA

It may be there, but I haven't seen anything similar for the base system.
You have to go to another screen after you are in the Navigation screen. It says "Information" and there are choices. I believe the top one is Traffic and if you press there it shows the current traffic issues.

I think it's archaic to have to do all that. My Garmin in the last car had a small circle at the top left that turned color based on the traffic and all you had to do is touch it and it would let you know what was happening, allow recalculation for detours, etc. Also had automatic traffic detour suggestions. All that in a 37K vehicle but not in a 75K Jag...bummer

Old 06-04-2016, 04:33 PM

I drove the first long distance trip with the XF and found the following:

Traffic is indeed there and shows a red line through the center of the road when traffic is backed up. Numerous times while navigating the intensely irritating I-405 the system told me there was congestion or a traffic incident ahead and offered rerouting. I did set a course from home to check the accuracy of the system (spot on) and used the return to home on the way back. Perhaps that's where traffic comes in; you need to set a route/destination before it works? Dunno but it was flawless. I didn't have to select anything additional, it was just there. You can however go to the second screen and choose favorites and tap traffic for more info. A wasted step I think.

Fuel mileage was 25.7 mpg city and highway combined, very good considering we were stuck in bumper to bumper stop and go traffic for over an hour on the return trip. On the trip out, there was no traffic and at an average 75 MPH the gauge showed 27.8 mpg.

Another happy Jaguar owner for sure!

Old 06-04-2016, 08:51 PM
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Hmm. Interesting observation re: traffic indicators. I'll try it out next trip.

I have found the navigation search nearby by location name (rather than generic category) has worked really well for me multiple times. And saved me some headaches. It's still not my fave but, it should get recognized for doing that very well.

Old 06-05-2016, 03:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My XF has the base in control system + nav.

The car indeed does traffic updates, but I do not know whether it is through sirius or not. If so, it would be really annoying to have to pay for it after 3 months (though I'm sure with how sirius is you can easily get a 6 month extension).

However, in the car - once you enter your destination and begin the journey the car will notify you of upcoming traffic, and if its bad will offer re-routing suggestions that you can preview before deciding.

My other car is a 2013 BMW 3 series, and I find this Jaguar system MUCH better than the BMW. Sure, entering destinations isn't as easy - but I find the Jaguar MUCH more accurate about the traffic (BMW arrival times were always hit or miss) and the Navigations display is AWESOME (the graphics showing the actual freeway lanes you should be in are far far better than an arrow pointing a certain way in my BMW).

Very pleased .

Old 06-05-2016, 09:58 AM

I found this regarding whether the US models require a Sirius Subscription:
"No. The US Jaguar Sat Nav TMC is an FM-RDS system that uses data broadcast in the sidebands of FM stations. The data may be supplied for broadcast via Navteq or Clear Channels (not sure which). It is a free service that is also used by a number of the portable GPS manufacturers."

Interesting that in the UK " ITIS provides traffic data on RDS-TMC to major automotive companies (BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, Ford, Renault, Jaguar Land Rover and others). The price of the service is included in the price of the car or navigation system."

No reason to believe that traffic will not continue to be free here in the US also.

This morning (6/6) received an e-mail from Total Traffic Network http://www.ttwnetwork.com/

They stated:
"Our company does provide some traffic services for Jaguar, but, only using analog FM on a number of select, equipped vehicles.

While TTWN does have an HD data service, Jaguar has elected not to use the service at this time, and therefore, does not support an HD data service for Jaguar."

So it is likely the traffic is on FM and will continue to be included after Sirius subscription ends. Anyone have traffic still after they end Sirius??

Last edited by Magnumforc; 06-06-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 3 month sirrius trial has never worked and I've never seen any traffic on the nav, either as a line on the road or going into the menu's. I've sat in plenty of traffic jams (2.5hrs on Thursday night to go 50 miles) so it should be there.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update - I have traffic on my nav now ...

Took 4 visits to the dealer, a call to Jaguar USA and a talk with the dealership manager :
Visit 1 - told traffic is all configured fine in the system, just no alerts at the moment. Gave them a strange look since 3 months in boston and no alerts, but didn't have time to push more.
Visit 2 - went to a dealer I was driving past and took photos of a same spec car with the TMC nav alerts on the screen and nothing on my car parked next to it.
Visit 3 - dropped the car off and showed them the pics, told 2 days later no your car doesn't have traffic you need InControl Pro to get traffic but the actual service note mentions that TMC should be working ...
Called Jaguar USA - told based on my vin I would not get traffic alerts, needed the incar wifi and 3g hot spot to get traffic ...
Visit 4 - sat with dealership manager, who was really helpful, and showed him a car on their lot with the TMC working and mine not, took pictures of window sticker for specs and nav version numbers from the incontrol system.

Fixed 2 days later with the nav SD card replaced.

I really like driving the car but it seems the support is not up to speed.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:25 PM
Default Navigation

I would think the dealer could have tried another SD card to determine if the card was the problem before 4 trips in were necessary. Granted they don't have all their stuff together and blame it on the newness of the vehicle, but why are there so many people complaining about repeat visits to correct a single problem? This will not bode well for Jaguar in the coming years if current owners jump the loyalty train due to dealer issues.

That said, the Jag is an amazing vehicle in every way. At least that is my case. I would buy another in the future, if only the depreciation curve were not like an Olympic ski jump!

Old 10-08-2016, 11:08 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnumforc
You have to go to another screen after you are in the Navigation screen. It says "Information" and there are choices. I believe the top one is Traffic and if you press there it shows the current traffic issues.

I think it's archaic to have to do all that. My Garmin in the last car had a small circle at the top left that turned color based on the traffic and all you had to do is touch it and it would let you know what was happening, allow recalculation for detours, etc. Also had automatic traffic detour suggestions. All that in a 37K vehicle but not in a 75K Jag...bummer
Well, we only got our 2016 XF AWD Prestige Jag 4 days ago. While driving to our daughters place the Nav voice told us there was a traffic jam on United Blvd and 7 East. She directed us to turn off before it. Is that what you folks are calling Traffic Info. I don't have Serius Radio eitherÉÉÉ
AL

Old 10-08-2016, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Magnumforc
You likely know this by now but the live traffic does require Sirius XM subscription. You get 3 months after signing up, but then it costs. Sadly many other makes include lifetime traffic but Jaguar does not. I would have thought for a 75K car Jaguar could have negotiated a better deal.

Audio is excellent. I traded in a vehicle with the 825 watt Beats audio system and the Meridian at less than half the power sounds just as good. You can set the equalizer for mid, bass and treble and position the fader to set your needs as well. I had a Meridian in my 2013 Land Rover and my spouse has a Harmon Kardon in her 2013 LR4 and the Jag just sounds better than the HK.
Love the Meridien system. Best system I have had yet,...

Old 10-12-2016, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by BCJAG
Love the Meridien system. Best system I have had yet,...
Agree. Beats the Logic 7 in BMWs by a mile.
AL

Old 10-13-2016, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 245 Posts

I receive live traffic updates while in NAV but my experience so far has been negative. I was warned of impending traffic backups and they never materialized. Not a Jaguar problem. The NAV itself is fine and I like the reminders displayed directly in front of me.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

the 16 XJ traffic is provided by ATT. You need a subscription to ATT in control traffic. It is not free. there is a 3G card installed in the console. I refuse to pay $200 a year to get traffic. It was free for 90 days and then it went away. You have to connect to the ATT wi-fi to get the traffic signal.

Quick Reply: Nav and traffic