XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2010 XFR Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 10:45 PM
Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts
Default 2010 XFR Brake Pads

Have a periodic warning that my brake pads require replacement...

1. How the heck does the car know?

2. Don't want to pay dealer prices... I assume the job is fairly straightforward and would like to do it myself. Best place to get a service manual?

Cheers,

- Will

Old 03-10-2013, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...job-how-85582/

Thank forum member ebodernig for the above "how to" that can be found in the sticky notes section at the beginning of the forum.

I believe the car has a sensor at the brake pad that is activated when the pads get low, but the experts here can give definitive answer.

The following users liked this post:
macboots (03-10-2013)
Old 03-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

From 2010 on there are supposed to be pad wear sensors on at least the rear pads. I'm told there's one on a front pad and one on a rear pad, but I don't know that.

My 09 does not have pad wear sensors, at least not on the rear pads. Rear pads and discs wear rapidly, around 20,000 miles is considered good. Front pads last twice as long or more.

It is advisable to replace the pad wear sensors as they tend to be damaged either by the pad wear or when replacing pads. Nothing quite as annoying as a faulty pad wear sensor.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:56 AM

That's an awesome write up...

I've found a few sources for the rear pad wear sensor, but none for the front. Are they identical?

Cheers,

- Will

Last edited by macboots; 03-10-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member

There may not be pad wear sensors on the front pads. When you look at the calipers there should be a wire attached to the inside pad, or it will look like one is, I believe the sensor fits into the pad somehow and is a removable part with wire attached.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

driver front and passenger rear has the sensors, if reusing them be very careful to handle them and look closly at their orientation.
Another solution that others have done is to simply twist the 2 wires from the sensors together to clear the message for good. This will not give you a warning in the future though.

ebodernig is a very nice and knowledgeful person and his write up is spot on!! I thanked him many times for all his input!

Old 03-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, the "thanks" from my post should go ebodernig. He did some serious work posting that how to.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:29 AM
Received 308 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Brakes and Pad Sensors

Regarding your questions. The front and rear sensors are not the same. They cost about $70.00 each. At about the 30 K miles seems to be around the change point. Unlike Pre-Traction Control vehicles the rears appear to wear about the same rate as the front. So if you replace the pads before the sensor sends the warning you can reuse the sensor. Once the sensor sends the warning it must me be replaced to stop the warning.

It is possible to disable the sensor by removing it from the pads before it wears out and wire-tie it up. Additionally if it wears out it basically leaves an "Open Circuit" which causes the warning message. Big Cat was able to "Bridge" the sensor by inserting a small piece of wire in the socket the senor harness plugs into. You may also cut off the worn sensor, then strip the wires back and connect them together and cover them. Disabling the system requires your periodic inspection.

Personally I have owned cars for years without a pad warning system and relied on mileage, pedal feel, regular inspection and sound. I would recommend ceramic pads because of the lower noticeable dust and replacing the pads, even the rotors if required, before the sensor wears out.. As the other guys suggested read my write up in FAQ.

The following 2 users liked this post by edobernig:
jaguny (03-12-2013), macboots (03-13-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 11:48 AM

Ed -

I read your excellent write up. My local dealer wants $125 for each sensor, but was able to find them online through one of the vendors on this site for $62 a piece... Can anyone confirm that C2P12722 and C2D2976 are the correct part numbers?

I am a bit perplexed because the alert started going off last week, but does not come on consistently and I haven't seen it come in on the last several days driving the car 10 miles to and from work.

Plan on taking the wheels off Saturday to see what's going on in there, and replacing the pads with ceramic pads in any case as the brake dust buildup is ridiculous.

Cheers,

- Will

Last edited by macboots; 03-12-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member

On other cars I've owned the pad wires sometimes break inside the insulation, invisible but producing an intermittent fault light because the open circuit illuminates the warning lamp. Worth checking the wires for continuity if the pads look ok.

The following users liked this post:
macboots (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by macboots
Ed -

I read your excellent write up. My local dealer wants $125 for each sensor, but was able to find them online through one of the vendors on this site for $62 a piece... Can anyone confirm that C2P12722 and C2D2976 are the correct part numbers?

I am a bit perplexed because the alert started going off last week, but does not come on consistently and I haven't seen it come in on the last several days driving the car 10 miles to and from work.

Plan on taking the wheels off Saturday to see what's going on in there, and replacing the pads with ceramic pads in any case as the brake dust buildup is ridiculous.

