XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2008-2011 B&W Surround Retrofit from Base audio

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 03:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
There's only two versions of the premium head unit in the 2008-2011 cars, a 6-disc or a single-disc, there are two different part numbers of each version, but that was just supercessions over time.

You can have DAB and A2DP Bluetooth streaming with factory parts retrofitted, the only aftermarket component is the WMA1000 but that's just a dongle that plugs into the cable.

Our mate in Warwickshire can do these retrofits, has done a few for people now.
Having discovered that the 6CD plays MP3 discs I'm happy with that setup for the moment as I'd already burnt a load when I had an CD head unit in my XJ Sport. The Premium system isn't very loud though. Slightly regretting not getting a newer Portfolio model.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:35 PM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by harryf
Do you know if an aw93-19c164-bp would work? It comes from an XJ. I'm trying to get one of the ones you mentioned, but they are expensive (that was why I went with the Land Rover one initially as it had most of the letters the same except for the first ones CH) and from the amount of money I've thrown into the wrong amps and not knowing how much better the surround sound will be compared to what I currently have with the Amp and upgraded B&W speakers without the Surround.
So if I reprogram the amp (is it just updating amp in JLR SDD?) aw93-19c164-bp, the surround should work? Isn't this the same as the ones you mentioned above? I'm afraid to bork the amp as I did that once before and the amp, ceased to work. I am using all B&W drivers but using the 2012 headunit in my car. I know the wiring of the surround for the rear deck polarity is switched and have spliced the cables appropriately.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:22 AM

Cambo, Can you describe what the amp reprogramming with SDD is? I've performed the configure new modules - Audio Amplifier Module and it doesn't seem to find the correct software and it goes through a programming it anyway. I've changed the CCF to enable Premium Sound system so that I get the surround features on the head unit. However I get no sound now. I selected the AW-B module. Should I be using the A? Or AAM? Also do I need to change the CCF for amplifier type to AUD3 or leave that empty?
An step by step explanation would be great. Thanks!

Old 05-17-2018, 03:35 PM

The amps in the XJ have a different software to the XF, while it may "work" it will sound very ordinary...
Cambo, you mentioned these amps: BJ32-19C164-BF, BJ32-19C164-BG, DX23-19C164-BA. Are they the only ones which will work?

I tried reprogramming the aw93-19c164-bp and it didn't work. I had thought from another thread that that might work if you reprogrammed it as you said it was plug and play with these on the XJ thread, so when you mentioned those 3, I thought any of these would work.
AW93-19C164-BH
AW93-19C164-BN
AW93-19C164-BP
AW93-19C164-BR
BJ32-19C164-BF
BJ32-19C164-BG
DX23-19C164-BA
GK52-19C164-BA
Instead all channels don't work anymore after the reprogramming.

What I have is a 2012MY XF Portfolio with B&W door drivers , Subwoofer, and the B&W surround drivers. So in total, 14 speakers. The brochure says 17 speakers, so I think that is because that year they went with the coaxial surround speakers. This is a maddening experience! Any guidance would be very appreciated as I am getting frustrated because of these issues and no documentation anywhere. I originally thought I could retrofit the car with the 2011 B&W premium sound systems pretty easily. Adding the B&W door replacements and the Sub/ and upgraded Amp was simple, but the surround was much more difficult. I did reverse the polarity on the two surround drivers on the rear deck.

Last edited by harryf; 05-17-2018 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How can I test 6 disc changer and ICM module optic fiber and power

Seeing that you have knowledge of the audio system do you know how I can test my components as I have a black screen and when I remove the optical connector from the screen it flashes the logo. I have looped the bluetooth and audio module under the drivers side seat in my 2009 xf. Also my touch screen shows a red light from the optical port however the 6 disc and ICM module does not display a light source with or without the optical connector connected. Thanks

Old 01-23-2019, 12:05 PM

Attachment 144039

Head unit removed.

Attachment 144040

You can see the difference between the Surround unit (above) and Base unit (below).

Attachment 144041

Attachment 144042

Attachment 144043

Wiring harness' already there.

Attachment 144044

Had to make an extension piece for the MOST fiber optic network to add the amplifier
Hi, i hope you still active on this topic. I will attempt to do this upgrade to my XF and i would be grateful if you can help me with some details.
Where do you connect the fibre optic cable for the amp?
Where do you connect the centre dash speaker after you make the wiring for it?
After you replace the headunit with the upgraded one what do you do with the connector that goes in the black socket on the old headunit? and what is that for?

Thank you in advance.

Old 01-27-2019, 01:51 PM

Hi Cambo,
I have a 2012 XF Portfolio (US Model), and I am working on an audio system upgrade. I added the following parts:
- BJ32-19C164-BF amp.
- subwoofer
- 3 B&W surround speakers - the 2008-2011 models pictured in this thread.
All the speakers work, but the center dash speaker is a bit loud with a bit too much treble.
Still much better than the stock system.
I am thinking that I need to reconfigure the CCF file, but before attempting that I am hoping that I can confirm the advisability of doing that and the appropriate settings with you.
Currently there are no surround sound settings showing up in the display on the head unit.
Wish I was close enough to come by your shop, and I don't know of anyone who can handle it here in Los Angeles.
Thanks in advance for your advice,
Don

Old 01-28-2019, 01:29 AM
Received 85 Likes on 79 Posts

Once you update the software you can turn down the centre speaker, as I also find it a bit overpowering.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:57 PM

Would love to know if theres anyone who can retro fit my 2009 car with the b&w units? Im In Weybridge, Surrey....

