XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2009 xf key fob replacement help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 10:41 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kry4
the dealership is still telling me i need a new module if the car is armed and locked out. Is this true??? I mean typically one would arm their car immediately if they are walking away from the vehicle.
only if the car was broken into when armed is this the issue. So your dog chewed but have you opened the door with the spare key in the remote, and the remote may not work passivly but may still be working by holding to the reader and starting

Old 01-11-2019, 06:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another update!

An experienced local locksmith was able to program my 2 replacement keys to my car! **** the dealership!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by 2kry4:
Cambo (01-11-2019), thistle4celtic1 (04-22-2021)
Old 01-11-2019, 06:25 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Glad to hear it's worked out for you!

Old 01-11-2019, 06:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2kry4
An experienced local locksmith was able to program my 2 replacement keys to my car! **** the dealership!!!
Good news. I'll start working on my relacemt key next week and report back.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:42 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Was in a car accident in my (non-jag) car and my 2011MY XF key fob was ejected from my set of keys in ignition and broke into many pieces.
I just got back from the wreckers where I retrieved pretty much all the bit 'n' pieces and put it back together (minus the chrome strips on either side) with glue and rubber bands, a la Humpty Dumpty.
All the buttons seem to "click" as they should. I replaced the battery as the fob sat for three days in pieces. The (-ve) tab is in the right spot/slot to make contact with battery.

Car doesn't respond to any of the five buttons when I push them, so I had to use metal key to get into car.
Of course, the alarm sounds right away (for 20secs or so) as the car can't see the fob...as per message on dash..."Smart Key Not Found".
I haven't tried putting the fob in the slot below steering wheel to see if it recognises it that way. Guess I'm not sure if I'll be able to get it back out of slot.

Anyway I guess my question is: Since the fob sat in pieces for days, is there something that has to be done to "remarry" the fob to vehicle?
...and if not, does anyone have any other suggestions before I look into getting TWO new key fobs made.?

Thanks for any help

Old 04-23-2021, 10:23 AM
Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Glad it worked out for you, i had 1 key when i got my car, i boght one of aliexpress for 40 bucks and a obdstar h100, programmer for 80 bucks on AliExpress too.

That thing worked like a charm programmed my key in less than 1 minute, very easy to use instructions on screen.

Although I had 1 key already it has an option for program from cero keys, wasn't able to test it but it should work.

Old 04-23-2021, 01:32 PM

Hmm....I think I will invest in that same package deal that you got from Alibaba.

FWIW....The car "sees" the fob when it's docked (and car will start), just not when the fob is used as standalone.
So, for now, I can't lock the lock unless I want to use the metal key every time I want to unlock door.

Old 04-23-2021, 02:07 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by thistle4celtic1
Hmm....I think I will invest in that same package deal that you got from Alibaba.
If you've not seen it, Carlos linked a video on the OBDStar in the below post. That worked beautifully when I needed to program one new key, as mine only came with 1. (NB: I used a jag key, not a knock off - $454.86 for a cut emergency key and fob.)

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...0/#post2302560

The following users liked this post:
thistle4celtic1 (04-23-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 05:23 AM
Received 193 Likes on 144 Posts

Was in a car accident in my (non-jag) car and my 2011MY XF key fob was ejected from my set of keys in ignition and broke into many pieces.
I just got back from the wreckers where I retrieved pretty much all the bit 'n' pieces and put it back together (minus the chrome strips on either side) with glue and rubber bands, a la Humpty Dumpty.
All the buttons seem to "click" as they should. I replaced the battery as the fob sat for three days in pieces. The (-ve) tab is in the right spot/slot to make contact with battery.

Car doesn't respond to any of the five buttons when I push them, so I had to use metal key to get into car.
Of course, the alarm sounds right away (for 20secs or so) as the car can't see the fob...as per message on dash..."Smart Key Not Found".
I haven't tried putting the fob in the slot below steering wheel to see if it recognises it that way. Guess I'm not sure if I'll be able to get it back out of slot.

