XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Custom air intake for 5.0 v8 Supercharged - made a big difference!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

We obviously have the snorkels to reduce the intake sound. Wondering if the accordion tubing does the same or if it's just to make it easier to install?

Been wanting someone to do the water/meth injection as well. I thought about what it would take and decided that I didn't want to worry whether there was anything in the tank when I was just driving around (worried about the motor burning out) and then I'd also have to figure out where to put the tank that would be easy to fill and not take up my trunk space. Also don't know enough about it to determine whether I'd have to change my tune to make more power or whether the ecu would alter things to make more power automatically. Anyone have any knowledge on this?

The following users liked this post:
WRXtranceformed (09-29-2014)
Old 09-29-2014, 12:59 PM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
We obviously have the snorkels to reduce the intake sound. Wondering if the accordion tubing does the same or if it's just to make it easier to install?

Been wanting someone to do the water/meth injection as well. I thought about what it would take and decided that I didn't want to worry whether there was anything in the tank when I was just driving around (worried about the motor burning out) and then I'd also have to figure out where to put the tank that would be easy to fill and not take up my trunk space. Also don't know enough about it to determine whether I'd have to change my tune to make more power or whether the ecu would alter things to make more power automatically. Anyone have any knowledge on this?
It has been a while, but I know people who have converted their washer fluid reservoir into their WI/MI tank. Subaru people used to convert their intercooler sprayer reservoirs. In our cars we could probably mount one in the big space in the boot for the spare tire (mine is removed anyway), or against the back of the rear seats. You would almost definitely want a retune to take advantage of it. There are some really good systems out there with built in safeguards in case there is a line failure or you run out of fluid. Some people also had them,wired up to only spray meth when you were at full throttle, which helps to preserve it. It's definitely a really safe way to make power and it keeps your engine really clean (I talked to a builder who broke down a motor that had been using meth injection and he said it was pristine, almost like it had been steam cleaned)...it's just not one of those things you want to cheap out on regarding safety components.

2010 Kyanite XFR (09-29-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 03:51 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Regarding the snorkels/resonators on the intake; i also lamented the lack of S/C whine, so I got myself some industrial strength plastic epoxy (rated at 3250 psi) and crafted some thick plastic disks from an old front license plate holder and blocked up the holes. Improved the S/C sound coming into the car at mid/high RPM by about 30% (though not nearly as good as my friend's CTS-V). I'd say it's a slight improvement on the sound. No discernible difference in performance.. Best of all, still looks completely stock.

2010 Kyanite XFR (10-10-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member

I thought about doing something like that but since you've done it I have a question. Do you only hear more whine when hard on it in the mid/upper rpm range or is it noticeable at lower rpms when just cruising? My car seems to get quieter in the upper rpms so more whine would be good.

aliensporez (10-09-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 06:25 AM

I thought about doing something like that but since you've done it I have a question. Do you only hear more whine when hard on it in the mid/upper rpm range or is it noticeable at lower rpms when just cruising? My car seems to get quieter in the upper rpms so more whine would be good.
Cruising there there is a slight increase in sound, and even that is barely audible. The only time I noticed it being a bit louder was right after I first started the car after closing off the snorkels because I was used to zero intake sound at idle, and now there was a tiny bit. But even then it was more of a slight 'whoosh' sound at idle/low rpms. It's so slight, I don't even notice it now.

I'll try and shoot a video so you can hear it, but I have resonator delete + Mina axle-back, so not sure how much you'll hear over the growl of the exhaust (which sounds awesome, btw).

2010 Kyanite XFR (10-10-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member

Don't worry about the video. Just wanted to make sure the 30% increase wasn't across the board.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:14 AM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Which holes lead to the silencers? Any chance you took pics during the process?

Old 10-12-2014, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
Which holes lead to the silencers? Any chance you took pics during the process?
They're not hard to spot. Pull off the intake tubes, look inside, and you'll see the holes. Each tube has two silencers, one on each end. So there will be a total of four holes to close.

The following 2 users liked this post by aliensporez:
2010 Kyanite XFR (10-12-2014), WRXtranceformed (10-12-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 08:17 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by aliensporez
They're not hard to spot. Pull off the intake tubes, look inside, and you'll see the holes. Each tube has two silencers, one on each end. So there will be a total of four holes to close.
Maybe I am slow are you referring to the "L" shaped pieces of plastic that are between the throttle body and air boxes?

Old 10-25-2014, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by boiler
Maybe I am slow are you referring to the "L" shaped pieces of plastic that are between the throttle body and air boxes?
Yes. There are four. Two are on top, and two on the bottom (the top ones circled)

Attached Thumbnails Custom air intake for 5.0 v8 Supercharged - made a big difference!-lead5-2012-jaguar-xfr-review.jpg  
Old 10-25-2014, 08:38 AM

Yes. There are four. Two are on top, and two on the bottom (the top ones circled)
That's what i thought but on mine i can only find three of those. The two on top and a larger one on the bottom on the passenger side before the throttle body.

What did you use to plug yours?

Old 10-25-2014, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by boiler
That's what i thought but on mine i can only find three of those. The two on top and a larger one on the bottom on the passenger side before the throttle body.

What did you use to plug yours?
Maybe it is only three. I was going by memory.

You know the front license plate mount that comes with your Jag? Ya, I don't have that anymore... though technically parts of it are still on my Jag. I used it because it's REALLY thick plastic. I used JB Weld plastic epoxy (rated at 3200psi), though the one I had was black. The one on their website is off-white.

PlasticWeld | Quick Setting Epoxy

Old 10-25-2014, 02:34 PM

Maybe it is only three. I was going by memory.

