XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

bubbling dashboard on my XF

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 312 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
Well mine is just starting to pull away from the front of the window cowl, I just bought the Factory XF sunshade for $54, kinda pricey, but it does fit VERY well it's made by Cover Craft for Jag CC also makes the DashMat so I ordered one in grey sued.
When the dash bubbling gets really bad I'll just pull it and get it re done on my own, I'm thinking grey sued with black stitching lol. Jaguar XF Warped Dashboard Replacement (X250) 2010 - YouTube
Kind of involved but I'm down.
Too bad the video skips showing literally every difficult part of the job. Not much education here.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
Too bad the video skips showing literally every difficult part of the job. Not much education here.
Vid is just a guide, TOpix will fill in the blanks quite nicely..

Old 02-18-2015, 03:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2009 Jaguar XF Supercharged 65K Miles, confirmed Dash Lifting

Yes, me, too.

Just thought I would chime in for records sake.

I wonder if California Lemon Law deals with this sort of thing?

Old 02-18-2015, 07:44 PM
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Ok, dahmooser….hear is my story since you live so close to me. I have the same car as you and my dash started to bubble. I have 43K miles and am 3 months to the end of a CPO Jaguar extended warranty. The service mgr. said "replace it with new and no charge" So great ! However they matched the color perfectly but put in the wrong leather……keep in mind that the color is "warm charcoal"….so dark that the pattern difference is hard to see. However an educated auto snob would notice the difference sooner or later. Most people would not. But here is the real dilemma…after 6 months, I brought up the subject with the service mfg. and he admits the mistake. I then bring up the topic of CPO extended warranty in that I would like to extend the Jaguar CPO warranty but really am not quite comfortable with the price of $3500 for 3 yrs and 36K miles……so he asks me what I want to do…..perhaps an extended CPO as above but for $1500-$2000. What would you do ? The leather difference is between "bonded" and "soft-leather" design……the installation is perfect however. Remember, the dark colors are hard to see where as the light colors jump right out at you.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
Vid is just a guide, TOpix will fill in the blanks quite nicely..
I guess you haven't done this job. The manual is a guide, the video was an opportunity to show the tricks to doing the job. Just getting off the screw covers by the windshield is a chore.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bubbling dash on XF

Looks like there is a clear manufacturing defect on the XF dash. Mine is bubbling and looking at these threads appears they realised and improved adhesive practices. Does not help, expensive car an I would expect much better attention to detail and fit off that actually can last for its intended purpose (heat included). Have not had this problem on other older jags or much cheaper new production line cars purchased in same time frame for XF 2010.

Will be very interested to see if Jag Australia stump under their "good will" policy and fix a clear defect given similar nature of all these reports .. I guess time will tell over coming weeks.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2010 XF Bubble Dash

As I explained earlier, this is my 15 Jaguar going back to 1986 and I always has superb service from my local Jaguar Dealer from Texas, Tulsa Ok, OKC Ok, Minneapolis Mn, never had a problem with them denying a claim until now,
my local Jaguar Dealer Fort Myers Jag/Land Rover said they would install the new dashboard ( Free from Jaguar HQ) for 850.00

BIG DEAL, the charge is way excessive and since this is a severe problem with the 2010's they should install the damn thing at no charge ( and yes I have the Jaguar Extended Warranty) Needless to say,
I'm very disappointed with Jaguar Inc as they should have brought more on the dealer to get this installed at N/C as to the dealer I'm now going to go to Naples Jaguar, hopefully they will treat a customer with a little more respect.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:46 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

It is interesting to note that the replacement dashes all have additional stapling around the edges, so they do know that this is an issue and changed the manufacturing process.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Goodwill?

Dear XF Dashboard cohorts,

What we really need is an attorney who owns one of our cars and has the same issue.

Jaguar replacing the dashboard at 70-80% coverage, per Jaguar, is considered "good will" since it is outside of the warranty time. Seeing that it is not life threatening, it seems unlikely the NTSB (or whomever is in charge of car defects and recalls) that a "you must fix this" directive will be put in force.

I'm not sure of our legal footing. It seems so wrong that such an expensive car would have an issue that they NOW KNOW is a defect, and not make an effort to remediate it.

In this same spirit, why not build everything on the car to last the 3 years of the full warranty, then, like a time bomb, have everything go wrong on the car and cash in saying "oh, sorry, this is no longer covered."?

It's the integrity, and lack thereof, that is bothering me the most. Most of us can spend 600-900 dollars to have this taken care of, but, it simply doesn't seem "right or fair" that Jaguar would let this happen.

Sadly, because of this (and I LOVE my car) simple issue, it's unlikely I will be getting another Jaguar in the future. Why would Jaguar want to lose or alienate those of us who probably see our car as something more than "something to drive"?

Disappointedly,

Dahmooser

Old 03-11-2015, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

I finally got some time to pull the dash out of my XF. I plan on attempting to lift the leather up and re-apply it. If it doesn't seem to be working I'll pay a upholstery shop to do it. The removal wasn't too bad. It took me a little over an hour. I snapped pictures of every step/bolt so the install wouldn't be difficult.

