XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2012 Jaguar XF mass air flo sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 02:31 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2012 Jaguar XF mass air flo sensor

I have a 2012 Jaguar XF with around 81k mikes on it and I had a check engine light came on. I went and got the code read and it’s for the mass air flow sensors which are both located by the air filters. I went online and saw the OEM sensors are $450 a piece ($900 total) but also found after market sensors from a website called Eurostar for $154 a piece ($308 total) was curious if anyone else had this issue and how they went about solving it or know is this is a reputable website, thank you!

The following users liked this post:
Geoff_C (03-08-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 03:11 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Spray them with MAF cleaner?

Old 03-06-2020, 03:57 PM

Yeah that was one of the first thing I did, went to autozone and grabbed a cleaner, sprayed them down and let them air dry for about 15 minutes before putting them back on. Might retry. The check engine light doesn’t stay on just comes and goes for the last week

Geoff_C (03-08-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 07:46 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

I had a dodgy MAF sensor at about 100K. After a lot of research I worked out that the sensors are made by DENSO, the hard part was working out which DENSO sensor it was. I then got both sensors for a total of £150, which is about $200.

Which engine do you have?

Geoff_C (03-08-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by fivel
I had a dodgy MAF sensor at about 100K. After a lot of research I worked out that the sensors are made by DENSO, the hard part was working out which DENSO sensor it was. I then got both sensors for a total of £150, which is about $200.

Which engine do you have?
it’s a 5 liter v8, no supercharger. I believe the actually engine name is the coyote. I’m assuming that solved the problem after replacing both of them?

Old 03-07-2020, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

The Coyote is a Mustang engine that (sadly) shares nothing with the 5.0 V8 in your XF.

The Denso replacement to the MAF sensors on the 5.0 XF engine (NA and SC) is Denso DMA-0103, available for around $170ish each.

The following 2 users liked this post by davetibbs:
Geoff_C (03-08-2020), Thonnawan (03-14-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Shawnlee
it’s a 5 liter v8, no supercharger. I believe the actually engine name is the coyote. I’m assuming that solved the problem after replacing both of them?
Yes it fixed it, and a rough idle on startup when cold before the engine went closed loop. Mine is the 4.2 SC, and used the Denso DMA-0103, seems to be the same one davetibbs says it should be for yours. You can hunt around for suppliers on the internet to get a good price. Also check eBay, as it might even be cheaper to have them shipped from the UK or Germany.

Geoff_C (03-08-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 06:32 PM

Yes it fixed it, and a rough idle on startup when cold before the engine went closed loop. Mine is the 4.2 SC, and used the Denso DMA-0103, seems to be the same one davetibbs says it should be for yours. You can hunt around for suppliers on the internet to get a good price. Also check eBay, as it might even be cheaper to have them shipped from the UK or Germany.

that’s awesome to hear, mine also has a rough idle start in the winter and I kept checking the battery to see if it was dying but always had a good charge. Finding a lot on eBay thank you very much, will update if it solves the problem!

Old 03-07-2020, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by davetibbs
The Coyote is a Mustang engine that (sadly) shares nothing with the 5.0 V8 in your XF.

The Denso replacement to the MAF sensors on the 5.0 XF engine (NA and SC) is Denso DMA-0103, available for around $170ish each.
yeah i know it was a mustang engine and thought tata had an engine deal with ford till 2019, the sensor on the car actually say FoMoCo even tho they sold it in 2009 I believe. Thank you very much for the info tho was able to the find the sensor immediately!

Last edited by Shawnlee; 03-07-2020 at 07:07 PM.
Geoff_C (03-08-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 07:31 AM

that’s awesome to hear, mine also has a rough idle start in the winter and I kept checking the battery to see if it was dying but always had a good charge. Finding a lot on eBay thank you very much, will update if it solves the problem!
If you have a faulty MAF then the ECU doesn't have accurate information to get the fuel/air correct when in open loop. This tends to give a rough idle when it's cold (e.g. after standing overnight in winter) as the air density is greater and it isn't correctly compensating by adding the right amount of fuel. Usually this goes away after a minute or two once the O2 sensors warm up and the system goes closed loop as it uses the exhaust output to adjust the fuel input.

A thing to watch out for is damaging the cats as it might be throwing out unburnt fuel when it's open loop and this can destroy them.

