XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2009 xf key fob replacement help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 12:30 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2009 xf key fob replacement help!!!

Hi,

I was only given 1 key fob when I purchased my car and was promised a 2nd key but never received after multiple attempts asking for it in 2011. Fast forward to today, I got a new dog and she chewed up my key fob! I called the dealer asking for my 2nd key as they promised and I forward all my communication with no response. The GM says I would need to replace the module ($1400) purchase a new key chip to program with the module ($700)! This sounds ridiculous to me. Can anyone confirm if a new module and chip is needed? My understanding is I could purchase a key fob tow my car there and get the new key programmed. I feel like they’re taking adavantage of me since they drippped the ball on giving me my 2nd key! Please help! Single mother of 2 and I am not financially stable to pay $2100 to replace a key as I was back in 2011!

Old 01-10-2019, 01:34 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

There is no need to replace the Keyless module on a 2009MY XF, that only applies to newer models, like 2013 onward. So the dealer is talking nonsense!

When programming keys to these cars a minimum of two is needed, so if you have no keys, then you will have to buy two.

The part number for the complete key fob is C2P17155, that is the 315MHz version, for the US market. They are maybe $275 each.

I presume you still have the old one, even though it's chewed up, so the metal key blade is still available? The one for opening the trunk in an emergency... so you can get a copy of that cut by any half decent locksmith, the blanks are on eBay for $10

These fobs can only be programmed by a JLR dealer, or someone who has the right programming tool, so you might be stuck with the dealer there, but I would be asking a different dealer, or talking directly to the service manager about why his employees are quoting nonsense to customers!

The following users liked this post:
bfarrell (02-08-2023)
Old 01-10-2019, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Cambo
There is no need to replace the Keyless module on a 2009MY XF, that only applies to newer models, like 2013 onward. So the dealer is talking nonsense!

When programming keys to these cars a minimum of two is needed, so if you have no keys, then you will have to buy two.

The part number for the complete key fob is C2P17155, that is the 315MHz version, for the US market. They are maybe $275 each.

I presume you still have the old one, even though it's chewed up, so the metal key blade is still available? The one for opening the trunk in an emergency... so you can get a copy of that cut by any half decent locksmith, the blanks are on eBay for $10

These fobs can only be programmed by a JLR dealer, or someone who has the right programming tool, so you might be stuck with the dealer there, but I would be asking a different dealer, or talking directly to the service manager about why his employees are quoting nonsense to customers!
Hi! Thanks for responding, I’ve researched all night and didn’t think it was necessary. This was coming from the general manager. I will definitely purchase two keys elsewhere and have another dealer program. Thanks, again!

Old 01-10-2019, 03:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great information

I have a follow up question. I have a 2013. I only received one key. The dealer wants over $700. What are my options? Id also rather not buy a factory remote for $250 if I don't have to. There are remotes for XFs for sale for around $50-100 on line. I understand the risks. I've read posts where an aftermarket remote wouldn't work. And some that did. Do you know if it's possible to have a good chance of getting a $50 remote on line and getting a locksmith to program it for me? Or am I just asking for trouble?

Even the cost of buying a factory remote and hopefully finding a locksmith to program it is expensive at about $350 total. Im looking for another option.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

2kry4,
How badly did your dog chew the fob?
There is a good chance that it's only exterior/case damage (which prevents the button presses from working) and the internals are perfectly OK. It's a piece of cake to take the fob apart and replace the external bits with new pieces - the rubber face piece with the buttons and the two chrome plated side caps, I refurbished all four fobs on my old XFS and XFR this way.
Plenty of sellers of these kits on Fleabay and they don't cost much.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:31 PM

The security / central locking system is totally different on the 2009MY-2012MY XF, and the 2013MY-onward XF.

The fob on the left is the one for the XF up to 2012MY, and the XK, the one on the right is for the 2013MY-onward, as well as other cars like the F-Type & various Land Rovers.

You cannot buy aftermarket key fobs for the pre-2013 cars, well I never found one. I also never came across any aftermarket key programmer that will do the pre-2013 XF (or the XK).
The security of the earlier cars is much better than the newer ones, ironically...

The 2013-onward system is well known in the aftermarket. You can buy aftermarket fobs. There are aftermarket programmers which will program keys.

In 2014 there was a literal crime wave in the UK of people stealing Range Rovers, the thieves would just program a new key to the car and drive it away.

