XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Emergency OS mode

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 07:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Emergency OS mode

Anyone seen this?
know the fix?
Jag dealer has had my car all day, are charging $135 an hour and so far cant tell me whats wrong.

Photo of the center Info Screen.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:24 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

I can fix this

Facebook Post

Last edited by Cambo; 04-03-2019 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:02 AM

Good to know, but hard as you are in OZ and I’m in AZ 😉

Old 04-03-2019, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Cambo
jusy to be clear... reload not update?

Old 04-04-2019, 01:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Cambo may know a better way but if it is a real Jaguar dealer then I would hope they would know about this TSB and have access to the file mentioned in it.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:16 AM

Update:
JLR dealer said nothing wrong with car, fault caused by failing battery, I disagreed.

pop new battery in...... fault came back immediately.

”told you so” was my reply, he said they would upgrade the software but want $580 to do it.

told them if a newer version of software is available it’s because of a known fault therefore should be free, he insists its chargeable.

dont know how to proceed now.

should i call JLR customer services?

Old 04-04-2019, 05:53 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by Lord_P
jusy to be clear... reload not update?
Yes, re-load the original operating system to the screen, as explained in the TSB posted by u102768

It's not an update. The operating system in the screen has crashed, got corrupted, so it has to be re-loaded.

The only way that works is the USB method, as described in the TSB, trying to re-load it with SDD is a waste of time.

The following users liked this post:
Lord_P (04-04-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo
Yes, re-load the original operating system to the screen, as explained in the TSB posted by u102768

It's not an update. The operating system in the screen has crashed, got corrupted, so it has to be re-loaded.

The only way that works is the USB method, as described in the TSB, trying to re-load it with SDD is a waste of time.
Thank you, the used car dealer I purchased the car from is taking care of the issue - he has sent the car to another JLR Dealership who actually know about Jags.
Seems JLR of Scottsdale AZ are as much use as "**** on a fish".

Old 04-09-2019, 05:06 PM

Update,
Central unit was flashed and reinstalled.
All was tested and seemed ok - odd error on drivers window, Auto Close didn't work, only manual.

Fixed the window issue by manually opening, manually closing then using auto close on all 3 other windows one at a time then the drivers window started to work with auto open/close function.

2 days later the error came back

Not as prevalent as before but still random.

Is going back to the used car dealer this weekend. he can have it all next week.

Old 04-22-2019, 02:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi, I’m reading this thread with anticipation that a resolution can be found as I seem to have the exact same fault on my 2008 XKR. It started about 2 yrs ago with occasional frozen screen with leaping Jaguar image, then progressed to intermittently show the emergency OS “PALMYRA” screen or, as I now refer to it, the white screen of death!!!!!

I now get this about 50% of the time. Sometimes it’s waiting for me when I unlock the car and on other occasions I get to play infotainment “roulette” on startup. The car doesn’t do a lot of miles, but I regularly use a trickle charger and it always fires up with plenty of verve so, if it’s a battery fault, I guess it’s more than an issue of simply losing charge?

Sadly this issue is really taking the shine out of my Jaguar ownership experience as I like everything on my cars to work as designed, but am nervous about handing it over to a garage who could spend days hunting (at my cost) and not find anything conclusive.

I’m planning to replace the battery as this seems to be frequently cited as a potential root cause, but I’d really like to hear from anyone that’s conclusively and permanently resolved this issue.

Many thanks in advance for much valued advice.

Regards, Rich (based in West Sussex, UK)

Old 04-22-2019, 02:52 PM

Forgot to mention that the VIN is B25588 so not within the range mentioned in the technical bulletin

Old 04-22-2019, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Horshamrich
Hi, I’m reading this thread with anticipation that a resolution can be found as I seem to have the exact same fault on my 2008 XKR. It started about 2 yrs ago with occasional frozen screen with leaping Jaguar image, then progressed to intermittently show the emergency OS “PALMYRA” screen or, as I now refer to it, the white screen of death!!!!!

I now get this about 50% of the time. Sometimes it’s waiting for me when I unlock the car and on other occasions I get to play infotainment “roulette” on startup. The car doesn’t do a lot of miles, but I regularly use a trickle charger and it always fires up with plenty of verve so, if it’s a battery fault, I guess it’s more than an issue of simply losing charge?

Sadly this issue is really taking the shine out of my Jaguar ownership experience as I like everything on my cars to work as designed, but am nervous about handing it over to a garage who could spend days hunting (at my cost) and not find anything conclusive.

I’m planning to replace the battery as this seems to be frequently cited as a potential root cause, but I’d really like to hear from anyone that’s conclusively and permanently resolved this issue.

Many thanks in advance for much valued advice.

Regards, Rich (based in West Sussex, UK)
so update on mine:
software Flashed, issue went away for a few weeks, was told the issue was a weak battery that was the root cause.
Then it came back, as I said above...

so ive been away with work and the dealers had the car the whole time, what I’ve been told is that they flashed it again and the issue came back, this was done 3 times last week, each time the corruption came back.

Jag have now said the console unit itself is damaged and is self corrupting.

so I’m waiting for a new unit to be shipped over from the UK, luckily I’m away again so they can keep the car until the new unit arrives.

ill report back when I get back from my trip.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:05 AM

Ouch, that sounds expensive, so let’s hope the dealer finally figured out the root cause. I’ll be thinking lucky thoughts for you .....

The following users liked this post:
Lord_P (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 02:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

I regularly use a trickle charger
Er... I hope not as it may gradually kill the battery - but what device is it?

Old 04-23-2019, 04:39 AM

I periodically use a CTEK MXS 5.0 if I haven’t used the car for a few weeks (https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/mxs-5-0), but don’t leave it connected for more than 24hrs at a time. Hopefully this only does the battery good?

Old 04-25-2019, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

The ctek should be fine.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:57 AM

I checked my battery and found it’s date of manufacture is 2007, which means it’s the original battery!!! I’m going to replace this during the next few weeks and wondered whether there’s any downside (or upside) to getting a more modern AGM battery instead of the original EFB type, especially as I mainly do infrequent short journeys?

Old 04-27-2019, 02:35 PM

I checked my battery and found it’s date of manufacture is 2007, which means it’s the original battery!!! I’m going to replace this during the next few weeks and wondered whether there’s any downside (or upside) to getting a more modern AGM battery instead of the original EFB type, especially as I mainly do infrequent short journeys?
keep us posted, mine is still in the garage, still waiting for the replacement screen unit.

Old 04-27-2019, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

I put an agm in mine and it has been great

Note the battery cradle is a metal bracket that screws through the floor of the car. So the bolt rusts and can get stuck. Would soak in penetrating oil in advance. Look underneath and you'll see it poking through
If you break the bolt as I did search for my post on how to get it out. There is also a v cheap replacement as ford uses the same ones so it was only a few dollars on eBay!

Old 05-11-2019, 06:46 AM

So, the good news is I’ve replaced the battery and ruled that out as a possible root cause, but the bad news is I still have a screen full of code !!! Next step is to replace the screen and I wonder whether anyone knows if the XK and XF (from the same year) share the same part as used XK screens seem to cost five times what you can pick up XF screens for?

Quick Reply: Emergency OS mode