Old 03-08-2020, 07:54 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Alternative cleaner

I have always used this product for cleaning my MAF sensors. It's cheap and can be used for lots of other purposes. The first time I tried it was because I already had a can in the garage and the engine was showing all the symptoms of dirty sensors so I thought, what have I got to lose.

The difference in the engine performance afterwards was nothing short of amazing.

Old 03-10-2020, 05:30 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the car serviced today including the following: Total cost was $252.00 AUD I thought to have it done now as its a second-hand car with 104,842 klms. on it. Even though it has been one owner and all services being done by Jaguar dealerships, it was better to start my own records and peace of mind. I had the A/C Compressor replaced under warranty about a week ago. I did my own Air filter and Cabin pollen filter last week. I had the front and rear bumpers painted to rid the scratches from the previous owner had done. The cars looking great along with performing so much better with no more lag from the accelerator. EPA WASTE DISPOSAL FILTER FUEL RYCO {TRADE} FILTER OIL RYCO {TRADE} OIL ENVIRO + C1 {TRADE}

JAGUAR XF X250 2.2L AJ4D DIESEL

VEHICLE CONDITION REPORT:

1- CHECK AND ADJUST BRAKES,
2- CHECK TYRE CONDITION AND PRESSURE
3- CHECK SUSPENSION, BUSHES, JOINTS AND SHOCKS
4- CHECK ENGINE OIL LEAKS,
5- INSPECT UNDER BODY FOR LEAKS, WEAR AND CORROSION
6- INSPECT ENGINE BAY LEVELS.
7- INSPECT AND REPORT ON GEAR BOX AND DIFFERENTIAL OIL
8- INSPECT LIGHT, WIPERS, IN CAB ELECTRICS & GENERAL CONDITION OF VEHICLE.
ENGINE OIL AND FILTER:
DRAIN ENGINE OIL AND REMOVE OIL FILTER.
SUPPLY AND FIT NEW OIL FILTER,
SUPPLY AND FILL OIL AS REQUIRED.
CHECK FOR ENGINE OIL LEAKS.
FUEL FILTER:
DISCONNECT AND REMOVE FUEL FILTER,
SUPPLY AND FIT NEW FUEL FILTER.
INSPECT AND CHECK FUEL LINES AND HOSES.

Date: R.O.: Sales Person:

Tuesday, March 10, 2020
Speedo: 104824

[img]blob:https://www.jaguarforums.com/2e84f3a6-8a9c-4d20-98c3-13d40a95d459[/img]

Old 03-10-2020, 11:13 AM

If you have a faulty MAF then the ECU doesn't have accurate information to get the fuel/air correct when in open loop. This tends to give a rough idle when it's cold (e.g. after standing overnight in winter) as the air density is greater and it isn't correctly compensating by adding the right amount of fuel. Usually this goes away after a minute or two once the O2 sensors warm up and the system goes closed loop as it uses the exhaust output to adjust the fuel input.

A thing to watch out for is damaging the cats as it might be throwing out unburnt fuel when it's open loop and this can destroy them.
yeah they should be in Wednesday. Thankfully I have a work car so I only use my car on the weekends pretty much. The rough idle is very rare but it’s something I definitely notice

Old 03-10-2020, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by EXEF
I have always used this product for cleaning my MAF sensors. It's cheap and can be used for lots of other purposes. The first time I tried it was because I already had a can in the garage and the engine was showing all the symptoms of dirty sensors so I thought, what have I got to lose.

The difference in the engine performance afterwards was nothing short of amazing.

I'm not sure if I bought the same exact thing or just something like it but that was one of the first things I tried. Took them both out, sprayed them down and let them air dry before putting them back in

Old 03-10-2020, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Geoff_C
I had the car serviced today including the following: Total cost was $252.00 AUD I thought to have it done now as its a second-hand car with 104,842 klms. on it. Even though it has been one owner and all services being done by Jaguar dealerships, it was better to start my own records and peace of mind. I had the A/C Compressor replaced under warranty about a week ago. I did my own Air filter and Cabin pollen filter last week. I had the front and rear bumpers painted to rid the scratches from the previous owner had done. The cars looking great along with performing so much better with no more lag from the accelerator. EPA WASTE DISPOSAL FILTER FUEL RYCO {TRADE} FILTER OIL RYCO {TRADE} OIL ENVIRO + C1 {TRADE}

JAGUAR XF X250 2.2L AJ4D DIESEL

VEHICLE CONDITION REPORT:

