XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

bubbling dashboard on my XF

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 08:12 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
I have had my dash replaced, but of course, the dealer created a rattle by the base of the windshield. I am wondering if they didn't tighten all of the screws in the front properly, but I can't even get off the covers to the screws.

How did you do it? I even bought a long needle nose pliers that are curved at the tip and with lots of force the covers still won't come off. Did those yahoos glue them on, or is it always hard to get the covers off?

Also, from your first hand work, what areas around the base would be likely placed to cause a rattle?

The defrost and speaker grills are plastic and are “extremely brittle” after a short time. The tabs that hold the defrost grill in broke when I pulled them out, they sat in there nicely when I installed the dash again. After a few days I heard that same faint rattle by the windshield and had to replace that grill. Try to pull the grill up, if it moves I would think that’s your rattle. It’s a $65 part and takes just a few minutes.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Thanks for that.

Can you post the part number? Maybe help someone else out?

Old 03-13-2015, 09:17 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird6
Thanks for that.

Can you post the part number? Maybe help someone else out?
I didn't save that receipt, but it will be listed in Topix. The guy at the parts counter will probably know the number without having to look it up, all I was asked for was my vin so he could get the correct color.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 314 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by wardo5757

The defrost and speaker grills are plastic and are “extremely brittle” after a short time. The tabs that hold the defrost grill in broke when I pulled them out, they sat in there nicely when I installed the dash again. After a few days I heard that same faint rattle by the windshield and had to replace that grill. Try to pull the grill up, if it moves I would think that’s your rattle. It’s a $65 part and takes just a few minutes.
Good info, thanks Wardo! I will check the vent tonight.

If it makes anyone else feed better, now that I have had the dash replaced under warranty, all 4 doors now have the leather bubbling at the top. It's very humid this week and it's showing up big time. Looks horrible. for those that need to address this outside of warranty, at least the door panels are pretty easy to take off from my experience when I did the driver's side door.

Last edited by lotusespritse; 03-13-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Problems with the door coverings has not been posted before and I hope you are a one off!

Can you post some pictures so I know what to look for?

Old 03-13-2015, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tbird6
Problems with the door coverings has not been posted before and I hope you are a one off!

Can you post some pictures so I know what to look for?
I'll post up some pics later, but you can tell very easily. If you touch the leather you will depress the bubbles that show how it's come unglued. It should be firmly attached. And it looks uneven and unstretched across the top of the panel.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

I found a upholstery shop that glued the leather back down for me. They charged me $120. I'm pretty happy with the results. It isn't 100% perfect but it's damn close. I had a seam start to pull apart above the cluster to the left (not pictured) so the upholstery guy put some glue in that area to keep it together and left a tiny bit of glue on the leather in that area. That kind of pisses me off but I'm working on getting that off. The seam issue is so small you'd never notice it unless I pointed it out. He shot staples in it all around the edges. I had to remove a few of the staples because they were visible after the covers were installed. I did get the dash reinstalled yesterday and it looks like everything is working so I must have done something right.

I asked how much it would be to re-cover the dash with new leather and he said it's somewhat difficult to get leather hides that are perfectly uniform. It would probably cost about $1500. At that point we might as well buy the new dash from Jaguar for $2500. The dash pealing up issue is pretty common in the industry right now based on the upholstery guy. They do some type of heat/vacuum press to stick the leather/foam to the dash. It isn't an adhesive.

I'll get a finished install picture later.

Attached Thumbnails bubbling dashboard on my XF-dashinstall01.jpg   bubbling dashboard on my XF-dashinstall02.jpg   bubbling dashboard on my XF-dashinstall03.jpg   bubbling dashboard on my XF-dashinstall04.jpg  
Old 03-19-2015, 09:55 PM
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Ok….the fourth picture shows the lower right corner with the soft grain leather and the strip along the windshield that is definitely bonded leather….right !! I asked about this before and got no answer……it looks like two different finishes. Now after they replaced my dash I got just the opposite results. Go figure !!

Old 03-20-2015, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member

I never removed it or looked into what it was. I figured it was a vinyl but it could be bonded leather.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

I can't believe the dealership, when I asked, actually said the bonded leather is real leather. Look it up, It's just ground leather scraps and other man made materials then stamped with a leather texture, finished and used like real leather. It's actually much more stable and wears ten times better than real. Actually does have a leather smell.
When they replaced my dash, they ordered the bonded which didn't match my interior but it was too late so I left it. I actually prefer it to the smooth.
And my trim shop says it's much easier to repair!

The following users liked this post:
loco4myjag (03-20-2016)
Old 03-20-2015, 12:16 PM
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

BINGO !! Finally, someone that has had the same experience that I had. And I like the look better because the soft grain looks too much like vinyl. They admitted that they made a mistake (after the fact) and gave me a discount on an extended CPO warranty ( $1500) after my present CPO expires. And BTW, notice that it matches the steering wheel ?

Old 03-21-2015, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by neogod
again every dealership is different. My car has no factory or CPO warranty. I have an aftermarket warranty, but the Jaguar dealership here said they would cover it themselves. That's why I would suggest everyone see what their dealership will offer. I'm sure there are more dealerships will go above and beyond to keep loyal customers than the ones only looking to take your money.
I'd be really surprised if the dealer is going to eat the cost of the parts and the labor on that job. They must be getting Jag to pay for it somehow.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My dash repair

So I see what you did with your apostry installer. I did the same thing got the speaker area fixed, and stapled everything. The leather though still shows the flaws where the glue let go. And now that it's all back together the area on the driver side is showing another air pocket. All we are doing is putting band aids on the new wounds. They should just pay for a whole new dash. I'll install it

Last edited by Venomous11; 03-21-2015 at 09:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
loco4myjag (03-20-2016)
Old 03-21-2015, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Venomous11
So I see what you did with your apostry installer. I did the same thing got the speaker area fixed, and stapled everything. The leather though still shows the flaws where the glue let go. And now that it's all back together the area on the driver side is showing another air pocket. All we are doing is putting band aids on the new wounds. They should just pay for a whole new dash. I'll install it
So you didn't pull the whole cover off and get it re-glued? If not, the result of more parts coming unglued is not surprising. Once it starts to let go in one spot, it's telling you that it's going to keep letting go.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Venomous11
I removed the entire cover and had it re-glued/stapled.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone know if this was corrected on the facelifted XF? I'm wondering if I should be worried about my MY13. She is garaged both at home and at work so I don't get too much sun exposure on the dash, but Denver summers do mean a lot of intense sunlight.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:31 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

When the leather starts to separate did anyone notice ripples on the dash or is that normal?

Old 04-09-2015, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by boiler
When the leather starts to separate did anyone notice ripples on the dash or is that normal?
Bump I have 800 miles left before the cpo warranty kicks in. Are the ripple/wavey lines a sign the dash is letting go?

Old 04-09-2015, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, ripples are typically a sign of the pad lifting up in certain areas.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
Yes, ripples are typically a sign of the pad lifting up in certain areas.
Thanks I will snap some pics when I get home tomorrow to have you guys take a look.

Quick Reply: bubbling dashboard on my XF