XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Car died after refueling - twice

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 11:37 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Car died after refueling - twice

I have a 2011 XF with the 5.0 V-8. Last week I filled up at the local Shell stations (91 octane). I pulled out of the station, waited a bit at a red light, made a U-turn, then stopped at another red light. The car suddenly died as I came to a stop. It restarted and seemed to run fine. I took it to my repair shop. They found no engine codes but smoke tested the fuel system anyway and did not find any leaks.

Today, I filled up at the same station. Waited again at a red light, made the same U-turn, and the car died at the next red light. Hmmm. It died at another red light about 2 miles later. I then drove 25 miles in heavy traffic to my office without incident. Drove home and again everything was fine.

I'm going to try a different gas station the next time. I hope it's only bad fuel.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 242 Posts

Intermittent stalling is one of the most annoying things for any car, and it can be hard to pinpoint the cause. It could be any number of things causing the stalling.

There are some threads on here like this one about stalling.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...s-like-170441/

Last edited by lotusespritse; 07-30-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:44 PM

Filled up twice using Chevron gas, one at a station across the street from the Shell station and experienced no dying at stoplights. At this point I'm concluding it's the gas at that particular station.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DavidXF
Filled up twice using Chevron gas, one at a station across the street from the Shell station and experienced no dying at stoplights. At this point I'm concluding it's the gas at that particular station.
I would be very surprised if your story is over. Bad gas a Chevron station in the US seems unlikely. Hopefully you are right though. Keep us posted.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Don't be surprised if it comes back. Probably a fuel pump. Had a friend with that issue and it was intermittent.

And from my admittedly non-expert knowledge of internal combustion engines, if it was the gas, it would continue to have issues through the whole tank, not just right after fill up. Poor burning is poor burning no matter how full the tank is.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:51 PM

Right you guys are. Happened again today.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member

Get the fuel pump checked/replaced. I think you'll be fine after that.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:55 PM
Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Had this exact same issue with my 2005 range rover 5.0. the fuel pump was the cause, but when it was replaced it happened again which led to believe the issue is further towards the gas tank too. After pulling the pump and the lines (which were clogged with debris) they dropped the tank and found a layer of debris such as dirt, leaves and other gunk at the bottom of the tank. At that time i would fill the car up at my usual petro canada station, never went there again and didn't have the issue ever again. I don't think it's the name of the gas station that matters the most nor the types of additives used in the gas. i think it has more to do with the condition of their underground fuel tanks (in north america), the condition of the fuel tankers and their filtration system. In Vancouver, every gas station has to go through a thourough inspection of their underground tanks for structual integrity but no idea on the filtration system.

The following users liked this post:
Etypephil (08-22-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 09:54 AM

It's been a tough spell for the old Jag. I had the 110,000 mile service done. The following week the fan assembly went bad, and the week after that the stalling began. I'm thinking it may be time to retire it from daily driving.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:54 AM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Zamir Chatur
Had this exact same issue with my 2005 range rover 5.0. the fuel pump was the cause, but when it was replaced it happened again which led to believe the issue is further towards the gas tank too. After pulling the pump and the lines (which were clogged with debris) they dropped the tank and found a layer of debris such as dirt, leaves and other gunk at the bottom of the tank. At that time i would fill the car up at my usual petro canada station, never went there again and didn't have the issue ever again. I don't think it's the name of the gas station that matters the most nor the types of additives used in the gas. i think it has more to do with the condition of their underground fuel tanks (in north america), the condition of the fuel tankers and their filtration system. In Vancouver, every gas station has to go through a thourough inspection of their underground tanks for structual integrity but no idea on the filtration system.
Zamir is exactly right, one of the very few that understands. Yes, there is certainly "bad gas" to be had out there, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the brand name on the sign. No matter what brand, the gasoline (if "top tier") pumped from the tanker truck to the gas station tank is almost exactly the same formulation and quality at the same time of year and in the same area. The difference, and it can be a very big difference, is what happens to the gasoline after it goes into the gas station tank. First of all, gasoline is highly volatile and perishable, even a few days of "aging" can change its character substantially. Also, gasoline in storage tanks is highly susceptible to contamination from water and sediment. Both these factors mean that no matter what brand you should avoid low volume "mom and pop" type stations like the plague. In EVERY case, the higher volume the station and the quicker the turnover of the product the better the gas you will get. A station getting daily deliveries will nearly always have better gas than one getting deliveries twice a week. Some warehouse club gas stations get as many as five deliveries a day their volume is so high. Strangely enough (at least for the "you get what you pay for" true believers) this often means the highest priced gas in an area is the worst, and the lowest price gas the best. Freshness is what counts, not which brand and its advertising.

Etypephil (08-22-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 09:25 PM

My repair shop told me they just had another car like mine have the same problem. Turned out to be the fuel pump. There are many smart people here.

Old 08-18-2018, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Swimref
Zamir is exactly right, one of the very few that understands. Yes, there is certainly "bad gas" to be had out there, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the brand name on the sign. No matter what brand, the gasoline (if "top tier") pumped from the tanker truck to the gas station tank is almost exactly the same formulation and quality at the same time of year and in the same area. The difference, and it can be a very big difference, is what happens to the gasoline after it goes into the gas station tank. First of all, gasoline is highly volatile and perishable, even a few days of "aging" can change its character substantially. Also, gasoline in storage tanks is highly susceptible to contamination from water and sediment. Both these factors mean that no matter what brand you should avoid low volume "mom and pop" type stations like the plague. In EVERY case, the higher volume the station and the quicker the turnover of the product the better the gas you will get. A station getting daily deliveries will nearly always have better gas than one getting deliveries twice a week. Some warehouse club gas stations get as many as five deliveries a day their volume is so high. Strangely enough (at least for the "you get what you pay for" true believers) this often means the highest priced gas in an area is the worst, and the lowest price gas the best. Freshness is what counts, not which brand and its advertising.
Man that was a whole lot of important info right there! Impressive.