You know the front license plate mount that comes with your Jag? Ya, I don't have that anymore... though technically parts of it are still on my Jag. I used it because it's REALLY thick plastic. I used JB Weld plastic epoxy (rated at 3200psi), though the one I had was black. The one on their website is off-white.

PlasticWeld | Quick Setting Epoxy
Gotcha i was thinking rubber grommets either way will work

Old 11-13-2014, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

Can anyone verify if the 5.0L air boxes outlets (near the MAF) are actually 2.5"? It seems odd that a 2.5" coupler would fit over the 5.0L air box outlets. The 4.2L Supercharged intake piping is 3" all the way through including the air box outlets.

Also, does anyone happen to know what size tubing is used for the two lines that connect into the intake piping? If I had to guess the smaller line might be 1/4" and the larger line might be 1/2".

Old 07-28-2015, 09:59 PM
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I would imagine if all this was benefit to breathing you think the engineer would have done this?
To each is own. I'll save my money and time and stick to factory specs.
Play if you must.
I had a friend who bought twenty dollar "resistor module" for his Mustang. He swears it get 30HP, and 10 more miles per gallon because the Ad states this.
Are you a believer?

Old 07-29-2015, 02:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

Oh come now, don't insult our intelligence by equating a replaced (far better flowing) induction pipe with a "resistor module".

Factory specs are fine, but don't pretend that there aren't considerable trade-offs made by manufacturers (and engineers) that can be exploited by people. They need to reduce induction noise for all the customers that don't want it, keep fuel consumption to a minimum, allow for operation in extreme altitudes and heat variances, as well as (most importantly) keeping cost down. Those of us "playing" with air intakes have none of these limitations.

Stick to the factory standard by all means, but don't automatically assume it's the best you'll get.

The following 4 users liked this post by davetibbs:
aliensporez (07-29-2015), Blackcoog (07-29-2015), JgaXkr (07-29-2015), RoketRdr (05-12-2019)
Old 07-29-2015, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by davetibbs
Oh come now, don't insult our intelligence by equating a replaced (far better flowing) induction pipe with a "resistor module".

Factory specs are fine, but don't pretend that there aren't considerable trade-offs made by manufacturers (and engineers) that can be exploited by people. They need to reduce induction noise for all the customers that don't want it, keep fuel consumption to a minimum, allow for operation in extreme altitudes and heat variances, as well as (most importantly) keeping cost down. Those of us "playing" with air intakes have none of these limitations.

Stick to the factory standard by all means, but don't automatically assume it's the best you'll get.
I'll add two more variables: NVH and ease of assembly. Most of us will accept an increase in NVH that most 'generic' Jaguar owners will not. One need only look at the intake runners to see the resonators Jaguar attached to the upper and lower sides of each of the runners. These act as resonation chambers to dampen the sound of the air rushing into the engine as well as dampen the whine of the supercharger. Unfortunately this also disturbs the smooth airflow into the engine. Smooth air moves easier than disturbed air.

Plus the intake runners have an accordion section whose sole purpose is to ease of assembly at the factory, ease of maintenance, and to allow for a lot of movement of the engine on the motor mounts. These also disturb the smooth flow of air, reducing the efficiency of the engine.

I have prepared all my parts to build myself this exact same intake. My digital calipers tell me that my custom intake will be 6% larger in volume than stock. Not much, right? But what my measurements don't show is that the interior of my new intake is absolutely smooth from MAF to throttle body, with no areas that could cause turbulence for the in-rushing air.

I have tuned and modified every car I've owned, and experience has taught me that correcting the restrictive intake plumbing always nets easy gains.

davetibbs (07-29-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by georgekale
I would imagine if all this was benefit to breathing you think the engineer would have done this?
To each is own. I'll save my money and time and stick to factory specs.
Play if you must.
I had a friend who bought twenty dollar "resistor module" for his Mustang. He swears it get 30HP, and 10 more miles per gallon because the Ad states this.
Are you a believer?
So... because your buddy is an idiot means you are going to expect any car mod to be a scam?

You need to do some searching on this forum before you drum up a old post and start bitching about it. A few have already verified increases in the MAF readings (higher air flow). I don't think anyone should expect large hp gains from an intake pipe. Any FI car will net easy gains when removing any type of air restriction (verified by MAF readings!) Besides, a lot of people just want more engine sound and something to make their car different.

Last edited by Blackcoog; 07-29-2015 at 07:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Blackcoog:
aliensporez (07-29-2015), davetibbs (07-29-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 02:37 PM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Absolutely spot on boys..........i'm a consultant engineer.....my current end client.....Jaguar, Landrover.

I can 100% tell you there are ALLWAYS performance sacrifices made in every car in production - even high end supercars will have. There are very strict guidelines that need to be met during concept design and testing phases and they have to be made taking into account tolerances and on top of that safety margins.

All tuners are doing is closing the gap which manufacturers cannot do......yes there are risks as outlined by the guys above but if your prepared to take the limits out of those margins, then damn right there will be gains..........

don't stop experimenting and tuning people its how we develop gains!!!!!!

aliensporez (07-31-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 03:16 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm exactly with damien, everyday I see high performance cars come in and out of my office from MB CLA45 to McLaren MP4. Its shocking some things you see on these cars that seem to obviously inhibit the power output of these high performance cars for standards that the OE needs to meet. Just a few small tweeks here and there can sometimes result in significant gains.

One recent example, my company recently started development on the new MB CLA45 and during initial testing we removed the filter housing and replaced it with a 4" inlet filter compared to the stock 2.625" filter still within the same enclosed factory airbox and saw 20 hp at the wheels. Our jaws dropped at such a cheap and simple change that produced huge dividends. sometimes you just have to try things and see what comes of them.

Quick Reply: Custom air intake for 5.0 v8 Supercharged - made a big difference!