XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Mina Exhaust (help)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 06:28 PM
Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Mina Exhaust (help)

Just put on my exhaust yesterday. First impression when outside of the vehicle it has a low rumble but not loud at all. But when I started driving my whole cabin is filled with a real low drone at 1500 RPM. cruising is fine but if I so much as tap the gas the drone begins. Is there something wrong with the exhaust I received? I read many reviews before buying and all were positive. Is this normal until break in?

Old 04-11-2013, 06:33 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Don't have one but I would say you either have body to pipe contact somewhere or its just the nature of the beast.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:42 PM
Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by cwood
Don't have one but I would say you either have body to pipe contact somewhere or its just the nature of the beast.
Thanks, I watched the shop put it on. They were very good and even bent the tabs that some have reported making noise. But I will check.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:22 AM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I have/had the same issue with my 2012 XFR. Luckily I am local to Mina and Chris had me come over to his shop. He looked at my installation and the tabs were not pushed back. So I went to his recommended muffler shop and they installed a new pair. Sound was somewhat better but it's still louder on the inside than with the stock mufflers. I have had them on now for several months. Using dynamic mode seems to help. Also, letting off the gas when you hit cruising speed - you may even save gas! But I think it's the nature of the beast. I go back and forth on what to do. But I get so many compliments on the exhaust note! Even from the service guys at the Jag dealer. I guess it's the price you pay for a sportier sound. I have gotten used to it and bet I would think the exhaust is too quiet if I go back to the factory set but I still may do that. I go back and forth as the exhaust note is sweat. Andrew in LA

Originally Posted by chXFS
Thanks, I watched the shop put it on. They were very good and even bent the tabs that some have reported making noise. But I will check.

Last edited by ajmarton; 04-12-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

The drone is normal.
If you don't like it now, it will get much less bearable as you drive a few thousand miles for them to break in.

I personally can't stand a drone in a vehicle, especially a luxury one. I would go back to OEM mufflers.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Executive
The drone is normal.
If you don't like it now, it will get much less bearable as you drive a few thousand miles for them to break in.

I personally can't stand a drone in a vehicle, especially a luxury one. I would go back to OEM mufflers.
Agreed!

I put the Mina exhaust on my XJ and regretted it. It wasn't really loud, but it is just not what a Luxury Jaguar is supposed to sound like. I find my '12 XF is very quiet, but if I really put the peddle to the metal, it has a very nice growl to it. I am not wealthy, but I really love a nice Jag and have worked hard all my life to be able to have a new one every once in a while. I just don't understand taking an expensive Jaguar and turning it into a "Hoopty"!! To each his own I guess.

The following 2 users liked this post by hlgeorge:
chuckh007 (04-14-2013), Executive (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 11:48 PM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Well I had the opportunity to drive a Maserati GT for a week and the exhaust note was intoxicating. It was the perfect blend and no drone sound within the cabin. In fact, I got a hold of the US Jag rep and told him that the Jag engineers should check it out. I personally think the exhaust note (exterior) is too soft on the XFR. But I agree that I don't like the drone sound associated with the aftermarket mufflers. Andrew in LA

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
Agreed!

I put the Mina exhaust on my XJ and regretted it. It wasn't really loud, but it is just not what a Luxury Jaguar is supposed to sound like. I find my '12 XF is very quiet, but if I really put the peddle to the metal, it has a very nice growl to it. I am not wealthy, but I really love a nice Jag and have worked hard all my life to be able to have a new one every once in a while. I just don't understand taking an expensive Jaguar and turning it into a "Hoopty"!! To each his own I guess.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

If you absolutely have to have a louder sounding car, you may want to look into an active exhaust system. This will allow you to cruise around with a stock sound, but at the flip of a switch, you can turn it into an exhaust monster.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am interested in this exhaust. Does anyone have anymore feedback?

Old 04-14-2013, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Apparently, most V8s have a tendency for droning at sub 2000 RPMs. Any free flowing exhaust, such as the Mina, will bring out that drone.

I put the Mina onto my '08XK and it droned quite a bit at low RPMs. With the 6 speed trannies, the low drone RPMs tend to correspond with freeway cruising RPMs. With the XK I also gained lots of documented high RPM power from the Mina but, lost a fair amount of low end torque. It now required me to shift down at low RPMs (1500) instead of being able to cleanly pull away in 6th gear. With the Mina you almost HAVE TO use your paddle shifters at low RPMs to get rid of the drone and to have decent pulling torque.

I was offered a good deal to install the Mina on my 2012 XJL and I turned it down. The last thing I wanted was a droning exhaust on my luxury cruiser. It is perfect as it is. Same goes for my new XF.

Albert

Old 04-14-2013, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Mina exhaust on my '12 XF and noticed a little drone but still very pleased with the exhaust note.

From my experience when going to an aftermarket exhaust you will introduce some level of drone at some RPM range(s). I currently also own a Mustang, Corvette & F350 diesel all with different brands of aftermarket exhaust and all will produce drone at some RPM ranges.

Just my 2 cents, think it comes down to personal preferences

Old 04-15-2013, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
If you absolutely have to have a louder sounding car, you may want to look into an active exhaust system. This will allow you to cruise around with a stock sound, but at the flip of a switch, you can turn it into an exhaust monster.
That is most likely the best solution.

Although, i find the exhaust on my NA 5 liter XF to be perfect. It's very quite when in the low RPM range, but once the loud pedal is pressed, i hear popping, crackling etc.

Jaguar designed it just right.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:38 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Audio volume turned up cures the drone of an AM exhaust....

Old 04-20-2013, 12:14 AM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

I have the spires exhaust system and I must say, I love the note and have been very happy with fit and finish. I have had it since 2010 and it doesn't drone. I have had different system with other car including borla. In many situations, the smaller the mufflers, the more the drone. IMHO

Old 04-22-2013, 10:50 AM
Kyu
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Redjaguar100
I have the spires exhaust system and I must say, I love the note and have been very happy with fit and finish. I have had it since 2010 and it doesn't drone. I have had different system with other car including borla. In many situations, the smaller the mufflers, the more the drone. IMHO
well Spires is very well made, Inspired by the OEM XFR system, just better flowing and lighter.

vs Mina's and Arden which is basically in-house design that is similar to Boral's design which explains the droning.

Not saying they are poorly designed but, it is not as sophisticated or dedicated design as it should be.

But that should explain a 600 Exhaust vs. Spires which is what.. 2.2k ? I forgot their cost now.

You get what you pay for,
Mina's exhaust is still a good exhaust, considering not many out there for us.

For now, I my self am sticking with OEM, it's still pretty loud when I step on it
but during city cruise it's nice and quiet.
I have a XF Supercharged, ultimate black, so it looks luxury and it should sound luxury as well.

If i had a White XFR, that's a complete different story, I'd sport the hell out of it lol