Cheers,

- Will
The Write-up has the links and part numbers I used with excellent results for the money. The sensor starts wearing through gradually which could give you the intermittent signal. I found the sensors for about $72.00: Jaguar XF Brake Pad Sensor - Brake Pad Sensors - Genuine - 2010 2009 10 09 - PartsGeek.com

Please lets us know where you found them for $62.00.

The hardest part is the 9 mm hex head socket which isn't very common. For sure on an XFR or SC you will need it to get the front calipers off. Follow my suggestions and you should not have any problems. Good Luck.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:59 PM

$62 from Gaudin...

Got a 9mm fairly cheap from Amazon ($3 or so I think as an add on shipment)...

Cheers,

- Will

Old 03-14-2013, 11:14 AM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Ed -

... and replacing the pads with ceramic pads in any case as the brake dust buildup is ridiculous.

- Will
Which ceramics have you used? Where'd you buy them?

Old 03-14-2013, 08:29 PM

Have not used any ceramics yet... Ordered from Brakelabs per Ed's recommendation...

A little miffed as they were supposed to arrive yesterday and the USPS tracking number appears invalid. Hopefully get here tomorrow so I can install them this weekend...

Cheers,

- Will

Old 03-15-2013, 11:21 AM

Have not used any ceramics yet... Ordered from Brakelabs per Ed's recommendation...

A little miffed as they were supposed to arrive yesterday and the USPS tracking number appears invalid. Hopefully get here tomorrow so I can install them this weekend...

Cheers,

- Will
Mine came in a Priority Mail Box and I think I remember the tracking works more like proof of delivery. Let me know if you have any problems.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:20 PM

Ed -

They came via UPS yesterday, but they had given me a USPS tracking number with an estimated arrival date of Wednesday... All is good...

Did the rear brakes today and will hit the front tomorrow. All went fairly smoothly. It took me awhile to figure out how to back the brake caliper tool off to remove it once the calipers were retracted, and to figure out exactly what was going on with the brake wear sensor. Ended up moving over to the other wheel, doing that first, and then coming back at which point it was immediately apparent how it was all hooked up.

I followed the EPR recalibration instructions by pulling the fuse with the ignition off. I didn't see any response on the indicators however. It seems to work fine though.

Cheers,

- Will

Old 03-17-2013, 12:47 PM
Default Thanks for the update-glad I could help.

Ed -

They came via UPS yesterday, but they had given me a USPS tracking number with an estimated arrival date of Wednesday... All is good...

Did the rear brakes today and will hit the front tomorrow. All went fairly smoothly. It took me awhile to figure out how to back the brake caliper tool off to remove it once the calipers were retracted, and to figure out exactly what was going on with the brake wear sensor. Ended up moving over to the other wheel, doing that first, and then coming back at which point it was immediately apparent how it was all hooked up.

I followed the EPR recalibration instructions by pulling the fuse with the ignition off. I didn't see any response on the indicators however. It seems to work fine though.

Cheers,

- Will
Will,
Glad to hear everything worked out well so well. The fronts are a snap. I appreciate the comments and tweak the write-up, if I see something that would make it better. The next will be rotors, but the driving I do to wear out these giant things, I don't know how long that's going to take me. Like I said these brakes are HUGE even compared to my Corvettes. I wish it would stop snowing here so I could get it on the road more. Spring's coming,

Green Beer Today. St. Patrick's Day Today is another big drinking fest in Milwaukee. Cheers!

Last edited by edobernig; 03-18-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:07 PM

Thanks again Ed. Did the fronts today.

Everything was smooth until it got to putting the caliper slide bolts back in. Could not get them in by feel, and in fact buggered up the threads on one and gave myself a little scare. Only by turning the steering full towards the wheel I was working on and sticking my head in the wheelwell could I see what was going on and get it to assemble. Fortunately there was plenty of good thread on the one that started in wrong and the slide bolt took full torque.

As many others have noted, the front pads were not nearly as worn as the rear. I would estimate the rear were between 3/4 to 4/5 gone, while the fronts only about 1/2. In any case, glad to have ceramic pads on now, hopefully I won't have nearly as much issue with brake dust!

Cheers,

- Will

Last edited by macboots; 03-18-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member

Macboots, how many miles on your replaced pads did you get?

Old 03-17-2013, 06:35 PM

Jaguny -

No idea really. I bought the car used at 67000 and have only put 4500 on myself.

Ed -

Did an inspection after driving to and from the mall. Apparently I didn't install the rear pad rattle clips properly, because they both fell out on both sides. I don't see a big impact from them not being installed though... it is worth the hassle to track down another set and install them do you think?

Cheers,

- Will

Quick Reply: 2010 XFR Brake Pads