XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Windshield wipers stuttering.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 12:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield wipers stuttering.

Every time it rains my wipers start off smooth then the more it rains the wipers start catching and stuttering along the glass making a very annoying noise. I installed new wipers and no change. Anyone have this issue and what was the solution? Thanks

2016 xf Rsport

Last edited by chefhawki; 08-22-2018 at 12:34 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:53 PM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Are they stuttering at the higher speeds? Also, did you change the wipers or just the blades?

Old 08-22-2018, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by ololly
Are they stuttering at the higher speeds? Also, did you change the wipers or just the blades?
they stutter at all speeds. It seems like the longer it rains they stutter harder. I changed the blades. They act like I’m trying to use my wipers when the windshield doesn’t have enough moisture to glide smooth.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:09 PM

Whatever the stock wipers that came with my car (exact same model) were great. After they started to wear and stutter I did a lot of review reading and eventually purchased Bosch ICONs. They're terrible (at least on the XFs). They occasionally stutter, streak on the longer of the two, and otherwise are a waste of the extra money.

Let us know if you find a replacement set that is better

Old 08-23-2018, 09:51 AM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by thomsonac
Whatever the stock wipers that came with my car (exact same model) were great. After they started to wear and stutter I did a lot of review reading and eventually purchased Bosch ICONs. They're terrible (at least on the XFs). They occasionally stutter, streak on the longer of the two, and otherwise are a waste of the extra money.

Let us know if you find a replacement set that is better
That's my story to the T... I had to buy a new set of XF wipers as I discarded the old one. Apparently the OEM wipers have small spoilers which push them against the windshield at higher speeds. Without those spoilers IKONs were stuttering madly at speeds above 60mph.

And that's why I asked the OP whether he replaced the wipers or just blades... But with his answer here goes that theory. I got nothing...

Old 08-23-2018, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 245 Posts

Do they stutter with a squirt of windshield washer fluid to lubricate? If not the windshield probably has a film of oily road grime that needs to be removed.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:42 AM

My 2018 XF does the same. Seems to be when it starts off on the travel and I wonder whether the wiper is correctly seated in the arm. Still under guarantee so I'll leave it for the dealer to remedy.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My new XF was stuttering from day one. I tried various things:

1. RainX - worse
2. Thorough windsheild and wiper blade cleaning - improved a little
3. Using a bit of wiper fluid each time I drive - improved a little
The best I could get was random smooth operation about 1/2 the time. The other 1/2 of the time the noise was pretty annoying. The problem was independent of driving speed and wiper speed. I also noticed occasional contact with the A pillar (driver's side), mostly when the wipers were acting up.

I took it in to the dealer and they replaced the blades and adjusted the sweep. So far, so good but I'm starting to wonder how long these are going to last.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:48 AM
Default Still stuttering.

On the 4th set of wipers. Still stuttering when it rains. Pretty frustrating. I was told by the dealership they would replace the arms after the 3rd set, but they just gave me new blades again. When i asked why they didn’t replace the arms he told me the tech saw nothing wrong with them still. I went to another dealer and was informed that the wipers are not included in warranty??? So if I have been dealing with this issue with another dealer keep with them and hopefully they will switch arms one day. So, I have that going for me.

Old 11-11-2018, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

This also happens on my 2009 MG TF !! I also get it ocasionally on my X358 2007 Sovereign, so it's not just an XF problem.

Old 11-11-2018, 05:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No issues with my 2016, hope I didn't just jinx myself. Still on original set although am on my second windshield.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:19 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

In case this is any help...
I've had this problem on my 09 and 12. It was much worse when I was using Rain-X; then I read that this is an adverse side-effect of Rain-X.
I used equal parts water and white vinegar to remove the Rain-X, which took several applications.
I've always used the Jaguar blades.
My brother told me that when the blades started chattering on his Cadillac, he used glycerin. (Never tried it myself).
I don't drive the car in the rain much, but it seems I've had little or no chattering since removing the Rain-X.
I do find, though, that after 10-20 minutes driving in light rain, there seems to be a faint squeak from the right end of the passenger blade at the end of its travel - like it's hitting the trim.

Still, I think these wipers are a vast improvement over the old single-blade XJ's.

Old 01-14-2022, 03:41 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting Post - my F-Pace has started doing the same, juddering wipers, especially on the drivers side as it returns, both in drizzle & heavy rain. Mines 2017, 3.0 Supercharged Sport, had only done 140km when I got it, now about 25K Kms so still "new".
It sounds like Rain-X might be the culprit as I did use it some time back to help clean the screen. Mine had original blades which I recently replaced with new WiperTech ones - they are now juddering as well. I do use Bars Bugs in the washer fluid, have tried wiping the screen with isopropyl alcohol in case any wax or oily grimes was on it. Guess I'll just have to get serious with the screen cleaning, see if that helps.
Thanks guys
Barrie

Old 01-14-2022, 05:51 AM
Received 166 Likes on 140 Posts

I use Windex in all of my vehicles. Clean your car's wiper first using a water hose and the with help of your fingers remove any dirt stuck on the wipers, after that, using a water hose, spray in sprinkler mode onto your windshield removing all the dead bugs, road grimes, ect. It must be free of dirt. Dry it out using clean cloth. Then apply Windex.

Last edited by 2018XF25T; 01-14-2022 at 05:58 AM.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,767 Posts

Yes cleaning might help?
I use fine steel wool on the glass and I prefer Stoner or Sprayway for glass cleaners. Try them they are better.

Then I clean the wiper blades themselves. I have a small kit made for that but I don't think it's mandatory.
Looks something like this and they are about $6 all over EBay.

Yes I was a fan of the Rain-X type stuff and it does work to make the water bead up and flow off the windshield but with the much improved wiper blades these days it just contaminates the glass surface.

Old 01-15-2022, 06:31 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Just quickly, I clean my screen with toothpaste whenever the wipers act up. Always worked for me in 40 years of motoring.

Old 01-16-2022, 04:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

I had very bad juddering with my MG TF and finally found a pair that didn't judder. It seems to be a matter of just swapping out different makers until you find one that works OK.
https://www.wiperblades.co.uk/rover-...k-wiper-blades
Of course this is a UK supplier site.

Old 01-17-2022, 03:01 AM

A quick update folks - I've been in touch with a rep from Smits Group here in NZ - they deal mainly with Meguiars products which I use on the F-Pace. He has suggested cleaning the screen with Meguiars Perfect Clarity Glass Compound to remove any residue of any type of product or fallout that maybe on the surface. I'll give that a whirl, see what happens. However the old toothpaste trick is a good one too - helped me no end trying to decipher faded etchings on a headstone in West Chinnock, UK, years ago when I was tracing family history .

Old 01-29-2022, 08:01 PM
Default Clean Screen at Last - I think!!

Hi folks - a bit of elbow grease and a well smeared windscreen using a mix of toothpaste & some CRC glass cleaner I had seems to have done the job, looked a bit messy though
Wipers seem to be behaving again - they got a workout in some drizzly rain over the weekend.
I used a nail-brush to really work the mix in on the screen on a dewy morning, kept it damp, & gave the wiper blades a good clean with the mix as well before sluicing it all off.
Based on this experience then, I'll be keeping Rain-X or any similar product well clear of my vehicle windscreens.
Thanks for the info & ideas.