XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Potential new owner 2017 XFS

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 06:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential new owner 2017 XFS

Hi Everyone. I am about to lease a 2017 XF S but am bit concerned about the problems that are being reported with the ICTP. How problematic has it been and are the 2017's with the updates any better?
Also I read somewhere that you cannot scroll thru your preset radio stations using the steering wheel. Is that the case?
I am anxious to drive a Jaguar after a number of German sedans and I found a beautiful Aurora red w the brogue interior. It was stunning but these ICTP glitches are making me nervous.
Thanks!

Old 10-20-2016, 12:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First experience

I will share my brief one week experience with my first every Jaguar (XF-R), I previously owned a Mercedes and still own a BMW M-3, my XF is equipped with the dynamic adaptive control which makes it feel like a BMW when it is used or like a Mercedes when it is cancelled. This car has a very comfortable ride and the power when you need it especially the S model. I was advised by the dealer to stick with the non S if comfort was more important (I'm in my 50s).

As for the inControl apps they are completely useless, nothing there is comparable to Waze, Pandora or Spotify and they are still not planning to adapt Car Play or Android Auto anytime soon because of security issue (understandably so, some cars got hacked from thousand miles away), I have the 800W sound system, although it is much better than the stock 325W system it is inferior to the Bose system I used to have in my FX-45.

Steering wheel allows you to change tracks and sources, not preset memories (so far) but the high end touch screen has a custom home screen you might be able to save some presets..haven't tried). I attached my 120G 3rd gen iPod to the USB and it works great, I also put some songs on a flash drive and stuck it to the USB and it plays perfectly. Some people here complained about interrupted music from blue tooth, it only happened once for me.

I have ALL the options added to my XF-R including HUD and so far I love it, I decided to lease this one and wait 3 years to see where this model matures into.I hope this was helpful

Old 10-20-2016, 12:37 PM

Thank you for the information. As you mentioned the driving dynamics are great especially w the adaptive suspension. I probably won't be using the car apps much. I am mostly concerned w just basic nav and radio features. Not being able to change presets thru the steering wheel could b a deal breaker for me.
Thank you for getting back to me and enjoy your XF!

Old 10-21-2016, 10:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just checked today and you CAN switch presets using the steering wheel, the system stores favorites separately for sat radio and for am/fm.

Old 10-22-2016, 09:00 AM

Thanks yes I had the salesman send a technician out to my car and try it and he also verified you can change the presets thru the steering wheel.

I read thru 27 pages of the UK F-Pace forum of issues with the ICTP. It seems like almost every F Pace is affected. My dealer told me they have had issues with a number of F Paces and some XE's with the ICTP but so far no XF's have come back with problems. I guess that's what I expect him to say.

I don't know I'm very nervous. I'm thinking of switching to the MB C43 I was considering.

Thanks again

Old 10-29-2016, 01:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula1fan
Thanks yes I had the salesman send a technician out to my car and try it and he also verified you can change the presets thru the steering wheel.

I read thru 27 pages of the UK F-Pace forum of issues with the ICTP. It seems like almost every F Pace is affected. My dealer told me they have had issues with a number of F Paces and some XE's with the ICTP but so far no XF's have come back with problems. I guess that's what I expect him to say.

I don't know I'm very nervous. I'm thinking of switching to the MB C43 I was considering.

Thanks again

I tested the BMW 5, Audi6,MB C300(ugh) and E300. The MB C43 might be better but I would be surprised. With my 2016 XF AWD(for winter) Prestige and V6 it really scats! Not only scats but tracks like on rails. I was so surprised I simply bought it(cash) on the spot. I have owned 2 MBs and 2 BMWs and had problems with them all so I am not expecting a perfect car. I use the USB with a stick for music as the radio stations bug me with all the commercials. As noted elsewhere I find the Start/Stop feature a pain and switch it off. Most cars have it nowadays. Caveat Emptor with any car. Best wishes for your choice of car.
AL

Old 10-29-2016, 10:43 PM

Thanks for relaying your experience. I have had a number of MB's, BMW's , Audi's and P cars and have been fortunate that they have all been relatively trouble free. I am coming out of an Audi S8 and a BMW 750i prior to that and really had no issues other than scheduled maintenance with either vehicle.
It is a shame that the XF seems to suffer from these infotainment issues as the Jaguar was beautiful to behold and drove way better than any comparable German car in its class.
I am waiting to see if the expected Nov. update solves some of the issues as I am anxious to join the club.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 245 Posts

Like you I'm not interested in the apps. Besides, the best car implementations will always be behind the best cell phones. What sold me was my first test drive. It has the perfect balance of style, sport, power, balance, comfort, noise reduction, and handling for my taste. The ICT meets my requirements and I'm still finding neat features I wasn't aware of. I didn't make any trade offs by getting it.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:16 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula1fan
Thanks for relaying your experience. I have had a number of MB's, BMW's , Audi's and P cars and have been fortunate that they have all been relatively trouble free. I am coming out of an Audi S8 and a BMW 750i prior to that and really had no issues other than scheduled maintenance with either vehicle.
It is a shame that the XF seems to suffer from these infotainment issues as the Jaguar was beautiful to behold and drove way better than any comparable German car in its class.
I am waiting to see if the expected Nov. update solves some of the issues as I am anxious to join the club.
I think the ICTP was introduced before all the bugs were worked out and as a result there are many glitches that need to be addressed. I have the ICT in my 2016 and find it nearly flawless. Had 3 software updates installed this week and it even reads phone messages to me and allows me to reply. With a Samsung phone have had no connectivity issues at all. I also do not care about the apps as most seem lame and not worth dealing with on the road.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:15 PM