Attached Thumbnails bubbling dashboard on my XF-dashremoval01.jpg   bubbling dashboard on my XF-dashremoval02.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Escolar (02-13-2017)
Old 03-11-2015, 11:39 AM

Hey…..the second pic shows the strip next to the windshield and the surface looks exactly like a "bonded leather" instead of the soft-design that is bubbling on your dash. In other words it looks like it does not match the dash proper but more like the leather on your steering wheel….right ?? Mine is just the opposite ……that strip next to the glass is a match for the soft-design leather of the dash and window sills but not the steering wheel. My dash was replaced but the leather was replaced with bonded and not soft…….so it matches the sterling wheel. Actually I like it better in that it is padded better and feels and looks more like leather instead of the soft design that looked like a vinyl copy.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member

I need to clean the leather up a bit. It's a bit glossy which is giving it the vinyl look.

I received a $240 quote to remove and re-adhere the leather. I thought it was a little high so I pulled the leather off on my own. It's kind of a pain to get the leather/foam off the dash. The leather has a foam backing and both came off together. It probably took less time to remove the dash from the car than it did to peal the leather off the dash. You have to be careful not to stretch the leather or tear any of the seams.

I attempted to use some 3M spray adhesive to put it back together but it wasn't holding it down like I wanted so I pulled it off and cleaned all the glue residue off with mineral spirits. I'm going to bring it to the upholstery shop. I'm thinking the install cost will be cheaper now that they don't have to remove the leather from the dash. Hopefully I can give a update in a day or two when the leather is back on the dash and the dash is back in the car.

I could put together a how-to for removing the dash if people are interested. I took a picture of every single bolt/connector that I removed so I wouldn't forget any steps during re-install.

Attached Thumbnails bubbling dashboard on my XF-dashremoval04.jpg   bubbling dashboard on my XF-dashremoval05.jpg  

Last edited by Blackcoog; 03-12-2015 at 08:24 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Blackcoog:
blrx7r1 (03-13-2015), fabfive (03-12-2015), Reaxions (08-08-2023)
Old 03-12-2015, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Any reason why you took the whole leather cover off and not just pull pack the areas that failed and reglue?

Old 03-12-2015, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
Any reason why you took the whole leather cover off and not just pull pack the areas that failed and reglue?
I didn't want to have to do it again in a year or two. Chances are it would continue lifting over time in the other areas.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:07 PM

So that strip up against the windshield is plastic that looks like leather !!??

Old 03-12-2015, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Man with the quality of the few pictures you posted I say yes! Please post your removal instructions.

This looks like another Jaguar repair that can range from thousands to a few hundred dollars depending on how much the owner is willing to do.

It does not look all that bad to remove the dash cover and take it to a upholstery shop.

Since you removed the foam from the leather cover will you replace the foam or just glue the leather back on the dash pad?

Old 03-12-2015, 04:21 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

+1 on the how-to guide please.

That center speaker grill in my car is so sun baked, I know its going to break into a few pieces when I try to remove it.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member

I have had my dash replaced, but of course, the dealer created a rattle by the base of the windshield. I am wondering if they didn't tighten all of the screws in the front properly, but I can't even get off the covers to the screws.

How did you do it? I even bought a long needle nose pliers that are curved at the tip and with lots of force the covers still won't come off. Did those yahoos glue them on, or is it always hard to get the covers off?

Also, from your first hand work, what areas around the base would be likely placed to cause a rattle?

The following users liked this post:
wardo5757 (03-13-2015)
Old 03-13-2015, 07:42 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
I didn't want to have to do it again in a year or two. Chances are it would continue lifting over time in the other areas.
I think you did the right thing BC. My leather shrunk since it was re-glued, looking in from the windshield I can see the leathers edge again. It hasn't come loose yet so it doesn't bother me. I was told (by the guy I took it to) that he couldn't pull the rest of the leather off. He pulled off as much as he could the glued it back with contact cement.

I've tinkered with cars since I was a child, this was the easiest dash I've ever pulled out. I have an 06 LR3 that the Texas sun has murdered and I am dreading pulling that one out.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chuckh007
So that strip up against the windshield is plastic that looks like leather !!??
It is either vinyl or bonded leather.

Originally Posted by tbird6
Man with the quality of the few pictures you posted I say yes! Please post your removal instructions.

Since you removed the foam from the leather cover will you replace the foam or just glue the leather back on the dash pad?
The pictures were taken with my Samsung Note 4. That phone takes amazing pictures.

The foam was not removed from the leather. The foam and leather are still firmly glued together and I don't see them ever coming apart. After a lot of research I found out that you can't use a rattle can spray adhesive. You need to use a high temp contact cement that usually isn't sold locally. If I end up doing the job myself I'd go with this kit: http://www.yourautotrim.com/1gadapwehhrc1.html I'll more than likely have a shop do the work though. I'm not confident I could get it on without having ripples or imperfections.

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
I have had my dash replaced, but of course, the dealer created a rattle by the base of the windshield. I am wondering if they didn't tighten all of the screws in the front properly, but I can't even get off the covers to the screws.

How did you do it? I even bought a long needle nose pliers that are curved at the tip and with lots of force the covers still won't come off. Did those yahoos glue them on, or is it always hard to get the covers off?

Also, from your first hand work, what areas around the base would be likely placed to cause a rattle?
I'd use your finger and tap each part of the vent including the covers to see if any of them rattle or move around. I'd bet your rattle is due to a broken clip on the bolt covers on that defrost vent or a broken clip on the defrost vent. The bolt covers are a bit of a pain to get out. I used a small flat head screw driver to gently get under the edge and make room for a larger screw driver that I could use for more leverage to pop them out. Fortunately the screw covers are only $3 each. I couldn't get my defrost vent out without breaking a few of the clips so the dealer may have broken a clip or two on yours.

Last edited by Blackcoog; 03-13-2015 at 07:57 AM.

Quick Reply: bubbling dashboard on my XF