XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Radiator fan control / AC not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator fan control / AC not working

Hello all
i have a 2011 XF Supercharged. The AC hasn’t been working well at idle or low speed. If moving at about 45 or more it works fine. Took it in and had it checked, was told coolant was fine, compressor working properly but fan is not working correctly. Any time AC is on the fan should spin, correct? It does not. As engine warms fan engages but seems to be on low.
I changed the fan but the new fan does exactly the same thing.
So now, what tells the fan when to engage and what speed to run?
is there a fan control relay or something?
any direction would be appreciated!

Old 08-10-2019, 01:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mikesxf
Hello all
i have a 2011 XF Supercharged. The AC hasn’t been working well at idle or low speed. If moving at about 45 or more it works fine. Took it in and had it checked, was told coolant was fine, compressor working properly but fan is not working correctly. Any time AC is on the fan should spin, correct? It does not. As engine warms fan engages but seems to be on low.
I changed the fan but the new fan does exactly the same thing.
So now, what tells the fan when to engage and what speed to run?
is there a fan control relay or something?
any direction would be appreciated!
I have exactly the same problem with my 2011 3.0TDV6. Did you ever get a reply to your question, I’m guessing there’s a fan control unit somewhere..?

Old 08-14-2019, 01:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have to replace the complete fan assembly buy a used good one for less than 500. New they cost about $900.00

Old 08-15-2019, 06:15 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Pressure switch

Originally Posted by Jkoogler
you have to replace the complete fan assembly buy a used good one for less than 500. New they cost about $900.00
I had the same issues. That it was the fan, then thought control unit, but it was just the pressure switch on the back of the compressor. Much cheaper fix. There was a tab for it.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:16 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

TSB for it....

Old 08-15-2019, 08:09 PM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Try pressure switch first.

New 2013 XF V8 5.0 Supercharged owner here. Purchased this vehicle on 05 July 19. I have yet to receive it from the dealer due to the same issue with the air conditioning which I witnessed on the initial test drive. At first they said it was the expansion valve under the dash so they pulled it (expensive) and replaced the valve. It still did not get cold while sitting at a light or idling. They then replace the fan and had the same results, no change. The next time I visited the Jaguar dealer the technician was putting the air compressor back in. He then told me that the pressure switch on the air compressor was faulty and replaced it. Bingo! It now works as it should.
I have had lots of waiting (patience) while this ordeal has gone on. Ordering and waiting on parts etc. When it left the Jaguar dealer it went to the high end collision center to have some minor scratches taken out of the rear corner panels. I found out today that it is complete but not yet ready to pick up. Turns out that the right rear wheel has had a repair (weld) done to it and after they put the new tires on it it began to slowly leak air. Much to my surprise they have now ordered a replacement rear wheel which should be delivered early next week. I was shocked when I learned that one 20" rear Draco wheel is $1,000.00.
I cannot tell you how excited I am to finally receive this beautiful vehicle. Having only driven it one time, the day I bought it, I have been a daily reader of this forum and have learned much. I imagine that I will have questions once I do finally receive my purchase. Thanks for sharing all you owners do here. First time Jaguar owner and Thank God the dealer is paying for all of this work to be done. There is no way on earth they have made any money on this. Lost money for sure. They will get an excellent review from me.
I don't mind waiting, it is going to be worth it.

Last edited by SunFlower; 08-15-2019 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:06 AM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Does the compressor switch control the fans under the hood as well? It seems mine are not coming on either.

How hard was it to replace? How much if it was dealer did it. Thanks if you can answer.

Old 08-17-2019, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

I've got this issue, although it's been that way since I got it regassed after engine rebuild so it's possible that it just didn't have enough gas put in?

Anyone know the TSB #?

Old 08-17-2019, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jssaab
Does the compressor switch control the fans under the hood as well? It seems mine are not coming on either.

How hard was it to replace? How much if it was dealer did it. Thanks if you can answer.
It must have something to do with controlling the fan speed also. They told me even after the new fan was installed they were getting the same symptoms (slow fan speeds)- not turning enough to keep it cool at low engine rpm's. As far as what it takes to replace it? I walked in when the technician had the vehicle lifted high off the ground and he was reinstalling the air compressor from underneath. As for how much? I can only tell you that I saw the initial invoice for pulling the dash and replacing the expansion valve which they told me was $1600.00. The new fan assembly from what I remember was $8-900.00. The total bill was nearly $2600.00 so the pressure switch had to be pretty inexpensive. Under $100.00 for sure. He showed it to me and it looked to be approximately 1-1/2" long and as round as a dime. Do you have to pull the compressor? Not having the vehicle in my possession yet I am unable to know that yet.
Good luck.

Old 08-17-2019, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by davetibbs
I've got this issue, although it's been that way since I got it regassed after engine rebuild so it's possible that it just didn't have enough gas put in?

Anyone know the TSB #?
The mechanic also thought that his air conditioning charging unit was not putting enough Freon in the system when he initially started to diagnose the problem (this was before the new fan and compressor pressure switch but after the expansion valve replacement). He figured that someone must hav walked by and bumped his charging station causing it to give bad readings on the recharge. This was not the case though. Within the next week the fan was replaced but still no different. The following week the pressure switch. If I was doing this myself you can bet I would replace the Pressure switch first. Just as VPinGA states "Much cheaper fix".

Last edited by SunFlower; 08-17-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

Found the TSB online with a bit of Googling (attached). Looks like you have to remove the compressor to change the valve, which means you have to drain the air conditioning system. Annoying I didn't even know about this valve or I'd have changed it out while rebuilding my engine

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Jaguar Aircon TSB.pdf (292.0 KB, 596 views)
The following users liked this post:
SunFlower (08-18-2019)
Old 06-04-2023, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by VPinGA
I had the same issues. That it was the fan, then thought control unit, but it was just the pressure switch on the back of the compressor. Much cheaper fix. There was a tab for it.

Where is it located and you have a picture what it looks like cuz I just put a new/use fan and it’s still overheating and I think that’s my problem

Old 12-15-2023, 04:13 PM

any updates on this Mike and Branden?