XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Wheel Repair Help Request

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 07:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Repair Help Request

I hit a pothole last night and got a flat right front. Removed wheel and the inner rim is bent out in the spot where the pothole hit. Fortunately I was close to home and banged out the change pretty quick. Got home and noticed the right rear was going flat, so I suspect that rim is also bent. Seriously? I have hit potholes before in my two previous A4's that were much worse than this one with no issues. What are these wheels made out of - Playdoh?

Has anyone had the same issue? Where you able to repair the wheel or did you have to buy a new (used) one? Any recommendations would be really appreciated. First time this has happened to me in many years of car ownership and not sure where to turn.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:20 AM

I am in the Chicago area if that helps. Thanks!

Old 02-05-2019, 08:16 AM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Try to give a call to a discount tire or a tire rack. If they won't fix it at least they might recommend someone. Also make a search on Craigslist - someone might advertise this service.

Originally Posted by t6dpilot
What are these wheels made out of - Playdoh?
I believe it is done intentionally - the rim is easier and cheaper to replace than the control arms and/or the shock absorbers.

Last edited by ololly; 02-05-2019 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Butterfingers
Old 02-05-2019, 10:13 AM

Thanks ololly. I took it to my repair guy and he has a company that performs that service for them. He will take a look to see if it is repairable. He said that Jaguars are notorious for bent wheels. Guess that is the suspensions version of a crumple zone.

If I have to replace, who do you guys use for used parts? Shokan was a go to for Audi parts. Does the Jaguar community have a similar supplier? Thanks.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:14 PM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

For the wheels I use 2 sets - the cheapest rims with winter tires and the orig wheels for the summer. As for the other parts I can't tell you - our model is still under warranty. Therefore - dealer parts.

For the aftermarket there are couple of dealers on this web site. Look in the Classified section.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:20 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Yup, these wheels seems to be weaker than others. I've can only remember one wheel ever needing to be straightening on previous cars, and most of might cars have had large, light wheels. My 16 XF has the 19" wheels and I hid a hole on the highway last summer. Ended up having to replace one tire and have 3 wheels straighten. Two of them from that one even and one that must have happened on something previous.

Your local tire places will have one or two places they can send wheels out to be repaired. These wheels aren't special (apparently just soft), so in most cases it should be repairable.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Unfortunately the curse of low profile tyres. As others have noted the Jag oem wheels seem particularly soft. I have the 20inch on the older XF model and they have bent quite a few times - many of us have the same issue. Almost always repairable and if you have a good place they can get them perfect

I have some very good aftermarket wheels for my summer tires made by Rohanna. But discovered they can bend easily too. See attached - this one was wrecked and had to be replaced. It was only 5 months old...

If you can downsize the wheel and have more tirewall it helps (but may not be possible if you have the bigger brakes)

Attached Thumbnails Wheel Repair Help Request-photo469.jpg   Wheel Repair Help Request-photo133.jpg