Old 02-26-2019, 02:27 PM

Finished this off yesterday. 2011MY XF which had the Base audio from the factory, now has the full Bowers & Wilkins Surround system.

There are three different audio systems in the Pre-Facelift XF from 2008 to 2011

Base Audio; 80W, 8-speakers, no sub
Premium Audio; 320W, 9-speakers incl sub
Bowers & Wilkins Surround Sound; 440W, 14-speaker surround sound with subwoofer
(actually that's what it says in the brochure, in the technical documents it's a 650W system)

The B&W system has the yellow Kevlar cone speakers.

Parts used;

All door speakers replaced with original B&W's
Additional 2 midrange speakers added to front doors, original B&W's
Factory sub mounted under the spare wheel.
Parcel shelf changed to one from B&W car, with 2x surround speakers, and sunblind
Center dash speaker added, original B&W
Added the surround amplifier (base system has no external amp)
Changed head unit from single-disc non-MP3, to 6-disc with MP3

Also added DAB+ digital radio at the same time.

The Base audio cars are actually pre-wired for the Surround system, except for the center dash speaker, and the parcel shelf. The parcel shelf loom just plugs in, the loom for the dash speaker needs to me made/added.

Pictures;

Attachment 144030

Attachment 144031

Amp fitted.

Attachment 144032

Attachment 144033

Attachment 144034

Attachment 144035

Attachment 144036

Attachment 144037

Installing loom for center speaker, and center speaker itself.

Attachment 144038

Other speakers changed to the B&W yellow Kevlar ones.
Could You Tell me location of center speakers plug? Thanks, from Hungary

Old 02-27-2019, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Ubulka

Could You Tell me location of center speakers plug? Thanks, from Hungary
It behind the side cover plate on the dash facing the door on left drive cars. (US)

Old 02-27-2019, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by harryf
It behind the side cover plate on the dash facing the door on left drive cars. (US)
Great, Thanks.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:50 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Orton
Would love to know if theres anyone who can retro fit my 2009 car with the b&w units? Im In Weybridge, Surrey....
I haven't used these guys, but I came across them through google when looking for info about retrofitting carplay/android auto to my XF:
https://www.cartronics.co.uk/

The easiest solution may be to find a replacement car with the B&W system fitted already, given that they're (relatively) ubiquitous in the UK.

Old 09-27-2019, 10:22 AM
Default List

Hi, I must say the work you have done here is absolutely fantastic. I've just got myself a 2010 Jaguar XF X250 and the sound really needs updating like you've done here. I'm not a car tekky so would you mind just breaking it down for me please with a list of what I would need to do what you've done. I'd really appreciate it mate. Cheers.

Old 11-09-2019, 10:17 AM

Hi Cambo , I have a 2011 jaguar XF 5L V8 , I have a base audio system in my car and I read your thread regarding the upgrade for the audio system. I bought the head unit of Ebay ,7G9N-18C815-TB and the amplifier 6H52-18C808-DD. I need some assistance with programing CCF file . I have access to the engineering mode . does this help

Old 11-10-2019, 11:31 PM

Well it's not my car, I just did the work on it. The owner is happy with the result and doesn't want any aftermarket stuff in it, hence going down the "factory retrofit" route.

Compared to the crappy 80W Base system, the B&W is already a huge step up.
Hi Cambo

I bought all the parts required for my 2011 Jaguar XF 5L V8 base line audio system . Head unit and Amp . I have a problem loading CCF files . in engineering mode it will not allow the option to change from base audio system in active or current car configuration. Am I doing something wrong, Regards Matthew

Old 01-14-2020, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mattpereira
Hi Cambo

I bought all the parts required for my 2011 Jaguar XF 5L V8 base line audio system . Head unit and Amp . I have a problem loading CCF files . in engineering mode it will not allow the option to change from base audio system in active or current car configuration. Am I doing something wrong, Regards Matthew
​​​​​​Hello mate, have you managed to do the changes in CCF? I'm stuck at this point too. I have all the hardware installed and tried to program the amp and the infotainment module but no results so far. Cheers

Old 01-17-2020, 02:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Max Andrei
​​​​​​Hello mate, have you managed to do the changes in CCF? I'm stuck at this point too. I have all the hardware installed and tried to program the amp and the infotainment module but no results so far. Cheers
I am now stuck at this point too. Nobody seems to want to sat what edits are required.

Old 01-17-2020, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Can't speak to the XF but on the XK I selected the following in CCF I think (car is stored for winter)
GROUP > PARAMETER > VALUE
Radio amp and speaker system> Radio, amp and speaker system > Audio "Premium sound" 5x130 watts 12 speakers (and there aren't 12 speakers but this was the selection I made)

Center Speaker > Center Speaker Dashboard> Small center speaker

Subwoofer> subwoofer> subwoofer

Old 01-17-2020, 03:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a great help thank you Gives me somewhere to start.

Quick Reply: 2008-2011 B&W Surround Retrofit from Base audio