Why unimportant? How many people fill up their car everyday? Almost none. That means the fuel is days old in your tank. Some go weeks or months before refilling. Do they all have problems? No.

Debris in the fueling stations? Maybe some but cars can handle it. If not, you would have broken down cars littering the outside of these “bad gas station.”

Just a bunch of nonsense from swimmy.

Old 08-18-2018, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Zamir Chatur
You have the most incredibly incompetent mechanics in the world working on your car. They pulled the fuel pump and didn’t notice the dirty tank while working on the first time?? Inpossible for anyone with half a brain.

Clogged fuel lines? Did you see them clogged? They made that crap up. No way for debris big enough to clog the lines to get past the filters in tthe tank. They were covering up bad work with stories you fell hard for,

Old 08-18-2018, 09:39 AM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by lotusespritse

Man that was a whole lot of important info right there! Impressive.

Why unimportant? How many people fill up their car everyday? Almost none. That means the fuel is days old in your tank. Some go weeks or months before refilling. Do they all have problems? No.

Debris in the fueling stations? Maybe some but cars can handle it. If not, you would have broken down cars littering the outside of these “bad gas station.”

Just a bunch of nonsense from swimmy.
The "Texas Troll" strikes again! At no point did I say or infer that getting "bad gas" would kill anyone's car, much less everyone's car. Fuel filters work very well, and engines can burn some pretty bad stuff and survive. The discussion was purely about how the brand of gasoline was not the determining factor in the quality of gasoline at the pump. Whether the ignorant agree or not, every word of my "nonsense" is true. If the troll could only learn to read better he might not emit so much foolish hot air.

Old 08-19-2018, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Old 08-20-2018, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Swimref
The "Texas Troll" strikes again! At no point did I say or infer that getting "bad gas" would kill anyone's car, much less everyone's car. Fuel filters work very well, and engines can burn some pretty bad stuff and survive. The discussion was purely about how the brand of gasoline was not the determining factor in the quality of gasoline at the pump. Whether the ignorant agree or not, every word of my "nonsense" is true. If the troll could only learn to read better he might not emit so much foolish hot air.
Reread your original post. What a waste of storage and bandwidth! You should never post again in your life.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:16 PM
Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by lotusespritse

You have the most incredibly incompetent mechanics in the world working on your car. They pulled the fuel pump and didn’t notice the dirty tank while working on the first time?? Inpossible for anyone with half a brain.

Clogged fuel lines? Did you see them clogged? They made that crap up. No way for debris big enough to clog the lines to get past the filters in tthe tank. They were covering up bad work with stories you fell hard for,
I really don't understand what the hell is your problem, always playing the troll for everyone's post. First off, when the fuel lines are clogged and a fuel pump blows then it'll look like the fuel pump is just failing, of course they check the fuel lines just before and after the pump to see if there is any other reason for the failure (car was 4 years old). This was at the Jaguar Land Rover dealership btw. When it blew again they replaced it considering it was just a faulty part because they didnt realize the clog was just after the gas tank. The 3rd time then they checked everything, the fuel lines leading to the fuel rails as well as the fuel lines leading to the tank. The lines leading to the rails were clean, the lines leading closer to the tank were clogged, yes they did show me too. Since the clog was closer to the tank side, they pulled the tank and drained the gas to find all the dirt and debris in there, even leaves and yes they did show me that part too.

As i said before, i live in Vancouver, a lot of paid off inspectors for all types of industries work here. And for the gas quality, USA 91 octane fuel is actually better than our 94 octain fuel. We use 87 octane and add a **** ton of ethonal and other byproducts to make it 91 or 94 octane. As for the underground tanks conditions, in Vancouver is NOT uncommon for the underground tank to have a leak or something else go wrong. Most gas station tanks have never been changed out since they were first built.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:59 PM

The new fuel pump went in today and it could be my imagination but the car seems to be running better.

Etypephil (08-22-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 11:49 PM

I thought the fuel pump replacement had cured my stalling at a stoplight problem but it stalled again again tonight. I've also been experiencing intermittent starting issues - the engine begins to start when I push the button but immediately dies. Starts right up after that, same as the stoplight stalling. I'm beginning to think the problems are related. Has anyone experienced these issue?

Old 09-28-2018, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DavidXF
I thought the fuel pump replacement had cured my stalling at a stoplight problem but it stalled again again tonight. I've also been experiencing intermittent starting issues - the engine begins to start when I push the button but immediately dies. Starts right up after that, same as the stoplight stalling. I'm beginning to think the problems are related. Has anyone experienced these issue?
Something simple to try is to clean the throttle body and the MAFs. Make sure you buy cleaners specific to those parts from the auto parts store.

On a 1998 XJ8, which is completely unrelated to this car, I had a bad throttle body that caused random stalling, and it took 4 trips to the dealer before they figured that out (it was under warranty). Not saying it's definitely the throttle body, but add that to one of the many things that can cause random stalling.

Quick Reply: Car died after refueling - twice