XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Jaguar XF Black Chrome Trim, Emblems and Grille

Old 03-28-2015, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar XF Black Chrome Trim, Emblems and Grille

Hi all,

I recently smoked out the tail lights on my 2010 XF and really like the look. I'm thinking of taking it one step further and replacing the chrome trim, grille, and emblems with black chrome equivalents.

Does anyone know of a place where such parts can be purchased? I am having trouble locating anything besides the grille in black.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by andystren
Hi all,

I recently smoked out the tail lights on my 2010 XF and really like the look. I'm thinking of taking it one step further and replacing the chrome trim, grille, and emblems with black chrome equivalents.

Does anyone know of a place where such parts can be purchased? I am having trouble locating anything besides the grille in black.
I had mine painted gloss black at my body shop. I left the badges chrome.
Jaguar XF Black Chrome Trim, Emblems and Grille-image.jpg

The following users liked this post:
NuJagLuvr (03-30-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 01:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nice work!

Nice XF Philhef...The Jag looks amazing! Certainly something to think about!

Old 03-30-2015, 06:25 AM
Veteran Member

What color is your XF?
Oh, and I've seen the black window trim on either ebay motors usa or UK. But Its difficult to replace and I don't think it was the entire set, just the curved rear window pieces.
You can also have a good trim shop wrap the trim with vinyl black wrap, but be warned the gloss wrap scratches and dulls in about a year.
If the body shop sands and usus a self etching primer, the paint holds great. Mines been 3 years now.
Oh, lastly, I painted the roof as well, really sets off the black pack.
Don't forget to post pics!

Old 03-30-2015, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member

Jaguar XF Black Chrome Trim, Emblems and Grille-image.jpg
If you have another car you can drive for about two weeks, you can send your factory lights to HID Illusionz in New Jersey and have him customize the interior with black. Best thing I did.
They're really easy to take out and. Was quick. Just contact him and make sure he makes time to get them done quickly.
I also had my trim shop polish and clearcoat them when I got them back. Look brand new.

The following users liked this post:
andystren (03-30-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 08:53 AM

That really looks awesome philhef. I want a solution a little bit less permanent than paint, considering I might sell the car in another couple of years. I would worry that the buyer might not go for all the permanent changes.

I had heard about plasti dip, and was considering that as an option (maybe do a dark smoke color for the grille and back emblem/chrome piece). I know the plasti dip can be peeled off to reveal the original chrome in the future if I need to go that route.

The headlights look sick. I may need to look into some local shops in Houston that do that sort of thing.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:11 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Philhef,

What NC body shop did you use to paint the chrome? I'm in Charlotte and hoping you can recommend someone who does good work. And if you don't mind me asking, how much did they charge to have it done? You can PM me if that works better. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SugarChev
Philhef,

What NC body shop did you use to paint the chrome? I'm in Charlotte and hoping you can recommend someone who does good work. And if you don't mind me asking, how much did they charge to have it done? You can PM me if that works better. Thanks in advance.
No problem. It was Custom Body Works on Tate Blvd. I think he charged about 500 but that was two years ago so he may be a bit more. It was the window trim, front blades, rear boot trim, roof and leaper. I had already purchased the all black grille from Mina Gallery.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by andystren
That really looks awesome philhef. I want a solution a little bit less permanent than paint, considering I might sell the car in another couple of years. I would worry that the buyer might not go for all the permanent changes.

I had heard about plasti dip, and was considering that as an option (maybe do a dark smoke color for the grille and back emblem/chrome piece). I know the plasti dip can be peeled off to reveal the original chrome in the future if I need to go that route.

The headlights look sick. I may need to look into some local shops in Houston that do that sort of thing.
I totally understand. I'd suggest finding a hoot trim shop that does vinyl wrap. It's the better option to plastidip on the chrome. My brother did his chrome with plastidip and it hasn't faired well.
The vinyl is as easy to reverse and I think holds up better.
On a resale note, the black pack previously owned cars sell faster than the stock chrome cars according to my dealer. Especially if you sell yourself to someone wanting a sport look. Even can bring a bit more $$.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by philhef
I totally understand. I'd suggest finding a hoot trim shop that does vinyl wrap. It's the better option to plastidip on the chrome. My brother did his chrome with plastidip and it hasn't faired well.
The vinyl is as easy to reverse and I think holds up better.
On a resale note, the black pack previously owned cars sell faster than the stock chrome cars according to my dealer. Especially if you sell yourself to someone wanting a sport look. Even can bring a bit more $$.
That does make sense with the resale - find the right buyer that agrees with your sense of taste, and it'll sell more quickly than an unmodified version. I have a place that would be able to do the vinyl wrap (they did my tail lights), but that wouldn't work for the logo as I understand it. I may go this route for the trim and just plasti dip the logo/grille...

Old 04-01-2015, 03:01 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have to respectfully disagree with Phil here. Vinyl wrap for the trim usually looks terrible. It doesn't hold very long as it is just thin pieces. All people I have ever heard say that PlastiDip doesn't hold up well are people that did it themselves, incorrectly. Mine has survived the Wisconsin winters no problem and if it can survive the torment of salt on our roads it should hold up to almost anything. I did most of my trim and emblems in flat black and the grill mesh in a gloss black.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Thor82
I have to respectfully disagree with Phil here. Vinyl wrap for the trim usually looks terrible. It doesn't hold very long as it is just thin pieces. All people I have ever heard say that PlastiDip doesn't hold up well are people that did it themselves, incorrectly. Mine has survived the Wisconsin winters no problem and if it can survive the torment of salt on our roads it should hold up to almost anything. I did most of my trim and emblems in flat black and the grill mesh in a gloss black.

Ok, not to diminish your results, my brother had is professionally plastidiped and within a year, had to remove it. Started lifting and continued to peel with every wash. Wheels held up fine but most of the chrome had problems. I have satin black vinyl wrap on my porsche and GLK350 and had no problems for 3 years. Also professionally done. Gloss black and flat tend to show Mars and scratches but satin still looks great.
I fact, I'm having my XK8 custom striped with the same vinyl wrap next week. Stylized Union Jack in satin black. Same wrap.
It's down to the prep and ability to edge properly and as with everything, some shops are better than others.
I still say paint. My XK8 was black packed within a few weeks of buying it and no regrets! I have a slits of people that want to buy it if I sell.
Lol

Old 04-02-2015, 01:18 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by philhef
Ok, not to diminish your results, my brother had is professionally plastidiped and within a year, had to remove it. Started lifting and continued to peel with every wash. Wheels held up fine but most of the chrome had problems. I have satin black vinyl wrap on my porsche and GLK350 and had no problems for 3 years. Also professionally done. Gloss black and flat tend to show Mars and scratches but satin still looks great.
I fact, I'm having my XK8 custom striped with the same vinyl wrap next week. Stylized Union Jack in satin black. Same wrap.
It's down to the prep and ability to edge properly and as with everything, some shops are better than others.
I still say paint. My XK8 was black packed within a few weeks of buying it and no regrets! I have a slits of people that want to buy it if I sell.
Lol
Haha that's amazing that we have exactly different results. I did everything myself. On my Cadillac STS, I did all the chrome trim in vinyl and painted my grill and rims. The vinyl constantly pulled up and I would have to redo it. I PlastiDipped everything on my XF and have had none of those problems. I have heard of others having problems, but the issue is always them doing it too thin overall or doing just a couple thick coats.
Now you got me thinking of doing my roof or even just my mirrors in a flat Union Jack!
I do agree though, painting is the best solution.