Anyway I guess my question is: Since the fob sat in pieces for days, is there something that has to be done to "remarry" the fob to vehicle?
...and if not, does anyone have any other suggestions before I look into getting TWO new key fobs made.?

Thanks for any help
Cases are readily available on Ebay Amazon etc and used units are reprogrammable. Probably need a new battery.

thistle4celtic1 (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 07:32 AM

Thanks Carlos, bealz and kansanbrit.

Key fob is still held together by rubber bands until the new cases I ordered get here,
I put a new battery in and took special care to make sure the tab on circuit board is contacting battery.
Weird thing is the fob still won't work by itself, but luckily it does when docked, so I can still start and drive the car in the meantime.
Just won't lock it as the fob won't unlock the doors.

Old 04-27-2021, 12:15 PM

Go to O'reilly, they have a little tester to see if it is transmitting when you push a button.

Old 04-27-2021, 12:16 PM

Go to O'reilly, they have a little tester to see if it is transmitting when you push a button. It works in the slot because it detects a chip there so a dead fob battery doesn't stop you driving. Have you checked fob battery voltage?

Old 04-27-2021, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by kansanbrit
Go to O'reilly, they have a little tester to see if it is transmitting when you push a button. It works in the slot because it detects a chip there so a dead fob battery doesn't stop you driving. Have you checked fob battery voltage?
I checked the voltage of the new battery I put in and it's good. I'll take your advice and drop by O'Reillys

Old 05-11-2021, 09:38 AM

Cases are readily available on Ebay Amazon etc and used units are reprogrammable. Probably need a new battery.
Thanks KB. Above bolded by me...., ...can anyone else confirm this?

Still waiting on the OBDSTAR 100 to arrive from China.
Out of curiosity I called the closest Jaguar dealership and they quoted $405 for the genuine Jag key fob and $185 to program it.
Technician did ask if the car started when "docked", as he did say it gets way more expensive with no good fob to start with.

Any suggestions as to what's the better choice for a key fob to program. New knock-offs on EBay run around $55, whereas used genuine fobs go for $75.
Maybe I'll buy one of each?

Old 05-11-2021, 10:01 AM

I got the original and a copy i got from AliExpress.
So far the knock off works perfectly, it's the one i programmed with the odd star h100.

thistle4celtic1 (05-11-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 386 Posts

I had heard that used fobs couldn't be rekeyed to another vehicle. But maybe that's just by the dealer
I wouldn't get a knock off. Way too much hassle if you have an issue and get stranded somewhere...

thistle4celtic1 (05-11-2021)
Old 05-12-2021, 03:48 AM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Correct, used 09-12 fobs cannot be re-programmed, good that there is a reasonably priced aftermarket option now.

If any of you are finished with the Obdstar H100, maybe we can split the cost of the thing if you forward it to me. Seeing as its something used just once it would lower the replacement cost even more to pass it along.

Old 05-13-2021, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by litteredwithfaults
Correct, used 09-12 fobs cannot be re-programmed, good that there is a reasonably priced aftermarket option now.
Oh yes they can, I do it all the time. Range Rover and Jaguar.

thistle4celtic1 (05-13-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 08:22 AM

Oh yes they can, I do it all the time. Range Rover and Jaguar.

I thought they might be as the ones offered on EBay suggest they're ready to be reprogrammed.
Surely they're not being sold as paperweights.

I ordered one of each (a genuine used and a knock off) and will report the outcome after they and the OBDSTAR100 arrive.

Old 05-13-2021, 09:17 AM

I thought they might be as the ones offered on EBay suggest they're ready to be reprogrammed.
Surely they're not being sold as paperweights.

I ordered one of each (a genuine used and a knock off) and will report the outcome after they and the OBDSTAR100 arrive.
I believe it will work well, obdstar h100 has an option to erase keys, make them blank.

Make sure your fob is transmitting, as suggested earlier, the device must be able to communicate. If it's not picking up the battery check the contacts, you might have to resolder, it's farely easy.

Last note there's a part where the obdstar 100 asks for, immobilize/fob type. I used type 1.

thistle4celtic1 (05-13-2021)

Quick Reply: 2009 xf key fob replacement help!!!