XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Lemons

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 11:33 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Lemons

In my quest for an XF, I've come across a couple of RAVs (ReAquired Vehicles), aka. Buybacks, aka Lemons. It's comforting to know that Brutal's only 30 minutes away, but I'd rather not become a sponsor. Still, I'm not ready to dismiss the fact that buying a lemon might be a good deal...

I asked Jaguar NA about one of the lemons in particular, and here's some of the response:

"Vehicles are not offered for sale after a buy back until they are certified as completely repaired. If a customer has any future issue with the repair concern involved in the buy back we recommend that they bring the vehicle to an authorized Jaguar retailer. Decisions on assistance with repairs are then made on a case by case basis."

The two XF's I've found are near the bottom of the price spectrum for comparable used cars; not nearly discounted enough for having "lemon" on the history reports. My basis for that is on MaseratiLife forum, a dealer was hocking his buybacks at deep discounts below the low end of the market.
2005 10K QP Every Option!!! $29900 - Maserati Forum

Recent threads about blown engines not being warrantied have me a little concerned about Jaguar NA leaving me twisting in the wind if problems (re)surface.

If anyone has any experience to share about purchasing a buyback, has insights as to what the dealer pays for one, or what the street value of a buyback is (now or future), I'd appreciate hearing it.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

If you plan on keeping it for a long time then it could be a good deal. I wouldn't get into one thinking you are only going to keep it for a few years. I think they put a 100k bumper to bumper warranty on them which is a huge plus. I heard that quite a few were marked as lemons due to the shifter issues until they figured out it was a cold solder joint in the circuit board under the console. As far as pricing they should be a few thousand lower than any thing similar with a clear title. People will treat them as a salvage titled car when you try to sell when really they shouldn't. Cars can get a lemon stamp for a minor issue that the dealer can't fix (at that time) as long as the customer complains enough.