XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Multimedia doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multimedia doesn't work

Hello, I have a problem on my 2010 jaguar xf, the screen does not turn on, if I take off the battery cable and put back, the multimedia shows the jaguar logo and after 10 seconds turn off again , I already did the battery test and checked all connections, someone had the same problem before or has some advice ? Thanks

Old 01-03-2019, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Up

Up

Old 01-04-2019, 12:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

FYI this forum isn't massively busy so "bump"/"up" posts aren't really going to get you any more replies, it takes a good week for a post to fall off the front page.

With the screen, if you've checked battery and the connections (including those to the screen) then in all honesty you've done pretty much all anyone can do without a computer with a programming cable. The issue could be a module failure or sometimes just the module can need a reflash - see the attached TSB which is semi-relevant.

You have a few choices here: buy a genuine Jaguar programming cable and pay for a subscription to Jaguar's SDD Diagnostics software (not cheap), buy a non-genuine cable that usually comes with software (cheaper, but the software is not exactly easy to use), or take the car to the dealer and see if they can a) tell you what's wrong with it or b) just try reflashing the module, and in all honesty is probably the cheapest option unless you can find someone near you with the cable/software or a high-end programmer like the Autels.

Not the answer you wanted to hear, but this system uses a MOST Bus so not really easy to diagnose for the average DIYer.

Attached Files
Old 01-04-2019, 07:10 AM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

The serial MOST bus uses a daisy-chain topology or ring topology
Thank you for linking that wiki, this goes a long way to explain why these cars have so many electrical issues. Its like the the old christmas lights, one bulb goes out and the whole thing goes dark.

To the OP you would need a code reader that can access all modules on the car, the iCarSoft i930 seems popular for this. For the screen issues I've seen on the forums the common module related failures were navigation, bluetooth or audio connectivity modules. It can be any module really of which there are dozens, and some even required to be brand new replacements and coded specifically to your VIN by dealer. $$$$

Old 01-04-2019, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by litteredwithfaults
Thank you for linking that wiki, this goes a long way to explain why these cars have so many electrical issues. Its like the the old christmas lights, one bulb goes out and the whole thing goes dark.
To clarify, this isn't really an accurate analogy. In the XF the MOST bus is used for the infotainment (ugh, hate that word) screen, but most of the modules in the car are connected and communicate via CANBUS, both high speed (for things like throttle, suspension etc) and low-speed (for things like seat heaters and turn signals), which is a largely redundant vehicle area network. A failing module shouldn't cause others to be unhappy, but can usually be reasonably easily detected, so it's not like the old christmas lights where one failure takes out everything else. The only way I could see this happening is water damage to a unit causing a short on the canbus network, but that's pretty unlikely.

Originally Posted by litteredwithfaults
For the screen issues I've seen on the forums the common module related failures were navigation, bluetooth or audio connectivity modules. It can be any module really of which there are dozens, and some even required to be brand new replacements and coded specifically to your VIN by dealer. $$$$
Yep, for the screen those modules would be my prime suspects, however a lot of the newer aftermarket code readers will allow reprogamming of used modules off eBay etc to match the VIN so it's becoming more and more possible to avoid $$$$ fees from dealers. Say what you want about the Chinese lack of regard for intellectual property, but I respect their ingenuity in reverse engineering the offical car manufacturer's protocols for programming and putting into what is essentially a rugged Android tablet. The Autel unit I borrowed from a friend recently has a MUCH better interface than the official Jaguar SDD software and will do pretty much everything the software does, for all manufacturers, with regular updates over WiFi. I'm seriously considering buying one.

Last edited by davetibbs; 01-04-2019 at 11:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
litteredwithfaults (01-05-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

If you search around on the forum, someone did a good diagnostic of these issues. You get a fiber loop and bypass each module in turn and see when the screen fully boots up. When it does you have found the faulty module. Most commonly the ones under the passenger seat - Bluetooth, Sirius etc. most of those are easily replaced via eBay or similar and are not coded
Screen unit itself and some of the others are more expensive

The following users liked this post:
davetibbs (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BritCars
If you search around on the forum, someone did a good diagnostic of these issues. You get a fiber loop and bypass each module in turn and see when the screen fully boots up. When it does you have found the faulty module. Most commonly the ones under the passenger seat - Bluetooth, Sirius etc. most of those are easily replaced via eBay or similar and are not coded
Screen unit itself and some of the others are more expensive
Good info, thanks!