XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Cant turn off DCS function

Old 01-31-2016, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant turn off DCS function

HI.. I have a 2009 XF..I hit the RH wheel on a bollard Kerb when travelling at about 50mph. I had the car mechanically checked at my local dealer and declared OK, but since that time the mpg has dropped dramatically and I cannot apparently 'turn off' the DCS function.. it just goes to the 'trac disc' stage. The car seems to be staying in lower gears than normal and the ride feels different - stiffer and more control with the driver. I'm wondering if the DCS system is actually off and the sensor on the RH front wheel is not working - though the display does not say so. After the collision i did get a warning that said 'DSC inactive' which re-set upon car restart - this is normal according to my local Jag dealer. Any ideas anyone?

Old 02-01-2016, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

No. But have you scanned it for any codes after the impact?

The following users liked this post:
clivekeep (02-01-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 07:26 PM

Hi, no I haven't.. It sounds like I need to get my XF back to my main dealer for an investigation. Thanks a lot.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

Are you trying to turn the DSC off by holding the DSC button for at least 10 seconds? The first button tap will only partially disable it.

clivekeep (02-03-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 09:12 AM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

This DSC/DCS button we're talking about, which is it?...I'm confused...

I know about the Checkered flag button that is the Dynamic Mode and stays engaged for 8 hours once you've initiated it and will still stay engaged after the car has been shut off and later restarted as long as it's been less than 8 hours since the last start..

But the DSC/DCS is also a button in the lower right corner of the button cluster on the center console?..I have to hold it down for about 3 seconds, then the little yellow ICON pops up on the DIC with a line through it (can't remember what is says right now..I think it says Traction Control TC) and stays on while I drive, but is off when I restart after, say a gas fill up and must be pressed for 3 seconds again in order to turn it off...I've held it down for 10 to 15 seconds and nothing appears different than the 3 second press...Is that the DSC/DCS button you all are referring to, or is there another one I don't have?

Last edited by DPK; 02-03-2016 at 09:27 AM.
clivekeep (02-03-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 10:25 AM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by DPK
This DSC/DCS button we're talking about, which is it?...I'm confused...

I know about the Checkered flag button that is the Dynamic Mode and stays engaged for 8 hours once you've initiated it and will still stay engaged after the car has been shut off and later restarted as long as it's been less than 8 hours since the last start..

But the DSC/DCS is also a button in the lower right corner of the button cluster on the center console?..I have to hold it down for about 3 seconds, then the little yellow ICON pops up on the DIC with a line through it (can't remember what is says right now..I think it says Traction Control TC) and stays on while I drive, but is off when I restart after, say a gas fill up and must be pressed for 3 seconds again in order to turn it off...I've held it down for 10 to 15 seconds and nothing appears different than the 3 second press...Is that the DSC/DCS button you all are referring to, or is there another one I don't have?
There is an item in your glove box with the answers to many of the simple questions found in your posts. It is called a manual, designed specifically to be read.

Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) is a computer controlled system which can help to save the driver from his own mistakes in cornering and other low-traction situations. In our cars there are three possible settings.
1) DSC on. This is the default, and no warning lights are displayed. By design this is the preferred setting for most of the time.
2) TRAC DSC. This is the "track" setting which allows for more wheelspin and cornering side-slip yet still intervenes to try and prevent the worst disasters. A single tap on the DSC button (to the lower right of the gear selector knob) will turn this on displaying the "DSC" warning light and a "TRAC DSC" message. There is no 3 second button. TRAC DSC can be switched back to standard DSC with a single button tap.
3) DSC OFF. This turns all the driver's aids completely off. Because these high powered cars can get into serious trouble so quickly, the designers want this setting only very carefully and rarely used, therefore they have made it difficult to select accidentally. The DSC button must be held down for 10 (some sources say 11) seconds until the "DSC OFF" warning message is displayed. A single tap on the DSC button will return you to the standard DSC mode.

Dynamic Mode is completely different and has no bearing on traction or stability. You and I both have naturally aspirated 5 liter motors, in our models Dynamic Mode controls gearbox and throttle response but not suspension.

The following 4 users liked this post by Swimref:
clivekeep (02-03-2016), DPK (02-06-2016), lckitty (02-03-2016), sparkenzap (02-05-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 12:23 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

I'll go look again when I get a chance..But thanks for the reminder on the Owners Handbook...Smart ***

My button as I referred to, is in the same location as yours apparently..has to be held down for at least 3 or 4 seconds before anything pops up as disabled on the DIC display...Holding it down for 10 or more seconds doesn't do anything more that I can see...This is what I'm asking..besides what shows up after 3 seconds of holding down the button, does anything else suppose to pop up..and just tapping the button initially, does nothing either as I can tell visually...I have to hold it down for at least 3 seconds..I hope I'm making myself clear.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:43 PM

Dear Swimref. The manual was the first place I looked and the DSC (sorry I put DCS by mistake) operation should happen exactly as you describe. What hapoens in my XF since the impact I had is that a light press on the button goes to 'trac disc' as expected but if I hold the button for greater than 10 seconds the display then reads 'DSC On' - in other words I cannot turn the DSC off - I have just two operational modes, On or Trac disc. What I am wondering is whether the impact I had is likely to have damaged relevant parts of the offside front suspension so that computer control, is in effect inoperative and in fact the DSC system is actually off, not on as the display suggests. This is my first Jaguar but the car now drives with the suspension much stiffer, I can feel everything through the steering wheel, etc. I was wondering whether any members had experienced something similar before I take it back to my friendly dealer. One thing maybe I should say is that after the impact the message came up 'DSC inactive' but that this message went away upon car re-start. This is normal, according to my dealer.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:45 PM

HI there.. thanks for replying - see my response to swimref.... Kind regards..