1- CHECK AND ADJUST BRAKES,
2- CHECK TYRE CONDITION AND PRESSURE
3- CHECK SUSPENSION, BUSHES, JOINTS AND SHOCKS
4- CHECK ENGINE OIL LEAKS,
5- INSPECT UNDER BODY FOR LEAKS, WEAR AND CORROSION
6- INSPECT ENGINE BAY LEVELS.
7- INSPECT AND REPORT ON GEAR BOX AND DIFFERENTIAL OIL
8- INSPECT LIGHT, WIPERS, IN CAB ELECTRICS & GENERAL CONDITION OF VEHICLE.
ENGINE OIL AND FILTER:
DRAIN ENGINE OIL AND REMOVE OIL FILTER.
SUPPLY AND FIT NEW OIL FILTER,
SUPPLY AND FILL OIL AS REQUIRED.
CHECK FOR ENGINE OIL LEAKS.
FUEL FILTER:
DISCONNECT AND REMOVE FUEL FILTER,
SUPPLY AND FIT NEW FUEL FILTER.
INSPECT AND CHECK FUEL LINES AND HOSES.

Date: R.O.: Sales Person:

Tuesday, March 10, 2020
Speedo: 104824

[img]blob:https://www.jaguarforums.com/2e84f3a6-8a9c-4d20-98c3-13d40a95d459[/img]
did you have your throttle body cleaned? I have jaguar do all my filters and everything still because they don’t try and bend me over on prices with those. However they tried to tell me they would replace both sensor and clean my throttle body for $1500 which is just way too money when I know where the sensors are and how much they cost. I wouldn’t mind them cleaning my throttle body but I’ve never notice my air filters or anything make a difference in the acceleration. Now I do have a work truck that my car is 10x nicer to drive in so I’ll admit I don’t think I would really notice if my car isn’t as jumpy as she used to be. Only thing I ever replaced on my car was the water pump and hose. Floored it into the highway and next thing you know had a warning light on haha

Geoff_C (03-11-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 01:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

Interestingly, Jaguar specifically recommend against cleaning the throttle body in the service manual:

Old 03-11-2020, 03:52 AM

did you have your throttle body cleaned? I have jaguar do all my filters and everything still because they don’t try and bend me over on prices with those. However, they tried to tell me they would replace both sensors and clean my throttle body for $1500 which is just way too money when I know where the sensors are and how much they cost. I wouldn’t mind them cleaning my throttle body but I’ve never noticed my air filters or anything make a difference in the acceleration. Now I do have a work truck that my car is 10x nicer to drive in so I’ll admit I don’t think I would really notice if my car isn’t as jumpy as she used to be. The only thing I ever replaced on my car was the water pump and hose. Floored it into the highway and next thing you know had a warning light on haha
No just had the above done I had a similar issue to a turbo lag before cleaning the Maf, then changing the oil filter and air filter.The car now responds as I think it should and feels so much smoother.

Old 03-11-2020, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by davetibbs
Interestingly, Jaguar specifically recommend against cleaning the throttle body in the service manual:

damn holy ****. I’m actually going to mention this to them because I was going to have them cleaned after the new sensors come in today (hopefully) I wonder why they would even suggest that and not just replace the gasket

Old 03-11-2020, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Geoff_C
No just had the above done I had a similar issue to a turbo lag before cleaning the Maf, then changing the oil filter and air filter.The car now responds as I think it should and feels so much smoother.
my oil change isn’t due for another 5 months or 9,000 miles left and I’m hoping as soon as I get the sensors I’ll notice a difference but I think I’ll only notice the idle. I’ll interested in seeing if they make a difference I hope they do

Geoff_C (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 02:40 AM

my oil change isn’t due for another 5 months or 9,000 miles left and I’m hoping as soon as I get the sensors I’ll notice a difference but I think I’ll only notice the idle. I’ll interested in seeing if they make a difference I hope they do
My car according to all the service records I got with the car was not due till around August 2020, but I like to know everything is right so started with my own service recording and will di the oil and fuel filters more often, so at least twice a year instead of yearly. The best thing you can do for diesel motors is clean oils and oil filters along with new fuel filters and air filters on a regular basis and they hopefully go forever. It's cheap when you consider the benefits. I tend to agree with you regarding the idling will be the only benefit you will see and that should be smoother.Good luck and please keep us updated.

Quick Reply: 2012 Jaguar XF mass air flo sensor