XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Jaguar XFR(2013) steering problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 04:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Jaguar XFR(2013) steering problems

Hello, this is the first time I'm posting on this forum. I joined the forum hoping to benefit from and contribute to the enrichment of this Jaguar community. Now, allow me to save your precious time and cut to the business.

Introduction
I received my XFR in late 2013, and I've recorded 25,000km as of now (around 16,000 miles.) Pretty fresh, meddled around on few track days followed by the maintenance days. I mainly drive the car for daily use, 20-30 mph, and rarely put it on a highway doing 100+mph (though I do some street racing with M5's in this case.)

Issues
I was riding on this machine one day, and decided to do a rather silly u-turn moving from right to left ([unnecessary weight shift,) which gave me some kind of metal-shattering noise and the unwound steering (suddenly became uncontrollable, steering wheel skewing to left.) The central tightness of the steering was all but gone, and I had to turn about 1.5 times more degree to get the same angle. I suspected that this would be some kind of tierod or ball joint bolt problem(in order words, some twist in axle) or something worse because my tyres were freshly equipped a month ago. So when I went to the service center, they only adjusted the alignment and said the problem was over.

Thing is I don't have the same grip I had before, and the handle still turns wider than before. I do not know if this is the steering wheel ratio being messed up, but I get this horizontal shakes from behind when I try to speed up. (did not happen before)

Summary
1. Very loose and unstable steering wheel after sudden weight shift with terrible rear response moving left and right
2. Problem of loose steering still persists after alignment; steering wheel angles 90 degrees east and west on bumpy roads. This isn't hyundai crap for god's sake!
3. The steering wheel does not become heavy enough even on 100+mph like it used to before.

Background Information
The After Service Center in East Asia for European makers is known to be rather dishonest and condescending, partly because the dealer takes too much time to sign the bill paid by the service center, but mainly because the A/S center tries to wait until the end of reliability session (3 years, can you believe that?) Also, people here including me do not have sufficient knowledge in terms of car care, unable to make decent claims.

Update
I will update the progress on the thread. Currently plan to visit private shops not acquainted to Jaguar service center or the dealer to get accurate information on the axle's condition.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:37 AM

Ah, forgot to add. It would be great to get some advice on this matter.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:41 AM

On a night near a shrine.