XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2012 Mina Gallery Group buys

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 01:42 PM
Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by wannajag
Real CF isn't that hard to buy...pick some up and take your time to do a good job...
No, it's certainly not hard to buy real carbon fiber, just like it's not hard to buy titanium, aluminum, or any other material before it's been manufactured to exact specifications, or at least molded and/or cut appropriately, and then potentially further transformed in some manner, and then potentially joined to some other material components, which were probably also manufactured to exact specifications, or at least molded and/or cut appropriately, and then potentially further transformed through the addition of an epoxy or some other protective coating. But, due to the low volume of our cars, there aren't many options regarding buying real CF component upgrades which have been manufactured specifically to fit our cars. Mirror covers might be very simple for someone to make, as I imagine the process would be very similar to making fiberglass molds by laying sheets over the OEM piece, etc. But, if I wanted a real carbon fiber hood for my car (which I don't), what would I do? I could easily wrap my entire hood in 3M vinyl film made to look like carbon fiber. And, I guess maybe I could even buy a huge sheet of real carbon fiber fabric and drape it over my OEM hood. But, I don't know of anyone selling real carbon fiber hoods for our cars and a quick Google search didn't return anything promising. But, for many other cars with higher production numbers, there might even be several options. So, unless I plan on manufacturing my own carbon fiber hood for my XFR (of which I'm currently incapable), or know of someone who could manufacture one specifically for me (which I don't and which would probably be very expensive, anyway), I'm pretty much out of luck. And, it's the same situation for most other real carbon fiber component options for our cars.

Last edited by Reaxions; 04-17-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Haha, I wasn't thinking a hood, smaller parts is what I would consider...

Old 04-19-2013, 10:25 AM
Kyu
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sorry for such a late response, I've been out of town for my job.

one of our factories in Vietnam burned down and I had to go deal with who's going to be responsible for the damaged costs ..
Ugh

So I got word from chris yesterday,
Looks like My parts are still not in, and by the looks by others posts same goes for them.

So I havn't been able to get anything as of yet either.

On another note, I thought I mentioned it,
You can contact chris directly and just tell them This forum, and your forum member name and me, "Kyu" and he'll give you the forum discount.

I just don't know what he has in stock at the moment.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Reaxions
For the immediate future, I'm turning my attention to my '12 Rover Sport Supercharged. I already got all of the plastic exterior pillar covers painted to match the body, as well as the silver accent piece on the back. There's a lot more I want to do, I just don't have time until I finish my MBA in July, especially since our little boy just turned 6 months old. But, I guess now is as good a time as any to get him into cars. Ha-ha.
No more floating roof?