XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Forward alert, Dynamic mode and Sport mode.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 03:51 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Forward alert, Dynamic mode and Sport mode.

Couple of questions for you veterans.

First of all, I have turned forward alert on a couple times but it doesn't seem to do anything, I have changed the distance also, how do I verify it works and whats it supposed to do? Manual isnt clear.

In what situations are you guys using dynamic mode and when are times you suggest not to use it..

I haven't used sport mode much but is this something you would limit to freeway use? Is there any bad times to change in and out of this mode, can it cause damage or something changing in and out while driving etc?

Lastly when braking to a full stop at low/moderate speed, there seems to be a little jump each time before complete stop what usually causes this? I know I need to flush brake fluid and PS, could this be it?

Old 08-09-2016, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by webshark
Couple of questions for you veterans.

First of all, I have turned forward alert on a couple times but it doesn't seem to do anything, I have changed the distance also, how do I verify it works and whats it supposed to do? Manual isnt clear.

In what situations are you guys using dynamic mode and when are times you suggest not to use it..

I haven't used sport mode much but is this something you would limit to freeway use? Is there any bad times to change in and out of this mode, can it cause damage or something changing in and out while driving etc?

Lastly when braking to a full stop at low/moderate speed, there seems to be a little jump each time before complete stop what usually causes this? I know I need to flush brake fluid and PS, could this be it?
The forward alert you are speaking of is the adaptive cruise control. When cruise control is enabled, it will keep you a certain distance from the car in front of you, then resume your speed once the other vehicle is out of the way. You use the distance to tell it how far back to follow.

I use dynamic mode all the time. It gives me better throttle response/control and changes the suspension damping to be more controlled, which gets rid of a lot of the wheel flutter over crappy roads.

Sport mode is great when you want to go down a windy road and either use the paddles or have the auto transmission shift for you. The auto mode works very well for this. And remember that in Sport, you can hit the rev limiter when using the paddles. In Drive, it will shift for you even if you are using the pedals. You can switch in and out of sport mode as you choose.

And the jump when coming to a stop, I would assume it's the car downshifting. Put it in drive and use the paddles. Do a stop as you have been feeling the jump and watch the gear indicator in the gauges. If you feel the jump when it goes into second you'll know why. Then I'd get the transmission fluid changed because it shouldn't do that. If you're in Sport mode it will shift into first and you can feel that one and nothing is wrong per se.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

Actually Forward Alert can be engaged without ACC being on. It uses the same radar to watch your speed and distance from the vehicle in front. If you come up too fast it flashes an alert in the driver information centre. According to my manual it won't actually apply the brakes for you but it will pre-charge the lines so you stand a better chance of not running into something. Of course that probably means whoever is behind you will run into the back of you....

Old 08-09-2016, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by stmcknig
Actually Forward Alert can be engaged without ACC being on. It uses the same radar to watch your speed and distance from the vehicle in front. If you come up too fast it flashes an alert in the driver information centre. According to my manual it won't actually apply the brakes for you but it will pre-charge the lines so you stand a better chance of not running into something. Of course that probably means whoever is behind you will run into the back of you....
Is that for all model years? If so, I learned something. Not that I'll ever use it, but good to know.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
Is that for all model years? If so, I learned something. Not that I'll ever use it, but good to know.
I'm pretty sure as I read some things on here before about people using cause it has that switch to turn it on independent of the ACC, but when mine is one I haven't seen it give me any warnings etc

Old 08-09-2016, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member

Yep it's independent of ACC being "on" - but my guess is if you don't have ACC fitted, you don't have the radar in the lower valence so Forward Alert isn't available.

The only way to test is to come up behind something fast preparing to stop fast ;-) It beeps at you and flashes something in red in the driver display - FORWARD ALERT if I recall. If it's turned on, there's a little yellow triangle in the bottom right of one of the dials....

Old 08-09-2016, 03:21 PM

Yep it's independent of ACC being "on" - but my guess is if you don't have ACC fitted, you don't have the radar in the lower valence so Forward Alert isn't available.

The only way to test is to come up behind something fast preparing to stop fast ;-) It beeps at you and flashes something in red in the driver display - FORWARD ALERT if I recall. If it's turned on, there's a little yellow triangle in the bottom right of one of the dials....
Yea I definitely have it fitted as I have ACC as do all 2010 XFR's. The light comes on when it's turned in, but maybe I haven't approached anything fast enough. You can also set the range of forward alert..

Old 08-09-2016, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by webshark
Yea I definitely have it fitted as I have ACC as do all 2010 XFR's. The light comes on when it's turned in, but maybe I haven't approached anything fast enough. You can also set the range of forward alert..
From my understanding all 2010 XFR's do not come with ACC. It was one of a few options that year. Forgot what the other one or two were though.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
From my understanding all 2010 XFR's do not come with ACC. It was one of a few options that year. Forgot what the other one or two were though.
When view options on cars.com for that year model it shows that everything is fitted with the XFR where it was an optional on all other models below the R.. In 2010 they where pretty generous and seemed to add everything to the r model for no additional cost.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member

I believe that was the one option box available on the XFR, to ACC or to not ACC. I wouldn't put much faith in cars.com ;-)

Old 08-09-2016, 06:50 PM

I believe that was the one option box available on the XFR, to ACC or to not ACC. I wouldn't put much faith in cars.com ;-)
Ah well glad mine has it in that case although I can't find much use for it.. The forward alert did work today though.. So that's sweet