XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2011 Jaguar XFR XKRS Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 09:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Jaguar XFR XKRS Tune?

I've read about people trying to reflash their ECU with the XFRS tune and have found that the 6 speed transmission cars actually need the XKRS tune (identical tune to the XFRS) due to differences in the ECU. Some people have even said they've had this done by the Jag dealer! I was going to call around a couple of the Jaguar dealers in my area to see if they would do it but before I do I have a few questions.
1)How much would it cost to have the ECU reflashed to the XKRS tune?

2)Is the only thing different between the R and RS the tune? Is the drive train the same? I thought I read the RS had a beefed up torque converter but others said both cars are mechanically identical. If I happen to find a Jag dealer that can reflash the ECU, I want to be sure nothing mechanical will be damaged due to the RS having different/stronger parts.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,122 Likes on 2,303 Posts

I had the XKRS tune put on my 2010 XFR.
1. Yes, the XKRS and XFRS tunes are identical, 550 PS.
2. It's not the gearbox as such, it's the ECU. When JLR changed from the 6 speed ZF to the 8 speed ZF on the XFR, and then introduced the XFRS, they also changed from a Denso ECU to a Bosch ECU. The XKRS tune can be loaded to the Denso ECU via the OBD2 port, but not the Bosch ECU and vice versa, ie the XFRS tune can't be loaded to the Denso ECU. That is why you need the XKRS tune for an XFR.
3. No JLR dealer will do it, you need to find a privateer with the XKRS tune and all the correct SDD equipment to do it.
4. A vital prerequisite is to put an H or X pipe in the exhaust system, in place of the central muffler. Besides the tune this is the only engine difference between the XFRS and the XFR.
5. Cost is variable, it is whatever you and the privateer agree on if you can find one ready willing and able to do it.
6. Nothing broke, wore out or was damaged on my XFR as a result of the tune.
Also see from post #10 onwards in this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...esults-147772/

Old 07-23-2017, 10:44 PM

I have already replaced the central muffler with the X pipe. So with this in place the engine should run fine? And you're positive no JLR dealer will do this? My car needs to go in anyways for a passenger airbag recall, and I was hoping they could also put the XKRS tune on while the car was already in the shop.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Evan97
I have already replaced the central muffler with the X pipe. So with this in place the engine should run fine? And you're positive no JLR dealer will do this? My car needs to go in anyways for a passenger airbag recall, and I was hoping they could also put the XKRS tune on while the car was already in the shop.
Mine still ran fine without the H-pipe, but it was well down on power. It turned out that the XKRS tune would not "stick" without the H-pipe (or X-pipe) in place, and the ECU defaulted back to a "safe" overly rich and hence low power tune.
And I'm positive no JLR dealer will do it.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:15 PM

That's what I meant though. The tune worked the way it was supposed to (not down on power) with the H pipe or X pipe in place?

Old 07-23-2017, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
If a JLR dealer won't do it, then where/who can I have the XKRS tune done exactly like the factory setup? And what would be the cost?

Old 07-24-2017, 11:34 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

why is an x pipe vital?

I had the XKRS tune put on my 2010 XFR.
1. Yes, the XKRS and XFRS tunes are identical, 550 PS.
2. It's not the gearbox as such, it's the ECU. When JLR changed from the 6 speed ZF to the 8 speed ZF on the XFR, and then introduced the XFRS, they also changed from a Denso ECU to a Bosch ECU. The XKRS tune can be loaded to the Denso ECU via the OBD2 port, but not the Bosch ECU and vice versa, ie the XFRS tune can't be loaded to the Denso ECU. That is why you need the XKRS tune for an XFR.
3. No JLR dealer will do it, you need to find a privateer with the XKRS tune and all the correct SDD equipment to do it.
4. A vital prerequisite is to put an H or X pipe in the exhaust system, in place of the central muffler. Besides the tune this is the only engine difference between the XFRS and the XFR.
5. Cost is variable, it is whatever you and the privateer agree on if you can find one ready willing and able to do it.
6. Nothing broke, wore out or was damaged on my XFR as a result of the tune.
Also see from post #10 onwards in this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...esults-147772/

Old 07-24-2017, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kaeghl
why is an x pipe vital?
We're not sure, but it has to be something to do with the exhaust scavenging effect of an X (or H) pipe. All we know is that the XKRS tune would not work until I put an H pipe in. All Jags with the factory 550 PS tune (XFRS, XKRS, later XJR, F-Type R) have an X pipe in the system.

