XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 11:13 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Check Engine Light

2016 XF-S. I thought this was rather odd. I had a warning message on the In Control Remote app that service was due "imminently". No lights on the dash and annual service is not due for another two months. Then a day later the Check Engine Light illuminates while driving. No problem with acceleration or anything. Made an appointment with the dealer (who can't get me in for three weeks) who says just drive it, it's simply a service reminder. About 6 months ago the CEL went on it was an oxygen sensor. That was fixed.

With a vehicle this sophisticated, why not simply a message on the dash stating service required soon? Why illuminate a problem light if there is no real problem? The vehicle has only 10,800 miles.

Also, as much as I love this vehicle, dealer service leaves so much lacking. It's about an hour each way and after getting to the dealer before 0800, they sit on the cars (we also have a Land Rover) and keep them for days for simple maintenance. The issue with dealer service has me thinking about another brand where service is much closer. I dislike admitting it but service for my 30K Dodge was so much better and more timely than an almost 75K Jag.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:34 AM
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

My '16 XF lets me know when my mileage is getting close to scheduled maint (I think it gave me the notice yesterday that I'm due in 450 miles) - this was on the cluster, not on the app. My schedule maint is done in a single day and of course, I get a loaner

The following users liked this post:
Magnumforc (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 05:52 AM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

I'd disagree with your dealer, if the check engine light is on there is a problem, it may be insignificant or not, or it may develop into a more serious problem.
Only way to know is to check codes and determine what has triggered the light.

Magnumforc (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 05:52 AM
GGG
Received 16,796 Likes on 12,166 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnumforc
..... About 6 months ago the CEL went on it was an oxygen sensor. That was fixed.

With a vehicle this sophisticated, why not simply a message on the dash stating service required soon? Why illuminate a problem light if there is no real problem? ......
Is this the Service Indicator or the CEL?

The Service Indicator is reset by the Dealer after a scheduled service and is a simple time/miles countdown which displays a reminder as the next service approaches. However, if the diagnostic codes are subsequently cleared for any reason (as has happened here), this interferes with the countdown and the indicator can trigger long before the service is actually due. The Dealer (or a savvy owner) can turn this off but you can safely drive the vehicle with it illuminated.

If it is a CEL displayed then you have another genuine issue. A code reader will be required to determine why the CEL is illuminated.
Graham

Magnumforc (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 10:31 AM

Thanks all for the info. I don't have anything on the cluster but the CEL so it will have to go in to the dealer for service in any event. Strangely enough the app shows service due. Maybe it was a coincidence that the CEL came on later. Who knows. Still under warranty and I have retained the call log where I made the appt, so in the event it's anything significant it will still be on them. I know JLR dealers are not that plentiful, but it amazes me how many vehicles in for service all the time and how backlogged they always are. Thanks again for the replies.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:10 PM

So, the vehicle was at the dealer for 4 days and it indeed was a sensor. Code P0062-00 Heater Control Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 3. Replaced and cleared all codes.

That said, my service advisor was visible upset at the person in service who said to drive it for three weeks before it could be seen. In any event, it did not have any other issues and received LOF and a brake fluid service as well. Hope this is good for another year. And, I love this car, but if the charges on the dealers copy of the service bill are any indication of what this would have cost if not under warranty and the 5 year included maintenance, I might need a second job in the future.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnumforc
....but if the charges on the dealers copy of the service bill are any indication of what this would have cost if not under warranty and the 5 year included maintenance, I might need a second job in the future.
Purchase an OBD II reader. When you get a code, note it, and clear it. Often the light/code doesn't return and you had a spurious response, not a failure, and saved the service trip. If the same code returns then time for warranty repair. After warranty most any indy or yourself can repair at reasonable rates. This goes for any make car today. Code readers are cheap..... <$50. I carry one in my trunk. Yes, we/USA are blessed with the warranty and service included for 5 years.