XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

conical air filters

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 07:16 PM
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Default conical air filters

hi guys, asking for insight and comment regarding air box mods for 5.0 s/c engine.
at one point i saw a pic of the project 8 engine bay and i believe jag had used conical filters in that application. that got my wheels turning a bit as to the application of same in xf. I beleive thye took extra provisions in that project 8 car to duct fresh air to the vinicity of the filter in the engine bay.
i know there's been a lot of conversation back and forth re: stock filters vs. K&N and so forth, but that relatively limited to using the stock air box and ducting.
i just looks at all the twists and turns the air has to do to get through to the filter and then into the engine and i cannot imagine that the slightly cooler, but quite restricted, airflow from in front of the radiator is a trade up from eliminating all of that mess and just having twin high flow conical filters.
Again, i realize that the incoming air temp would be somewhat higher than when drawing from the front of the engine bay.
i also am considering not moving the MAF's from their likely calibrated positions - but i would have to modify the plastic housings by cutting them quite a bit, destroying the air box tops, to make a round connection point for a rubber coupling. if you look closely, this is the base shape once the other plastic is cut away.
thanks

Old 04-26-2018, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Have a squiz at this post in the F-Type forum: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...3/#post1883554
The conical air filters are only in the special Nurburgring Project 8 (and even then they are in special carbon fibre pods), the factory Project 8 still uses standard panel filters.
That said I reckon it is possible to swap out the XF air boxes for conical filters but it would take lots of time, money, research and trial & error!

The following users liked this post:
Adam J (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 08:35 PM
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Have a squiz at this post in the F-Type forum: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...3/#post1883554
The conical air filters are only in the special Nurburgring Project 8 (and even then they are in special carbon fibre pods), the factory Project 8 still uses standard panel filters.
That said I reckon it is possible to swap out the XF air boxes for conical filters but it would take lots of time, money, research and trial & error!
appreciate that link man, very interesting. seems that one XJ owner on that thread claims to have done this already.. I asked him for a picture

re: the xf, I'd say i could do the job in a half day, without much more cost that the conicals and adapter couplings, but I'd have to destroy and discard all the filter box tops and recycle the bottoms of the filter housings and the various intake duct pieces - or leave them in place and allow them to direct the fresh / cool air into the general vicinity of the conicals

Old 04-27-2018, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

Hey Adam. I'll repost my reply in this thread:

On the later Bosch models, the MAF tube is a separate piece that screws onto the air filter box. Once you remove the box assembly, you're left with a nice .75" lip for the cone filters to clamp on to. I made temporary "heat shields" out of plastic trash bins cut to fit, and some rubber molding along the edges. I also made cut-outs for the factory snorkels to shove air in there. I know it sounds SUPER red-neck, but it works and doesn't look bad. Chris over at Mina Gallery took a look at it and offered to take measurements for a proper heat shield, so I'll take him up on that soon.

The setup hasn't caused any codes and the fuel trims are perfect. No discernible difference in performance but the WHINE...oh boy, the whine is incredible.

Unfortunately, I think the older Denso models don't have MAF tubes separate from the air box so I'm not sure how you would set this up, but everything can easily be reverted back to stock on the Bosch units.

I didn't bother posting this before because historically the Jaguar Forum members have not been receptive to intake mods. The age-old arguments about paper vs cone filters, CAI vs stock, blah blah blah, always seem to come up. In no way am I saying this is any kind of "performance" mod. It is done purely for increased supercharger whine. And when I say "increased", I mean LOUD.

I'll try to get some pics this weekend.

Adam J (04-28-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member

These are the filters I used:

Amazon Amazon

So all in all, this mod cost around $90 for the filters from my local Autozone, around $15 in supplies, and a pleasant Saturday afternoon.

