XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Oil Level Overfilled

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 02:28 AM
Received 69 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Oil Level Overfilled

Still figuring out everything about my XF SportBrake. Was finally able to check the oil level successfully and it says Overfilled on the display, is this something I should be concerned about since it is still the original oil from the factory as far as I know, I just turned 500 miles. It did sit on the dealer lot though for a year and half so maybe they changed it ?
If so it didn't show on the CarFax. The XF is my first car that hasn't had a dipstick. From a search I realized you can only check the oil level when ignition is on but car is not started and the oil is cool. I had not driven it in about 2 hours when I checked.
I also wanted to get opinions on an oil change soon since it did sit for 1.5 years, was manufactured in 1/2018 and I just got it at the end of June, should I get the oil changed since most seem to recommend changing the oil at least once per year regardless of mileage ?

Last edited by JagWire_5280; 07-19-2019 at 02:31 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,131 Likes on 2,307 Posts

First thing to check - is it on dead level ground?
Even a mild slope will throw the reading out.
Next, follow the recommended procedure - warm the engine up then wait for 10+ minutes then check the oil level.
Next, check with the dealer if they changed the oil or not.
If they did they may have over-filled it.
Is yours an AWD? Very common for a dealership to over-fill an AWD as it has a smaller sump capacity that the equivalent RWD.
Lastly, if after all that you are sure it really is over-filled then get yourself an oil extraction / vacuum pump (Mityvac is popular) and suck some oil out through the oil extraction tube in the middle of the oil fill hole. Take out say .5 litres then check the oil level again and go from there with either taking more out or putting some back in.

Edit - forgot to add - sitting for 1.5 years with the original factory fill oil won't have done any harm but yes you MUST change the oil at least every 12 months to preserve the warranty. If it really did sit for 1.5 years then there is a fair chance the dealership changed the oil just before you picked up the car and if so they possibly over-filled it.

Last edited by OzXFR; 07-19-2019 at 05:38 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:16 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just got my AWD '17 R Sport back from its annual service yesterday. Never bothered to check it before today, but yup, mine shows overfilled, too.

Don't think I'll make the 2.5hr round trip, will dive into the engine compartment to find the oil fill hole.

The following users liked this post:
JagWire_5280 (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 05:22 PM
Received 69 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
First thing to check - is it on dead level ground?
Is yours an AWD? Very common for a dealership to over-fill an AWD as it has a smaller sump capacity that the equivalent RWD.
Lastly, if after all that you are sure it really is over-filled then get yourself an oil extraction / vacuum pump (Mityvac is popular) and suck some oil out through the oil extraction tube in the middle of the oil fill hole. Take out say .5 litres then check the oil level again and go from there with either taking more out or putting some back in.

Edit - forgot to add - sitting for 1.5 years with the original factory fill oil won't have done any harm but yes you MUST change the oil at least every 12 months to preserve the warranty. If it really did sit for 1.5 years then there is a fair chance the dealership changed the oil just before you picked up the car and if so they possibly over-filled it.
Thanks OzXFR, I took it into the dealer this morning, only 15 min. away. They fit me in quickly. The dealer had not changed the oil before I bought it so it is still the original and slightly overfilled from the factory. They just extracted a small amount, it was at 101% so just a tiny bit over, not enough to hurt anything. The official In-service date was 1/2019 after it sat on the lot for 1 year, even though I just bought in 6/19 as a CPO with 377 miles on it. My first scheduled oil change will be due 01/2020 so I'll wait until then to get the first one done, per their recommendation.

And It is the S AWD V6 and I took the reading on my garage on level ground.

I hadn't taken off the Oil Cap yet to see there is an Oil Extraction Tube, good to know, and I will look into a suction pump like a MightyVac, will be good to have for any future case where it may happen on the Jag or any other car.
Originally Posted by Porscheluxe
Just got my AWD '17 R Sport back from its annual service yesterday. Never bothered to check it before today, but yup, mine shows overfilled, too.
Don't think I'll make the 2.5hr round trip, will dive into the engine compartment to find the oil fill hole.

Don't mind at all waiting around for a while at the dealer on a Saturday when I can check out the Jaguars and Porsche's, like the GT2RS

And an Extremely nice and low mileage 2011 5.0 XJ

2011 5.0 XJ

Last edited by JagWire_5280; 07-20-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:07 PM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by JagWire_5280
And an Extremely nice and low mileage 2011 5.0 XJ

2011 5.0 XJ
That XJ looks nice, but as an early model it will hurt you if you didn’t have all the updates done under warranty. As the XJ wasn’t driven, it will likely have all the faults.