XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Anybody have squeaky seats?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 09:11 AM
Received 125 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Anybody have squeaky seats?

I have been dealing with a very annoying squeak from the passenger seat whenever anybody sits in it.

Most of the time, the noise is whenever you hit the brake or the gas causing a momentum shift of the passengers. Some larger pot holes also cause the seat the squeak.

It has been to the dealer 5 times.

1st to verify the noise, ordered "special grease".
2nd to apply "special grease". Fix lasted 2 days
3rd to verify noise, ordered new seat back frame
4th to replace seat back frame. Fix lasted 1 week
5th to verify noise, dealer said could not duplicate. Bullshit, still makes noise, getting worse everyday.

Squeak is much worst in Dymanic mode due to aggressive throttle response and stiffened suspension.

I am starting to get very aggravated, my last XF never had this issue.

Worse part about it is the dealer is 90 miles away.

So, how many others have or have had a squeaky seat?

Old 03-03-2016, 10:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drivers seat is awful in my 2103 5.0 SC. I will actually pick it up today for this as well as several other small items. As it is still a warranty issue I suspect I'll be back in a week. Call Jag NA if the turds at the dealer cant get it resolved, and see if they can apply some heat to the dealer.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:48 PM

I guess I should add, it is a 13 with the top line 18/14 way spirit seats. This is happening to the 14 way passenger side.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:26 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

'14 XFR-S here. Drivers seat squeak every time I get in the car. Started last summer. Never had any seat squeaks in my previous '10 XFR. Agree: it is annoying and unfortunately adds an aura of cheapness to a great car.

The following users liked this post:
Derkins (06-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2016, 06:55 AM
Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Mine used to squeak. After about 4 service visits where they attempted to correct it with tightening and grease, they replaced the seat bottom and the squeak went away. It did it in the lower position more than any other. It was quite easy to recreate the squeak for the dealership.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just glad to hear I'm not the only one with a squeaky interior. I was somewhat ashamed when I gave a buddy of mine a ride recently...definitely not what anyone would expect from a vehicle of this caliber

Old 03-25-2016, 05:50 PM

After a 200 mile round trip, and 30 min at the dealer today, they ordered a new lower seat frame.

Also, as the temp outside is getting warmer, the dash has developed a buzzing sound over the far left vent. Took 4 videos of it buzzing and where to push on the dash cover to stop it over the last week.

They drove it, and of course "could not reproduce".

I attempted to show them the video and they refused to watch them.

So I left, got 1 block away and sure enough, buzzing was present. Turned around, forced the Service adviser to go for a ride. Showed him the buzzing, he was surprised that they did not hear it before. While taking him back, at a red light, I was letting the brakes slip and they chattered a little bit (car was wet from the wash they did) and the whole dash buzzed like it was coming off.

His comment was "WHOOH, that's nuts!".

They still did not look at it, just said they would when it goes back to "fix" the seat when the parts come in.

Would have been nice if they would have investigated the buzzing in case they need to order parts now instead of waiting for the next visit.

So, the seat is still not fixed after 6 trips to the dealer. At least 1 more is needed.
And did I mention that that each trip is 180-200 miles round trip?

So, the car has 9000 miles in it now, and 1200 of those are just miles to attempt to have issues fixed.

Old 03-27-2016, 04:34 PM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 XF Premium
After a 200 mile round trip, and 30 min at the dealer today, they ordered a new lower seat frame.

Also, as the temp outside is getting warmer, the dash has developed a buzzing sound over the far left vent. Took 4 videos of it buzzing and where to push on the dash cover to stop it over the last week.

They drove it, and of course "could not reproduce".

I attempted to show them the video and they refused to watch them.

So I left, got 1 block away and sure enough, buzzing was present. Turned around, forced the Service adviser to go for a ride. Showed him the buzzing, he was surprised that they did not hear it before. While taking him back, at a red light, I was letting the brakes slip and they chattered a little bit (car was wet from the wash they did) and the whole dash buzzed like it was coming off.

His comment was "WHOOH, that's nuts!".

They still did not look at it, just said they would when it goes back to "fix" the seat when the parts come in.

Would have been nice if they would have investigated the buzzing in case they need to order parts now instead of waiting for the next visit.

So, the seat is still not fixed after 6 trips to the dealer. At least 1 more is needed.
And did I mention that that each trip is 180-200 miles round trip?

So, the car has 9000 miles in it now, and 1200 of those are just miles to attempt to have issues fixed.
That is absolutely nuts! I would be fuming mad. I really hate dealing with dealers too, for just that type of reason. They are far more interested in making a buck than taking care of the customer.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:32 AM

Well, let's see if the 7th trip is the charmed one. They picked the car up today to replace the passenger side seat bottom frame.

They are also going to attempt to fix the buzzing in the dash, as it has been hotter here lately, the buzzing is on every bump. So loud you can't drown it out with even the 875 watt radio.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:18 PM

Got car back, seat appears to be quiet, will see what the next week or two bring. It should be fixed now, the whole seat has been replaced.

Now onto the dash, not so much progress made here. They said the trunk/fog light switch was the culprit (which was way to low to be the noise I am hearing) and they replaced the switch. On first drive to lunch, noise is still there, no change.

Sucks the dealer is so far away, I can't quickly take it back to them. I swear the workers at this dealer are deaf (but most likely don't care).

I have owned the car for 7 months, bought with only 1000 miles on it and it is now over 10,500. A total of 7 trips to fix the seat (hopefully fixed), 1 trip for an emissions engine light, 2 trips to fix a broken power vent, and now at least one more trip in the future to fix the dash buzzing/rattling.

At least 10 trips at 200 miles each = 2000 miles. So 1/5 of the total miles on the car has just been for service work, all before it's first oil change.

Not to mention the "book" of service work that when I go to sell this car will show any potential owner that this is a problem vehicle and to stay away.

Last edited by 10 XF Premium; 04-22-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update: Car is back at the dealer, and they now have all the seats - front & back - out, and have determined the body is causing the noise. The next steps are getting Jag NA to authorize the dealer to take the carpet out to see if the noise can be identified, or whether it needs to be shipped to an authorized body shop to have them look at it.

Ugh...

Old 06-05-2016, 12:33 AM

The latest update for me is a good one.

The seat is quiet as it should be.

Now for the dash. I have been too busy the last month to take the car back in for more investigation. So every time the noise happens I tried to pin-point it. I finally relealized that the fog light switch rattle the dealer discovered and replaced was a symptom and not the cause. The new switch was still rattling.

I decided to take the dash apart myself on a very hot day when the buzzing/rattling was very bad. I discovered the problem. The lower dash panel (below the steering wheel) is fastened to the main dash by two upper screws and 3 lower screws. But in the middle of that pad it rests against two aluminum circular bars that are bolted to the under structure of the firewall. The only insulator between the dash pad and those two bars is a bit of friction tape. The buzzing/rattle was caused by these two parts not fastened together mechanically. So I used some 1/4" foam rubber weather stripping and sandwiched it between the dash and substructure.

For the last week now there is no more rattles or buzzing.