Old 02-03-2016, 12:51 PM

Thanks you fr your response - my full answer or reply is in my reply to swimref..but I have tried to switch off the DSC function by holding the button down for greater than 10 seconds - but it just goes to 'trac disc' first ad then back to 'DSC on'. As explained to 'Swimref' I'm wondering if the DSC function is actually off (regardless what the computer display says) because hat is what it drives like (but this is my first Jaguar). Thanks for replying.. CliveKeep

Old 02-03-2016, 10:36 PM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by clivekeep
Dear Swimref. The manual was the first place I looked and the DSC (sorry I put DCS by mistake) operation should happen exactly as you describe. What hapoens in my XF since the impact I had is that a light press on the button goes to 'trac disc' as expected but if I hold the button for greater than 10 seconds the display then reads 'DSC On' - in other words I cannot turn the DSC off - I have just two operational modes, On or Trac disc. What I am wondering is whether the impact I had is likely to have damaged relevant parts of the offside front suspension so that computer control, is in effect inoperative and in fact the DSC system is actually off, not on as the display suggests. This is my first Jaguar but the car now drives with the suspension much stiffer, I can feel everything through the steering wheel, etc. I was wondering whether any members had experienced something similar before I take it back to my friendly dealer. One thing maybe I should say is that after the impact the message came up 'DSC inactive' but that this message went away upon car re-start. This is normal, according to my dealer.
Hi Clive,

Let me explain a little further. If you go to "Trac DSC" you can only then go back to the default which is DSC on. If you wish to go to "DSC off" you must first be in the standard "DSC on" mode. Press and hold the button until the message says DSC off, about ten to eleven seconds. If you see Trac DSC you will have to go back to "DSC on" before the 10 second hold down. If yours does not operate this way you will need to see the dealer or a good Jag mechanic. Again, if you see no warning lights or message, and not the light at the button, then you are in the standard setting of "DSC on." From this setting (and this setting only) you can reach either of the other two choices, which will illuminate lights.

clivekeep (02-04-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 11:00 PM
Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

It's probably worth pointing out that if something was wrong with your traction control system, the car would have already disabled it and lit up an error light. It's unlikely there's a big problem if the lights aren't on.
As for codes, in the US you can take your car to any parts store and they will attach an OBD2 scanner to it and read the codes for you (they won't reset errors or anything though). I don't know how it is in the UK, but if you don't have that option, you can get some readers for fairly cheap off ebay or Amazon.

Again, it's unlikely there are codes for something as important as the traction control system if the HUD isn't showing any error lights, but those readers are handy to have anyway for the future. They're compatible with all cars (in the US, it's a law that all cars have to be built with OBD2 ports since 2000), so it will pay for itself in the long run.

clivekeep (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Swimref
Hi Clive,

Let me explain a little further. If you go to "Trac DSC" you can only then go back to the default which is DSC on. If you wish to go to "DSC off" you must first be in the standard "DSC on" mode. Press and hold the button until the message says DSC off, about ten to eleven seconds. If you see Trac DSC you will have to go back to "DSC on" before the 10 second hold down. If yours does not operate this way you will need to see the dealer or a good Jag mechanic. Again, if you see no warning lights or message, and not the light at the button, then you are in the standard setting of "DSC on." From this setting (and this setting only) you can reach either of the other two choices, which will illuminate lights.
Thanks a lot.. yes I've tried pressing the DSC button for 11 secs with in 'DSC on' mode and it fails to turn the DSC off.. all it ever does is go to 'trac disc' DSC off isn;t an option. Time to go to the dealer I guess!

Old 02-04-2016, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by n8ertot
It's probably worth pointing out that if something was wrong with your traction control system, the car would have already disabled it and lit up an error light. It's unlikely there's a big problem if the lights aren't on.
As for codes, in the US you can take your car to any parts store and they will attach an OBD2 scanner to it and read the codes for you (they won't reset errors or anything though). I don't know how it is in the UK, but if you don't have that option, you can get some readers for fairly cheap off ebay or Amazon.

Again, it's unlikely there are codes for something as important as the traction control system if the HUD isn't showing any error lights, but those readers are handy to have anyway for the future. They're compatible with all cars (in the US, it's a law that all cars have to be built with OBD2 ports since 2000), so it will pay for itself in the long run.
thanks for the time you've taken to reply and the advice

Old 02-06-2016, 11:36 AM
DPK
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPK
I'll go look again when I get a chance..But thanks for the reminder on the Owners Handbook...Smart ***

My button as I referred to, is in the same location as yours apparently..has to be held down for at least 3 or 4 seconds before anything pops up as disabled on the DIC display...Holding it down for 10 or more seconds doesn't do anything more that I can see...This is what I'm asking..besides what shows up after 3 seconds of holding down the button, does anything else suppose to pop up..and just tapping the button initially, does nothing either as I can tell visually...I have to hold it down for at least 3 seconds..I hope I'm making myself clear.
Alrighty then...I did just as the owner's Handbook says..And All systems are go...Thanks again to Swimref for straightening me out on this complex DSC system..LOL

* For TRAC DSC...I had to press the button for at least 3 Seconds and release....TRAC DSC momentarily indicated and yellow Icon said DSC OFF...

* Pressed the button and released DSC ON momentarily indicated amber Icon extinguishes.

* For DSC OFF and drive like a maniac...Press and hold Button for at least 11 seconds and the DSC OFF is momentarily indicated and the amber DSC OFF Icon illuminates...with a Ding sound.

First time a actually paid attention to all the indications..

Thanks again for your patients with my dumbshitness.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Reading is overrated...Ha! Glad you got it sorted out.