XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Windshield wiper questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 04:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield wiper questions

Gents: I’m trying to replace my wiper blades on my ‘16 XF. There isn’t a ton of information on the internet about replacing the blades though I’m managing to figure it out. Anyway, I looked up the XF’s wiper specs on Rain X and Bosch and it said 22” for the driver’s side and 19” for the passenger side. But when I compare the factory blades to the one recommended, it’s a fair bit larger.

Anyone know why that might be?

The other question is how you get the I&L connector to work. I think it’s actually an I&L clone with the button. Do you guys have any advice on how to deal with the windshield wipers?

I searched the threads and could’nt find anything on it specifically.

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-01-2018, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't remember the exact sizes- whatever I stuck into Amazon/AutoZone's sizer works just fine size/connector-wise. That said, do not(!!!) by the Bosch Icon wipers. They streak, they chatter, and they're loud. Honestly, I wish stock OEM wipers were available for purchase.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:08 AM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Stock OEM wipers are available at your local dealership. Ironically they cost only couple bucks more than IKONs. I replaced them with IKONS and had to go back to stocks.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:38 AM
RGT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stock wipers hop

First rainy day for my new 2018, XF and my wipers are skipping, hopping and squealing all across the windshield. 30 minutes of driving in the rain was pretty annoying that way. Anyone else experience this? Is this just normal break-in? Haven't had this on any other car.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:03 AM

Yes, same story here. First rainy day with my new XF (back in September) and I couldn't believe the noise. The dealer replaced the blades after I tried several fixes. New blades solved the problem, but they still squeak a bit at the end of travel from time to time. I can't remember ever having noisy wipers, in any car, that didn't have an obvious issue. The XF had me stumped.

After hearing this complaint a few times, I'm wondering if there's a design (or manufacturing) issue with the wiper arms. Maybe it's a tension thing. Is there a service bulletin?

The following users liked this post:
RGT (12-18-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 12:11 PM
RGT

Maybe when I'm picking up my plates I'll have them take a look.

Another wiper related issue that came up for me: apparently you can't leave them up in service mode. When it snows heavily, especially when going north for a ski trip, and I know it's going to be snowing overnight, I always lift the blades off the windshield. In this car, that's not an option. When ignition is off, they will always return to parked position out of service mode.

As I type this, I'm thinking that the Jag comes with a heated windshield, so maybe it's not something I need to think about anymore. First heated front windshield for me

Old 12-18-2018, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,765 Posts

It might have heated wiper rests?
My 2005 S Type R had them. So no heated windshield but had some colored horizontal lines in the windshield down where the wipers rest.

Trending Topics

Old 12-18-2018, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by RGT

As I type this, I'm thinking that the Jag comes with a heated windshield, so maybe it's not something I need to think about anymore. First heated front windshield for me
I only use it to remove fogging out of mine. Not sure if it is strong enough to heat the outer surface quickly,

Old 12-18-2018, 03:32 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Stock are way better than most anything out there. And theyre about the same price and unclip without adapters needed. Take 30 seconds to change both. Just about every aftermarket out there is also not stiff enough at highway speeds. And chatter, plus the oem come with a 1 year warranty

Old 12-18-2018, 03:47 PM
RGT

That's an interesting thought. I realized that the manual, which I actually RTFM'd fully, appears to not actually note what's optional equipment. So some things I find that I have and some I don't. The manual talks about every item as a given. The sales 'sticker' notes most, but not all options the car came with, so I guess some are 'Jag standard' and I'm just not familiar enough yet.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,765 Posts

Brutal can you give some part numbers?
Looking around I find several and it's not clear which ones are for the XJ?
They are listing the F-Type but maybe they are the same?

Old 12-20-2018, 08:55 AM

When I was buying my OEM wipers at the dealership they asked for a VIN. Apparently there are some variations even within a model year. The tech said that he needs last 4 of my VIN to locate the proper wipers and there are several for my MY

Old 12-20-2018, 08:59 AM

You know i dont work in parts
you need the last 6 of the vin not 4
there are online dealers that you can get part number access and the better ones will let you input you last 6 of the vin

ololly (12-20-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Brutal
You know i dont work in parts
Actually I didn't know that. Now I know

you need the last 6 of the vin not 4
But now you know that I really don't work in parts

Brutal (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 02:18 AM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Originally Posted by RGT
That's an interesting thought. I realized that the manual, which I actually RTFM'd fully, appears to not actually note what's optional equipment. So some things I find that I have and some I don't. The manual talks about every item as a given. The sales 'sticker' notes most, but not all options the car came with, so I guess some are 'Jag standard' and I'm just not familiar enough yet.
Since Jaguar moved to generic manuals with one per Model per Model Year, this caveat has been in the Introduction:

I agree that a list of STANDARD and OPTIONAL equipment should be included.

Graham

Old 12-21-2018, 10:37 AM

You know sometimes i just want to put an emoji on a comment not a thanks. Aka facebook style.................. Beuller, bueller, bueller

Old 12-21-2018, 02:20 PM

You know sometimes i just want to put an emoji on a comment not a thanks. Aka facebook style.................. Beuller, bueller, bueller
So true

Old 12-21-2018, 08:38 PM
RGT

Originally Posted by madgrey
Yes, same story here. First rainy day with my new XF (back in September) and I couldn't believe the noise. The dealer replaced the blades after I tried several fixes. New blades solved the problem, but they still squeak a bit at the end of travel from time to time. I can't remember ever having noisy wipers, in any car, that didn't have an obvious issue. The XF had me stumped.

After hearing this complaint a few times, I'm wondering if there's a design (or manufacturing) issue with the wiper arms. Maybe it's a tension thing. Is there a service bulletin?
So two more rainy days and the wipers are now working without a single skip or squeek. Either they broke in, or maybe there was some kind of wax on the windshield that needed to bring scraped off?

Old 12-21-2018, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by RGT
So two more rainy days and the wipers are now working without a single skip or squeek. Either they broke in, or maybe there was some kind of wax on the windshield that needed to bring scraped off?
Here's my $.02..... I've had cars that the wipers 'stutter' and I've always been able to fix them after going through the drill .... blade angle, arm pressure, clean windshield (not just wipe but clean with razor blade and compound), and new blades. Never the same thing fixed the problem from one to the next but I have noticed that new blades on a clean windshield usually works for a while. I have also noticed that when lubricated with windshield washer fluid the stuttering stops for at least a while. Leads me to believe it's wiper blade rubber that's breaking down with use and airborne contamination that causes it.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by rgt
so two more rainy days and the wipers are now working without a single skip or squeek. Either they broke in, or maybe there was some kind of wax on the windshield that needed to bring scraped off?
jaguar has a windshield paste that cleans the glass and should be done a often as needed. And im sure there other glass cleaning compounds out there as well. I know amway sells a glass cleaning paste that works the same too. I usually just use glass spray cleaner and 0000 steel wool faster and cleaned the crap off the glass you dont see

RGT (01-20-2020)

Quick Reply: Windshield wiper questions