XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Fuel door won't open

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel door won't open

I've got a problem with the fuel door not opening when it is pushed in. I heard a few XFs have had this now. Any of you guys know of a wire on the inside of the trunk that can be pulled to manually open the fuel door? I've looked but just don't see it. (and unfortunately the car is on "E"!!)

Appreciate any help.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts
Default RE: Fuel door won't open

Sorry to hear about your problem that reminds me of pre '91 XJ40s . Yep there should be a manual switch but dunno 100% just pull down your trunk carpet and peruse at around the hinges ,fenders etc .
In XJ40, there was a white colored switch to the left side of the car (same as where the fuel filler door located )

Old 03-22-2015, 10:35 AM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

When I went out to fill the car up this morning, I was unable to open the fuel cover too. I have tried at home but the cover won't budge. I am out of gas so driving to the dealer isn't possible. Do I pry the door open and have the dealer replace? I did drive the car thru a car wash on Friday, now the temp is below freezing. Could the door be frozen. When I pry the cover with a screwdriver it move slightly but does not open and remains in the closed position.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:31 AM
Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts

I would try some of the spray for freeing frozen door locks followed by a heat gun or hair dryer. If that doesn't work, have it towed to the dealer.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:33 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I found the cover frozen a few times during winter. If not

My rundown on filling it up goes:
Take the key fob with me
Unlock the car while I'm by the gas lid cover
Quickly push slightly left of center of lid in with two fingers and quickly move them away.

If you hear the lid try to open, it might be frozen from the car wash.

I think everyone here has their special touch/way to finesse with their gas lid. lol

Jag dealer I bought the car from refuses to wash it in 32F or below temps as he had some customers come in with their plastic door handles broken off/ fuel lids in hand after a wash in the winter.

Old 03-22-2015, 12:06 PM

Thank you for the hair dryer suggestion, that worked. I kept pressing on the door lid while I used the hair dryer and the door popped open. I removed the rubber string to the cap as it had broken and I did not want it interfering with the door opening mechanism. I did not see any frozen water. When ever I have a problem with my Jaguars I always first turn to my friends on the Forum, Your great!

Old 03-22-2015, 12:54 PM

I spayed the gas cover latch with lithium grease. When you press down on the gas cover door, the latch release and the door opens. The latch mechanism was stuck and the blow dryer must have released the latch to free the door open. See attached pictures of the latch after I sprayed the lithium grease.
Another problem I have with my XF is when I fill the car up the gas gauge only shows 3/4 full. When I filled the car up just now it took 11.9 gallons when the car indicated I only had 53 miles left in the tank. Any way I can calibrate the gas gauge, it does not seem to be very accurate.

Attached Thumbnails  Fuel door won't open-img_0214.jpg    Fuel door won't open-img_0212.jpg    Fuel door won't open-img_0213.jpg  
Old 03-22-2015, 05:25 PM
Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by stremsjg
I spayed the gas cover latch with lithium grease. When you press down on the gas cover door, the latch release and the door opens. The latch mechanism was stuck and the blow dryer must have released the latch to free the door open. See attached pictures of the latch after I sprayed the lithium grease.
Another problem I have with my XF is when I fill the car up the gas gauge only shows 3/4 full. When I filled the car up just now it took 11.9 gallons when the car indicated I only had 53 miles left in the tank. Any way I can calibrate the gas gauge, it does not seem to be very accurate.
I had an intermittent fuel gauge failure issue that was heat related.

Basically when I drove the car enough to get the exhaust really hot the gauge read empty.

The solution was a new sender and I also made a heat shield. It has stayed fixed.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:21 AM

I am having a gas cover stuck issue as well on my 2012 XF...there doesn't seem to be a manual pull mechanism in the trunk anywhere that I can see, which seems to lack foresight. It is not freezing temperatures here yet so it is not frozen. There must be a way to access the release mechanism. I'm thinking i may have to take off the wheel well cover but would rather not have to do that if in fact i'm just not seeing the manual release option. Any suggestions? Fortunately, I have a half tank of gas but I don't live anywhere close to a Jaguar dealer. I suppose my local mechanic, who is great, would be able to assist.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:09 AM
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Simcoe1
I am having a gas cover stuck issue as well on my 2012 XF...there doesn't seem to be a manual pull mechanism in the trunk anywhere that I can see, which seems to lack foresight. It is not freezing temperatures here yet so it is not frozen. There must be a way to access the release mechanism. I'm thinking i may have to take off the wheel well cover but would rather not have to do that if in fact i'm just not seeing the manual release option. Any suggestions? Fortunately, I have a half tank of gas but I don't live anywhere close to a Jaguar dealer. I suppose my local mechanic, who is great, would be able to assist.
Just keep trying until you can get it to open and once open liberally allly some lithium grease to the mechanism (and reapply at least monthly during the winter months).

Old 06-17-2022, 05:08 PM

Hello,
a lot of comments and report of the same fault here, but no solution.

Old 06-22-2022, 05:36 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Quixote28
Hello,
a lot of comments and report of the same fault here, but no solution.
Have a look at this thread