XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2010 XF Oil Change 5.0L

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 11:13 AM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If videos are simpler for you to follow, this guys explains it very well - resetting the service (make sure nothing is connected to the OBDII port).

The following users liked this post:
XJL (05-26-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 10:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the video. So do I need to put my skinny tube down the oil extraction tube to suck out the oil?

Old 03-10-2019, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by pnguy28
Thanks for the video. So do I need to put my skinny tube down the oil extraction tube to suck out the oil?
No.
You put the skinny tube either inside or outside the car's oil extraction tube, whichever way makes an airtight vacuum seal, and it goes down (or over) one or two cm at most.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
No.
You put the skinny tube either inside or outside the car's oil extraction tube, whichever way makes an airtight vacuum seal, and it goes down (or over) one or two cm at most.

if I have to put the skinny tube inside the extraction tube, how far down do I have to put it? Just 1 or 2 cm? If so it doesn’t seem like a lot.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member

if I have to put the skinny tube inside the extraction tube, how far down do I have to put it? Just 1 or 2 cm? If so it doesn’t seem like a lot.
Yep, 1 or 2 cm.
Try it, I bet you can't push it in any further than 3 or 4 cm anyway.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:34 PM

Well, I just tried with the hand pump I have and it did not work. The big tube is too big and when insert over on top of the extraction tube, it isn't tight enough to create a suction. The small black tube I have is about the same size as the extraction tube itself, so I cannot insert over it or into it as well.

Can anyone recommend a multiuse pump that I can use not just for oil changes but brake system, transmission, etc.? And not too expensive?

Old 03-14-2019, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I just tried with the hand pump I have and it did not work. The big tube is too big and when insert over on top of the extraction tube, it isn't tight enough to create a suction. The small black tube I have is about the same size as the extraction tube itself, so I cannot insert over it or into it as well.

Can anyone recommend a multiuse pump that I can use not just for oil changes but brake system, transmission, etc.? And not too expensive?
I have worked out that a length of plastic hose with an internal diameter of exactly 8 mm fits perfectly over the car's extraction tube. You can buy clear plastic hose of that size from most hardware stores for cheap. Now whether you can get the other end to fit your pump is another question!

Old 03-14-2019, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Yep, 1 or 2 cm.
Try it, I bet you can't push it in any further than 3 or 4 cm anyway.
In the workshop manual it shows an "adapter" that fits over the top of the oil filler tube and then you connect to the adapter.

However I used one of the tubes that came with the large extractor pump that I have and it was a tight fit inside the oil filler tube but I was able to push it all the way down without a problem. I used a wire to measure the depth of the tube to make sure I was going all the way down.

Very easy to see precisely how much oil is extracted using the marks on the transparent pump housing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Fluid-E...sAAOSwMuBcgzQT
The above is the one I use on all my vehicles and boat.

Last edited by jackra_1; 03-14-2019 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jackra_1
In the workshop manual it shows an "adapter" that fits over the top of the oil filler tube and then you connect to the adapter.

However I used one of the tubes that came with the large extractor pump that I have and it was a tight fit inside the oil filler tube but I was able to push it all the way down without a problem. I used a wire to measure the depth of the tube to make sure I was going all the way down.

Very easy to see precisely how much oil is extracted using the marks on the transparent pump housing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Fluid-E...sAAOSwMuBcgzQT
The above is the one I use on all my vehicles and boat.
John, which of your cars are you talking about?
If it's the XJR then that engine has a completely different set-up to the AJ133 5.0 V8.
Yours has a dipstick and dipstick tube, and I'm guessing you are poking the extractor pump tube down that dipstick tube.
No dipstick or dipstick tube in the AJ133, instead it has an oil extraction/vacuum tube in the middle of the oil filler opening, and that tube has so many twists and bends it is impossible to poke anything down it more that a few cm, let alone anywhere near the bottom of it into the sump.
Also, I would be careful with the pump you link to, it looks identical to the one I bought a few months ago.
Long story short on the one I bought the marks on the transparent housing which show the volume of fluid pumped out are completely wrong and very optimistic, such that when full to the brim and reading 7.25 litres it's really only 6.5 litres. I suggest you check yours for accuracy like I did by pouring carefully measured amounts of water into it (1 or 2 litres at a time) and seeing what it reads.

Old 03-16-2019, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

OzXFR I stand corrected.

Just went out to check again, on the Rover.

The tube I used will go down quite a way, much more than a few centimeters, but not all the way as I thought.

I got away with it tho because it was such a tight fit. Once a vacuum was established by the pump oil was sucked up and sealed whatever very slight air gap there was and I was able to get all the oil out that the OEM tube allowed.

My handbook says the oil capacity is 8 litres. I got about 7.5 litres out, plus a little in the oil filter, and refilled with the same amount.

I actually performed this procedure three times within 500 miles. I checked the electronic gauge frequently and it always looked "full".

Why did I make three oil changes? Well I had what I thought was a tappet noise so I used Rislone in the oil to "clean" components.

The noise is actually significantly reduced and I would not really notice it if I was not aware already of the issue. It was never loud enough to hear in the cabin only when standing outside by the left rear of the engine.

Anyway I need to get that adapter as it will make pumping up a wider tube a bit easier.

Any idea where I can get one?OK found one for GBP £17.87. Will search some more.

The Jaguar dip stick tube is easy to navigate but I still drain remnants of oil using the sump plug.

Last edited by jackra_1; 03-16-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 XF Oil Change 5 0L

OMG. that last picture of the 4k trans oil change = ridiculous

thank god that isnt my car