I have had my XF for four weeks. The ICTP is different. I came from multiple BMW's with I Drive which worked great...This is just completely different. It does function like a computer..where I drive was instant on. I find if I try to use ICTP as soon as I start it locks up. Sometimes, the radio just cuts out. It is a bit annoying that you have to wait for it to boot up to turn on the heated seats. In the end, I think I have to get used to it. It certainly looks cool

Old 01-14-2017, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by HTMC
I have had my XF for four weeks. The ICTP is different. I came from multiple BMW's with I Drive which worked great...This is just completely different. It does function like a computer..where I drive was instant on. I find if I try to use ICTP as soon as I start it locks up. Sometimes, the radio just cuts out. It is a bit annoying that you have to wait for it to boot up to turn on the heated seats. In the end, I think I have to get used to it. It certainly looks cool

Yes, I understand your perspective on these Systems. I also had many BMWs and until around 2012 the I Drive was a train wreck, Mostly we all need SAT upgraqdes to keep au courant with the changes in the city, especially, road systems. I don't find the graphics very good compared to the 3d of the I drive in BMW but we are also learning. I find the voice system works better and the directions are cleaner and more useable. I get the warnings for traffic jams etc and that helps. I find the Meridian system to be very close to the top BMW system and a little off the Bose system. I miss the CD drive from my 5 series which also played movies. Oh well, I prefer the XF otherwise, for sure. CHeers.

Al

Old 01-15-2017, 09:59 AM
Default Some 4 week Thoughts

As background I have driven nothing but BMWs and Mercedes since 1979. I have had a variety of styles, 3's. a 4, 5's a 7 on The MB side C Class, Clk, E Class etc. This is my first Jaguar. I think the Xf is fabulous so far. The ICTP is okay, it has some plusses and minuses compared to iDrive, the biggest negative is it is slow and it has to "boot" up. It also sometimes just cuts out....There are some other small things I notice. The doors do not feel as solid as the MB and BMW. The German product feels stronger and the Whump" when you open and close is much more solid. The door panel design and door jams are much cleaner on the German products.....One gets used to the small things. I liked the leg kick trunk opener on my 4 series. The Trunk on the XF lightly cracks and you have to use your hand to open it. As far as power, I think the xf is great, same thing for handling. I miss the fog lights, but not a deal breaker. I also notice a lot more seams in the body, not sure if that will mean anything down the road..........I always felt BMW's handled the best, and MBs were more comfortable...I think the XF is the perfect mix. I love the design....Thus far I am very pleased with my choice. The pro definitely outweigh the cons.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:03 PM

As background I have driven nothing but BMWs and Mercedes since 1979. I have had a variety of styles, 3's. a 4, 5's a 7 on The MB side C Class, Clk, E Class etc. This is my first Jaguar. I think the Xf is fabulous so far. The ICTP is okay, it has some plusses and minuses compared to iDrive, the biggest negative is it is slow and it has to "boot" up. It also sometimes just cuts out....There are some other small things I notice. The doors do not feel as solid as the MB and BMW. The German product feels stronger and the Whump" when you open and close is much more solid. The door panel design and door jams are much cleaner on the German products.....One gets used to the small things. I liked the leg kick trunk opener on my 4 series. The Trunk on the XF lightly cracks and you have to use your hand to open it. As far as power, I think the xf is great, same thing for handling. I miss the fog lights, but not a deal breaker. I also notice a lot more seams in the body, not sure if that will mean anything down the road..........I always felt BMW's handled the best, and MBs were more comfortable...I think the XF is the perfect mix. I love the design....Thus far I am very pleased with my choice. The pro definitely outweigh the cons.
Found your assessment interesting. It may be that the Jaguar aluminum architecture which differs also in it's underpinnings to BMW & MB is one reason the structure integration, especially the lack of a "clunk" in closing seems less appearling perhaps. The XF doors are thicker than my previous 5 series. Steel stampings and steel as opposed to aluminum body cladding is another reason. I have the automatic trunk opener which you don't seem to have. I don't agree that BMW handled/handless better. In fact, the BMW has become more of a 'boulevard ride' and I was a bit perplexed with my 2011 528i as it understeered and the txn was sluggish when pressed. As you note the XF has great power and handling. My close comparison between the V6 XF AWD and BMW535x drive showed the XF ahead on off the line acceleration due to the Supercharger and greater directional stability ie on entry/exit ramps when the cars are pressed hard. I prefer the improved Nav system in the BMW however but not the radio. I like the Meridien sound much better but not the way one finds stations without a button system for saving a particular station. Overall I too love my XF AWD 2016 Prestige with the V6.
AL

Old 01-31-2017, 02:13 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the door assessment, coming from my 2011 XF, but that is due to the aluminum, as stated, and the aggressive work in reducing the weight. I do like that the open doors, stay "in place" better when not on the half open or fully open "notches" for lack of a better term. I also found that the glove box and console doors feel lighter than the previous, and as such, can feel "cheap" but I chalk it up to their dedication to making this a lighter car. Glad they took the electronics away from opening the glove box. I totaled my 2011, fully paid off and only 40K miles - uggh! -in road flooding and we had to hook up a power source to get the glove box open at the repair shop that was storing the car until the insurance picked it up. I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to get it open at all.