JLR's response to this was to make the KVM (Keyless Entry Module / Security Module, also called RFA or Remote Function Actuator) a read-only unit on new cars delivered from March 2015, so that no-one could program new keys to the module, the module would have to be replaced with a blank one in order to program keys. There is a bulletin about this, SSM73234

This doesn't apply to pre-2015 cars (2013/2014), unless the car was taken to the dealer and the KVM/RFA was replaced with the newer version for some reason.
But the aftermarket responded to this and developed new tools to bypass this "read-only" programming in the newer cars, and it's an ongoing game of cat & mouse.

Long story short, if you have a 2013-2014 model, then an automotive locksmith can probably program an aftermarket key to the car. If you go down that road I suggest that you get them to supply the keyfob as well as do the programming, then the liability is completely on them. If you buy a keyfob from eBay and the programming fails, then the locksmith can blame the fob you supplied. If they supply the fob, then it's their problem.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:25 PM

The security / central locking system is totally different on the 2009MY-2012MY XF, and the 2013MY-onward XF.

The fob on the left is the one for the XF up to 2012MY, and the XK, the one on the right is for the 2013MY-onward, as well as other cars like the F-Type & various Land Rovers.

You cannot buy aftermarket key fobs for the pre-2013 cars, well I never found one. I also never came across any aftermarket key programmer that will do the pre-2013 XF (or the XK).
The security of the earlier cars is much better than the newer ones, ironically...

The 2013-onward system is well known in the aftermarket. You can buy aftermarket fobs. There are aftermarket programmers which will program keys.

In 2014 there was a literal crime wave in the UK of people stealing Range Rovers, the thieves would just program a new key to the car and drive it away.

JLR's response to this was to make the KVM (Keyless Entry Module / Security Module, also called RFA or Remote Function Actuator) a read-only unit on new cars delivered from March 2015, so that no-one could program new keys to the module, the module would have to be replaced with a blank one in order to program keys. There is a bulletin about this, SSM73234

This doesn't apply to pre-2015 cars (2013/2014), unless the car was taken to the dealer and the KVM/RFA was replaced with the newer version for some reason.
But the aftermarket responded to this and developed new tools to bypass this "read-only" programming in the newer cars, and it's an ongoing game of cat & mouse.

Long story short, if you have a 2013-2014 model, then an automotive locksmith can probably program an aftermarket key to the car. If you go down that road I suggest that you get them to supply the keyfob as well as do the programming, then the liability is completely on them. If you buy a keyfob from eBay and the programming fails, then the locksmith can blame the fob you supplied. If they supply the fob, then it's their problem.
Great. Thanks. I actually called a few locksmiths last week. Only one said they can do it(out of 4). The lady on the phone said the same thing that if it doesn't program, they will blame it on the FOB. But if course they want $250 for their FOB and $75 to program it. But that's likely my best option.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 242 Posts

Huh? I purchased 2 aftermarket key fobs, and had a non-dealer program them for both my 2011 XF's, so slow donwn there partner with your cannot's.

Last edited by lotusespritse; 01-10-2019 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 2kry4
Please help! Single mother of 2 and I am not financially stable to pay $2100 to replace a key as I was back in 2011!
You might want to consider selling your car. A 10 year old Jaguar is a ticking time bomb for expensive repairs bills for those that don't do their own car repairs. Premium cars come with premium repair bills, premium maintenance costs, premium fuel costs, and premium insurance costs.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
Huh? I purchased 2 aftermarket key fobs, and had a non-dealer program them for both my 2011 XF's, so slow don't there partner with your cannot's.
Well you might want to share where you got them from because there weren't any to be found online, or through the locksmith suppliers I contacted the last time I needed to do a keyfob for someone...

But now that you mention it i have just found a China-seller on eBay who has them, but his asking price is more expensive than what I pay for genuine fobs, so why risk it?

As for the programming, did you ever try your "new" fobs in the slot under the steering column?

Unless the locksmith used the SDD diagnostic tool (even a cloned one) then your new fobs may work as remotes, but I bet the RFID chip in them was never programmed.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:12 PM

Well you might want to share where you got them from because there weren't any to be found online, or through the locksmith suppliers I contacted the last time I needed to do a keyfob for someone...

But now that you mention it i have just found a China-seller on eBay who has them, but his asking price is more expensive than what I pay for genuine fobs, so why risk it?

As for the programming, did you ever try your "new" fobs in the slot under the steering column?