Last edited by XJ8JR; 04-27-2018 at 02:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by XJ8JR:
Adam J (04-28-2018), on1r1 (06-19-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member

I've also been working on another ridiculous idea...removing the headlight washers and creating an additional Hellcat-type intake tube. At speed, outside air would basically be rammed directly at the filter. At the very least it should help keep intake temps down. I'm not sure if that would work on the XF though.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member

Here's the setup. The foam bumpers on top of the "heat shields" don't look great but they work. I have to trim the ends a bit as you can see the hood is pinching them.

Attached Thumbnails conical air filters-img_3389.jpg  
Adam J (04-30-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 03:29 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Take a look at my thread. Had a local shop build an intake for me using cone filters. Like you mentioned above they did have to cut up the original air boxes.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...intake-203707/

Old 06-24-2018, 03:45 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
Hey Adam. I'll repost my reply in this thread:

On the later Bosch models, the MAF tube is a separate piece that screws onto the air filter box. Once you remove the box assembly, you're left with a nice .75" lip for the cone filters to clamp on to. I made temporary "heat shields" out of plastic trash bins cut to fit, and some rubber molding along the edges. I also made cut-outs for the factory snorkels to shove air in there. I know it sounds SUPER red-neck, but it works and doesn't look bad. Chris over at Mina Gallery took a look at it and offered to take measurements for a proper heat shield, so I'll take him up on that soon.

The setup hasn't caused any codes and the fuel trims are perfect. No discernible difference in performance but the WHINE...oh boy, the whine is incredible.

Unfortunately, I think the older Denso models don't have MAF tubes separate from the air box so I'm not sure how you would set this up, but everything can easily be reverted back to stock on the Bosch units.

I didn't bother posting this before because historically the Jaguar Forum members have not been receptive to intake mods. The age-old arguments about paper vs cone filters, CAI vs stock, blah blah blah, always seem to come up. In no way am I saying this is any kind of "performance" mod. It is done purely for increased supercharger whine. And when I say "increased", I mean LOUD.

I'll try to get some pics this weekend.
Thanks for the confirmation. I had a feeling this was the case but couldn't find anything conclusive until now

Old 06-25-2018, 09:27 AM

So with the infromation above I decided to take a look at my air filters earlier and specifically the MAF sensor.

So there is a lip on the inside edge, about 2cm in length (sorry I didn't measure) perfect for a filter to clamp onto. I also noticed that on my car the inside of the air box had a removable piece with a small trumpet and I screwed directly to the MAF.

Last edited by Puntoboy; 06-25-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Reaxions (12-14-2021)
Old 06-25-2018, 09:59 AM

Here's the setup. The foam bumpers on top of the "heat shields" don't look great but they work. I have to trim the ends a bit as you can see the hood is pinching them.
Do you have the dimensions of those filters please?

Old 06-26-2018, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Puntoboy
Do you have the dimensions of those filters please?
Here's the amazon link:
Amazon Amazon

Your MAF tube is the same as mine, so you're good to go.

Old 06-30-2018, 05:33 AM

Here's the amazon link:
https://www.amazon.com/Spectre-Perfo...iglink21907-20

Your MAF tube is the same as mine, so you're good to go.
Thanks. I ordered two of these yesterday, which arrive today. Fingers crossed.
Amazon Amazon

Old 05-30-2023, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar XFR 5.0 air intake

Hi XJ8JR, I appreciate this was years ago but I'm looking to do exactly what you did with your XJR's air intake to my XFR 5.0. Any chance you can make a quick guide with links to everything including the heat shield? Would be much appreciated!

Old 05-31-2023, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

I used Spectre 9732 filters. Depending on what year your XFR is, you may or may not be able to use your current MAF sensor tubes. As for the headshield, I just measured and cut up some small plastic trashbins, then put some pipe insulation along the top edge where they meet the bonnet. Later, I covered the engine side of the "shields" with Thermo-Tec 13575 insulation. I can't tell you if it really made any difference though. But I've been running this setup now for 5 years with no issues. The supercharger is so loud it sounds like an ambulance siren sometimes.