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (08-03-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 07:00 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

so to take advantage of the eurocharged tune you would really need an x pipe?

Old 07-24-2017, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kaeghl
so to take advantage of the eurocharged tune you would really need an x pipe?
In a way, yes.
The Eurocharged tune, not being a factory tune, would probably still work without an X pipe, but an X pipe would make it more likely to work and work "better". Maybe no more maximum power, but very likely more "under the curve", especially more torque in the 1,500 to 4,500 rpm range. And that's where we spend much of the time driving our XFRs and SCs, not wringing them out to 6,500 rpm to maximize power.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:43 PM

Do you know any tuners that have the stock XKRS tune? Or one that can match the same power? I would feel safer going with a stock factory tune as I know factory would be reliable.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:13 PM

Well I was calling around different JLR dealers in my area. I found not one, but two dealers that said they would do it! And here's the kicker. They're only going to charge me $155 for it!

Old 07-26-2017, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Evan97
Well I was calling around different JLR dealers in my area. I found not one, but two dealers that said they would do it! And here's the kicker. They're only going to charge me $155 for it!
As the Poms would say, result!
The dealerships over in the good ol' US of A must be a lot more laid back than those in Oz or Blighty, coz there is absolutely no way any of them will do this.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:22 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Just to add some clarity to this "why does it need an x-pipe", the XKR-S has a straight through exhaust from the factory, with an x-pipe in it, you probably have seen the photo's kicking around on the forum. This let's the engine breathe easier.

The only real difference between the factory XKR and XKR-S tunes is a raised torque limiter, which allows the engine to make more power, since it can breathe easier, it makes the power. The tune complements the exhaust.

When it comes to flashing the XKR-S tune into an XFR, the exhaust characteristics are different, the XFR doesn't breathe as well as the XKR-S. Which is why the XKR-S tune with a stock XFR exhaust doesn't have the same gains as in an XKR with the XKR-S exhaust (or an equivalent aftermarket exhaust).

Now, a tuner is going to change more than just a torque limiter (well they should be anyhow) so there are other means of getting power with a non-factory tune, with a stock exhaust.

Don't expect any big improvements flashing the XKR-S tune into an XFR with a stock exhaust...

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (08-03-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo
Just to add some clarity to this "why does it need an x-pipe", the XKR-S has a straight through exhaust from the factory, with an x-pipe in it, you probably have seen the photo's kicking around on the forum. This let's the engine breathe easier.

The only real difference between the factory XKR and XKR-S tunes is a raised torque limiter, which allows the engine to make more power, since it can breathe easier, it makes the power. The tune complements the exhaust.

When it comes to flashing the XKR-S tune into an XFR, the exhaust characteristics are different, the XFR doesn't breathe as well as the XKR-S. Which is why the XKR-S tune with a stock XFR exhaust doesn't have the same gains as in an XKR with the XKR-S exhaust (or an equivalent aftermarket exhaust).

Now, a tuner is going to change more than just a torque limiter (well they should be anyhow) so there are other means of getting power with a non-factory tune, with a stock exhaust.

Don't expect any big improvements flashing the XKR-S tune into an XFR with a stock exhaust...
I looked at what Jaguar did with the XFRS and followed the same route. I cut out the first central muffler and put an X pipe in place which is where it is mounted in the XFRS. I also changed out the mufflers in the back for Magnaflow straight through mufflers. Only part left in the exhaust, is the resonator which I left in to reduce drone and I'm glad I did because my car is plenty loud and still has slight drone at 2,000RPM. With that exhaust mod done, however, wouldn't the XKRS tune work as it should?

Old 04-03-2019, 08:33 PM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

hi Midwest gents! im in Wisconsin and have been talking with Mike at Eurotoys in Elgin. Any of you dealt with them or know someone who did? Think I want to got with the stage 2 crank pulley and tune on my 2010 xfr. I have a mina intake k and n filters and the center section of my exhaust removed with a x pipe. they say 620 at the crank? like the thought that they are down the road for me