Unless the locksmith used the SDD diagnostic tool (even a cloned one) then your new fobs may work as remotes, but I bet the RFID chip in them was never programmed.
What does the last paragraph mean? Not sure what RFID is and what does putting the key in the slot under the steering column mean? I didn't even know there was one there. What does the slot do or what is in used for? This is my first Jaguar. I feel weird that I've been missing out on some cool slot/feature for the month I've owned my car.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brian83i3
What does the last paragraph mean? Not sure what RFID is and what does putting the key in the slot under the steering column mean? I didn't even know there was one there. What does the slot do or what is in used for? This is my first Jaguar. I feel weird that I've been missing out on some cool slot/feature for the month I've owned my car.
RFID = Radio Frequency IdentiFication.
It's how the fob and the car communicate with each other electronically.
You should have a rectangular slot under and to the side of the steering column, you insert the key fob in it to start the car when the fob battery is flat.
That is the only function of the slot so sorry no cool feature(s)!
All this should be in your Owner's Handbook, or maybe you never got one?
If so you can download a PDF copy from the interwebz.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
RFID = Radio Frequency IdentiFication.
It's how the fob and the car communicate with each other electronically.
You should have a rectangular slot under and to the side of the steering column, you insert the key fob in it to start the car when the fob battery is flat.
That is the only function of the slot so sorry no cool feature(s)!
All this should be in your Owner's Handbook, or maybe you never got one?
If so you can download a PDF copy from the interwebz.
Brian,
Here's a copy of page 76 of the Owner's Handbook (2012 on LHD version):

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
XF key fob docking.pdf (102.8 KB, 219 views)
Old 01-10-2019, 10:01 PM

The keyfob has a transmitter (that broadcasts via radio frequency) and a transponder chip which is read by the slot in the 2009-2012MY cars.

The idea behind this is if the battery is flat in the keyfob, you can still start the car by putting the fob into the slot.

The 2013MY-onward cars have a reader behind a plastic panel near the steering column that you have to hold the fob against at it can be read.

You might have seen the message once "Smart Key Not Found Please Insert In Slot"

On the later cars it says "Smart Key Not Found See Handbook" or on some models it shows you a picture of where to position the fob in order for it to be read.

So the key fob programming is done in two steps, first the transmitter, then the internal transponder. It's the internal transponder part that is a problem for programming.

This is the reason why 2nd hand keys are "orphaned" and cannot be fully programmed to a different car, yes the transmitter part can usually be programmed, but the transponder cannot (there's that word again).

Old 01-10-2019, 11:31 PM
Veteran Member

At the time, there were about $100 cheaper than the factory fobs.

Mine do work in the slot. The non-dealer shop (not a locksmith) was very particular about getting that feature to work.

Cambo (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
2kry4,
How badly did your dog chew the fob?
There is a good chance that it's only exterior/case damage (which prevents the button presses from working) and the internals are perfectly OK. It's a piece of cake to take the fob apart and replace the external bits with new pieces - the rubber face piece with the buttons and the two chrome plated side caps, I refurbished all four fobs on my old XFS and XFR this way.
Plenty of sellers of these kits on Fleabay and they don't cost much.
Hi! Yes,
ive already tried that and took a look at the board and it was damaged. 😔

Old 01-11-2019, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
You might want to consider selling your car. A 10 year old Jaguar is a ticking time bomb for expensive repairs bills for those that don't do their own car repairs. Premium cars come with premium repair bills, premium maintenance costs, premium fuel costs, and premium insurance costs.
Yes, I am well aware of having a premium car comes with premium expenses. I have had my car the entire 10 years and love it, maintain it as I should for a premium car. Haven’t had any issues with the vehicle, I’M JUST NOT OK WITH BEING BAMBOOZLED BY A DECEITFUL DEALER! This is my second purchase at this location and HAVE my services and repairs there! Being a loyal customer you would assist me with a cheaper alternative and not sell me a whole ****ing module!

Last edited by 2kry4; 01-11-2019 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Typo
thistle4celtic1 (04-22-2021)
Old 01-11-2019, 08:59 AM
Default Update

I ordered 2 key fobs from a Jag dealer off eBay $294 a piece. Now to get it programmed!

Old 01-11-2019, 09:10 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

I can tell you that through jaguar software you can be locked into issues like kvm and multiple key purchases on different years and models. You can get a good automotive mobile locksmith that can come to you and has the software to do programming without issue in most cases and uses software that is not so restricted as most car manufacturers use. Since they have to be bonded and the software to almost all automotive dealers is very restricted since there is wide unregulated use by many different people. Its just the industry as a whole not specific to jaguar or land rover alone. Welcome to the world of keyless entry and starting..

Old 01-11-2019, 10:07 AM

The dealership is still telling me I need a new module if the car is armed and locked out. Is this true??? I mean typically one would arm their car immediately if they are walking away from the vehicle.

Quick Reply: 2009 xf key fob replacement help!!!